If you are a medical student and you are enrolling in a summer medical elective, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance from Student Financial Aid. If you want to be considered for aid for a summer elective, the Office of Student Financial Aid will need a completed "Medical Student Summer Electives Request for Additional Loans Application" form. It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of Student Financial Aid in advance of your enrollment in these electives if you need financial aid. Since summer electives are not required, the Office of Student Financial Aid does not assume that you will need financial aid for this time period.
It is the student's responsibility to:
1. Complete the "Medical Student Summer Electives Request for Additional Loans Application" form, including dates of course(s) and information regarding any funding sources that you will be given to take the course. The Office of Student Financial Aid will be verifying this information.
2. Depending on the type of financial aid that you will be offered, you may be required to complete an additional loan application. It is your responsibility to complete all necessary paperwork associated with the aid you will be offered.
3. Complete any necessary applications with the School of Medicine in a timely manner.
4. Make arrangements with Student Financial Accounting if you are unable to pick up a refund check.
The Office of Student Financial Aid will:
1. Establish a cost of attendance based on the dates of the course(s).
2. Determine your eligibility for aid. This will depend on the types of aid and amounts that you currently have, in addition to evaluating any other resources you have available for this time period. In some cases, only private loans may be available.
3. Process additional loan funds based on your specified request in the Summer Application document.
4. Notify you by email once the Summer Application has been processed.
Remedial Coursework during the Summer
If you are being required to remediate a course over the summer semester at KUMC and you want financial aid for this course, you will need to complete the Summer application.