Awards and Recognition Overview
Established in 2002 by our founding President Amy O'Brien-Ladner, MD, the WIMS organization continues to seek ways to further the professional goals of women on the University of Kansas Medical Center campus. The goal of the WIMS Recognition Committee is to establish mechanisms to recognize our female faculty and trainees as they achieve academic career success and satisfaction. In addition to the awards sponsored by WIMS in the list below, the committee strives to recognize our women faculty by submitting nominations for others listed on the Calendar.of Awards. Suggestions are always welcomed by the committee members.
- KUMC WIMS Sponsored Awards (to be presented at the Annual Awards Dinner, August 18, 2016)
- Patricia A. Thomas, MD Diversity & Inclusion Award
- This award is new and will be presented to Dr. Thomas' family in her honor, posthumously.
- Amy O'Brien-Ladner MD Innovation Award
- Carol Fabian, M.D., Professor of Medicine, University Distinguished Professor, the Morris Family Endowed Chair in Cancer Prevention, and the Director of the Breast Cancer Prevention Center. Co- leads the Cancer Prevention and Survivorship Program for the University of Kansas NCI designated Cancer Center and co-lead for the Survivorship Committee in the Southwest Oncology Group
- Marjorie S. Sirridge, MD Excellence in Medicine & Science Award (sponsored by The Prestwood Financial Group, part of VOYA)
- Lauren Aaronson, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor, School of Nursing and Deputy Director for Frontiers: The Heartland Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- Betty Drees MD Distinguished Alumnae Award
- Honorable Carol A. Beier, Justice, Kansas Supreme Court 2003-current, (She received her J.D. in 1985 from the University of Kansas School of Law, and a B.S. in Journalism in 1981 from the University of Kansas. She is being recognized for her work on issues related to women and family.
- Rising Star Award (2)
- Jessie Huisinga, PhD, Assistant Professor and Senior Scientist, Physicial Therapy & Rehabilitation Science and the Landon Center on Aging
- Julie A Carlsten Christianson, PhD, Assistant Professor, Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Soaring Star Award
- Megha Ramaswamy, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, Preventive Medicine and Public
- Robert M. Klein, PhD Trailblazer Award (sponsored by The Prestwood Financial Group, part of VOYA)
- Dale Abrahamson, PhD, (Basic Science) University Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Anatomy and Cell
- Stewart Babbott, MD, FACP, (Clinical Science) Professor of Internal Medicine and Ambulatory Medicine Interim Section Leader
- KU School of Medicine
- University of Kansas, Emily Taylor Women's Center
RECOGNITION of Members
Learn more about the KU WIMS Scholarship opportunities to attend one of the AAMC Early or Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Conferences.
Apr 27, 2016