Is Online Learning right for you?
Sometimes you will have a choice between an online or traditional class. So, how do you determine which one is right for you?
Misperceptions of Online Courses
First, let's understand some common misperceptions about online courses.
- An online course will be easier and take less time.
- An online course will be self-paced; I can do it as quickly or slowly as I like.
- I won't have to interact with classmates in an online course.
- Online courses run themselves; the instructor doesn't have much to do or say.
Expectations of Online Courses
- Expect to spend three hours/credit hour each week on course work
- Expect to meet deadlines on course work and exams
- Expect to interact with classmates via discussion boards and collaborative tools
- Expect feedback from your instructor regarding course work, discussions, and other assignments within the time frame stated in the course syllabus.
- Expect to learn new technologies as required by courses
Next, you will learn what types of technologies online courses use.