Responsibilities of the Investigator
- Provide the facility with one or two males (2-4 months old) for each line.
- Important: Each male must be of proven fertility prior to sperm freezing.
- If you require that sperm from more than one male be frozen individually (rather than pooled), submit a requisition for each male as a separate line.
- Although we request a 2-4 month old male, we can process any strain or age of mouse; however, it should be noted that age and mouse strain will affect the fertility of the recovered sperm.
- Submit a Request Form Sperm Cryo to initiate your project.
Services Provided by the Facility
The facility is employing the technique for sperm cryopreservation published by the Jackson Laboratory (2008):
- Sacrifice male(s), harvest epididymides and collect sperm in cryoprotectant medium.
- Sperm will be pooled from all males submitted for a line.
- Freeze and store 15 straws in liquid nitrogen.
- Thaw a straw to determine the motility of frozen-thawed sperm.
Fee for Sperm Cryopreservation Service
REQUEST FORM SPERM CRYO
May 14, 2014