Costs and Eligibility
KU Medical Center's Counseling and Educational Support Services provides free or affordable care to students, residents and fellows.
Educational support, writing and psychological services are paid for by State of Kansas funds, student fees, grant funds, the Office of Graduate Medical Education, point-of-service fees and consultation/outreach programming fees in non-student/non-resident instances
Who is eligible for services?
- Currently enrolled KU Medical Center students (on any campus or completing distance learning courses). Medical residents or fellows may access services if they pay the "Education Support" fee.
- Partners, spouses and family members are welcome to participate in couples or family counseling with the student, resident or fellow.
- Once students or medical residents/fellows graduate or discontinue from their respective programs, they are no longer eligible to receive services.
What do current KU Medical Center students pay for services?
- Educational support: No fees or session limits
- Writing services: No fees or session limits
- Psychological services (individual, group, couples, or crisis counseling): No fees or session limits
- Psychiatric Services:
- $25 for the initial evaluation and $25 for the medication management sessions
- $25 for cancellation (less than 24-hour notice) or no-showed session
- There may be additional fees for certain licensure board review programs or psychological/educational testing services. A staff member will explain fees before the onset of these programs and services.
Students in the Speech and Hearing programs who are not currently taking a course on-site at the KU Medical Center campus may pay $96.30 per semester (July-Dec; Jan-June) to access services listed above.
Students taking a KU Medical Center-approved leave of absence and having valid health insurance may pay $96.30 per semester (July-Dec; Jan-June) to access services listed above.
KU Medical Center fellows and interns may pay $96.30 per semester (July-Dec; Jan-June) to access the services listed above. This fee is not prorated mid- or late-semester.
The Office of Graduate Medical Education funds all fees associated with Counseling and Educational Support Services for medical residents and fellows. There are no fees assessed to residents/fellows.
The KU Medical Center Executive Vice Chancellor (EVC) and KU School of Medicine (SOM) sponsor the Post-Baccalaureate and Pre-Matriculation Programs. In partnership with the EVC and SOM, Counseling and Educational Support Services provides the services listed above.
KU School of Nursing provides Counseling and Educational Support Services with a list of eligible School of Nursing NExus program students prior to each semester and funding for services. NExus students are eligible for Writing and Educational Support Services and do not pay a fee.
When time permits, our staff periodically provides consultation services and outreach programming to individuals and groups who are not KUMC students and residents.
For these services, we charge:
- $100/hour for a psychologist provider
- $68/hour for an education or writing specialist