WIMS Scholarship for AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar
WIMS scholarship application deadline: February 3, 2017
About the seminar:
The AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar is a three and a half-day program designed for women at the assistant professor level (tenure track is not required).
The program goal is to enhance knowledge and skills needed to support progress along the path to leadership in academic medicine. The seminar covers skills related to the formation and use of teams, central to effective collaborative in various mission-critical activities. Leadership topics are organized into workshop tracks that span communication skills, institutional finance and management issues. Small-group sessions focus on mentoring participants in career building skills, in narrative/CV development, and strategic thinking about career development.
This conference has become competitive in recent years. Therefore, we recommend that applicants use CVs that are in the KU School of Medicine Promotion and Tenure format, and that applications to WIMS include all the materials that you will be sending on to AAMC for our Recognition Committee to review. We cannot guarantee that all WIMS-sponsored candidates will be chosen by AAMC to attend the conference but it is our goal to ensure that applicants have the best opportunity based on their qualifications and the quality of their applications.
- The seminar registration fee is covered by the WIMS scholarship which covers three breakfasts, three lunches, one reception, one dinner, and coffee/refreshment breaks. If accepted to the seminar, selected scholarship candidates and/or their departments will be responsible flights, ground transportation, and hotel expenses.
- Once selected, recipients must contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions for how to pay for conference.
- WIMS will support up to two candidates from the School of Medicine (preferably one basic and one clinical scientist) who meet the criteria established by the WIMS Recognition Committee and WIMS Executive Council.
- School of Nursing or School of Health Professions women faculty may also apply but must have a joint appointment in the School of Medicine to qualify since the seminar is sponsored by the American Academy of Medical Colleges
Who is eligible:
- KUMC SOM women faculty members at the level of Assistant Professor (basic science or clinical faculty), including those who serve on all WIMS committees or as an officers or committee chair.
- Nominees do not qualify for this scholarship if serving as a member of the Dean's staff.
How to apply:
Submit all materials to email@example.com by Feb. 3, 2017.
- Candidate CV - KU School of Medicine Promotion and Tenure format recommended
- Evidence of financial support for candidate’s accommodations and travel expenses- from the candidate herself or her department, division, or center
- Evidence that candidate’s supervisor will protect candidate’s time to attend the the seminar in its entirety
- Candidate letter stating a) candidate’s interest in attending the seminar, b) why the candidate feels she is deserving to attend, and c) what benefits will be gained by the candidate and/or the WIMS membership and/or the university through this experience.
How applications will be evaluated:
- General qualifications and previous professional accomplishments of candidate
- Record of service at KUMC
- Past and potential support of WIMS through service and participation in WIMS-sponsored events
- Evidence must be provided for financial support for candidate’s accommodations and travel expenses - from the candidate herself or her department, division, and center
- Evidence must be provided that the candidate’s supervisor will protect candidate’s time to attend the seminar in its entirety
- Value of candidate’s attendance to candidate herself and to the institution
- Evaluation of candidate’s statement of interest
WIMS Role and Expectations Upon Selection:
- WIMS Recognition Committee will work with the candidate or candidate’s supervisor to prepare the AAMC-required “Letter of Intent and Support” by the deadline.
- Candidate will be responsible for her AAMC Application and converting her CV to AAMC Desired format prior to application deadline.
- Upon return, you will be asked to do two things:
- provide the WIMS Recognition Committee with a one-page summary of what you learned and how you plan to apply it, and
- participate in a noon panel presentation with other WIMS sponsored participants on the value gained by attending.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nov 21, 2016