Funding from the Graduate Student Council
If you are a registered student organization you may request funding from GSC. The guidelines as listed in the bylaws are reviewed below. In addition, the Graduate Student Council requires that a representative from your organization attend a minimum of three (3) GSC meetings per semester in order to maintain eligibility to receive funds from the GSC.
Article VI Funds and Budgets
The KUMC GSC has the authority to utilize
designated funds generated from the assessment of Student
Fees subject to the approval of the Dean or the Dean’s
designee, and to review through an annual report the expenditure
of Student Activity Fees. The report shall include summaries
from both accounts: “Safe Keeping” (KUMC
Budget Office) and State (Topeka) accounts.
Only registered Graduate Student student
organizations, campus organizations, or University-sponsored
or contracted activities financially or non-financiall supported
by Graduate Students at KUMC may receive an allocation from
Student Activity Fees.
- Approval of requests for such funds shall be on
condition of submission of budgets to and approval
by the KUMC GSC. Where such funds are allocated,
financial accountability shall be required.
- Upon funding request approval by the KUMC GSC, funds
to be submitted for reimbursement must have been spent
within the academic semester in which the funding request
The GSC treasurer, with assistance from the
GSC Executive Committee, will formulate an annual budget
in the fall semester and present it to the entire KUMC GSC
at the first meeting of the year for approval. Once approved,
expenditures specifically listed in the budget can be made
with approval of the Treasurer and one other Executive Committee
- Any funding request made to KUMC GSC must be completed
on-line by properly filling out the GSC Funding Request
Form. The request must be received by the due date
set by the KUMC GSC Executive Committee. Upon announcement
by the KUMC GSC Executive Committee, requests must
be presented by a representative from the requesting
organization at the KUMC GSC meeting designated by
the Executive Committee. Exceptions may be made at
the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- The maximum funding request per Graduate Student Group
per school semester will be determined at the start of
each academic year by the Executive Committee. This amount
will be disclosed to all Graduate Students prior to the
deadline of Requests for Graduate Student Funding.
- Any Funding Request Form must be accompanied by at least
one representative from the group requesting funding at
the meeting for which the funding request will be considered.
- In order to hold student organizations accountable for the money received from GSC for programming, a representative of the organization must actively participate in GSC by attending at least three GSC meetings in the semester that funding is given to be eligible to apply for funding in the next semester. A representative must attend three meetings in the fall semester to be eligible for spring funding and attend three meetings in the spring to be eligible for fall funding. If the GSC executive board decides to give any summer funding, eligibility will be determined by attendance in the spring semester.
- If an organization is ineligible for funding in a given semester due to insufficient attendance, a representative must attend at least three meetings that semester to regain eligibility. For example if an organization is ineligible for funding in the fall, representatives must attend three meetings in the fall to regain eligibility to apply for funding in the spring.
- This rule is waived for new student groups and for existing groups who are applying for GSC funding for the first time. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed and evaluated on an individual basis by the GSC executive board.
Safekeeping Check Request and Reimbursement
- Print a copy
of the Student
Safekeeping Account Request Form.
- Complete all sections.
Be sure to include the name of your
organization in the Special Instructions
section and sign at the bottom.
- Attach your original
receipt(s) to to the Student Safekeeping
Account Check Request Form.
- Bring the completed Check Request/Reimbursement
Form, along with your original itemized
expense receipt(s) and a copy of
a meeting agenda/announcement (if
appropriate) to the Graduate Student
Council (GSC) mailbox in the Calkins
Student Center in Orr-Major.
STUDENT SAFEKEEPING ACCOUNT