The following polices are intended for your safety and convenience. We value all of our members and strive to provide a welcoming, friendly recreation environment.
Assumption of Risk
Kirmayer Fitness Center attempts to provide a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all participants. Each participant is responsible for making good choices in relation to his/her skills and health.
Participation in activity at the Kirmayer Fitness Center is on a voluntary basis. By voluntarily electing to use the Kirmayer Fitness Center, participants assume all risk for any harm or injury sustained.
Please take responsibility for your actions. Do not take risks or participant in activities that may not be appropriate for you. Furthermore, please do not engage in activities that may harm or injure others.
It is the responsibility of each participant to determine whether he/she has the proper condition of health to participant in activity at the Kirmayer Fitness Center. If there is uncertainty, it is strongly recommended he/she should consult a physician and/or student health services. The participant is responsible for all costs associated with this service.
Kirmayer Fitness Center does not provide any medical or accident insurance. It is advisable that each participant have his/her own medical insurance coverage. In exchange for participating in physical activities and/or exercises within the Kirmayer Fitness Center, participant understands they do so at their own risk. Participants hereby release and waive the University of Kansas Medical Center, the State of Kansas, the Kansas Board of Regents, KUMC Student Services, any corporation or entities affiliated with the foregoing, and all employees, officers, agents, representatives and volunteers of the foregoing kind, of or to Kirmayer Fitness Center or any other person, directly arising out of connection with his/her participation in or in attendance in the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
Participants further agree to hold harmless, indemnify and reimburse the Released Parties (see previous paragraph) from and for any sums, costs or expenses incurred by any of the Released Parties or paid by them to any person (including participant or insurers) in connection with any accident, loss, damage or injury sustained by participants or others in connection with the participant's attendance at the Kirmayer Fitness Center. This means that the participant will reimburse the Released Parties if anyone makes a claim against them based on damages or injuries the participant may suffer.
Lastly, please contact a member of the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff should an accident, injury or related incident occur. Your assistance in promoting safety is greatly appreciated.
- The Kirmayer Fitness Center is a controlled access facility. Only authorized users are allowed entry. The Kirmayer Fitness Center is intended for the use and enjoyment of current KUMC students and other authorized members of the KUMC Community. Membership is available to those over the age of 18.
- All eligible participants must present a valid KUMC (or Kirmayer Fitness Center) ID to the Membership Assistant at the Welcome Desk of the Kirmayer Fitness Center. Current members may enter the Kirmayer Fitness Center three times ONLY during one calendar year with the use of a United States government or state government issued non-University of Kansas/ KUMC document/identification card. Document/identification card must have a current picture of the member. For example, members could use their driver's license, DMV identification card, military ID or passport as long as it has an identifying picture and name on it. Other non-official IDs that do not have pictures, such as social security cards will not be accepted.
- Appropriate ID must be presented upon each entry to gain admittance to the Kirmayer Fitness Center. No ID = No Entry.
- ID cards are non-transferable and for the exclusive use of the person named on the card. Cards will be confiscated (involved parties subject to disciplinary action) if presented by anyone other than the rightful owner.
- Participants must possess and display upon request, appropriate identification. Kirmayer Fitness Center reserves the right to request identification from a participant at any time they are using facilities or services administrated or overseen by Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- Non-members, suspended members or expired members will not be allowed access to the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- Any misuse of valid IDs and improper entry is subject to disciplinary action including immediate removal and suspension from the Kirmayer Fitness Center and further university discipline.
- Photocopies of a KU or ASRFC photo ID are not acceptable.
- If the photo, name or ID number(s) are not visible on a KUMC or Kirmayer Fitness Center card, the card is not considered valid.
- Your cooperation in presenting proper identification is expected at all times.
- Memberships and program fees are non-transferable and non-refundable. Memberships will not be extended except in the case of physician documented medial illness, injury or leave.
Entry and exit of the Kirmayer Fitness Center must always be through the designated main entrance and exit. Individuals entering or exiting through non-designated doors are subject to disciplinary action.
Guest/ Day Pass
Visiting members that wish to engage in physical activity, exercise programing and or other programs are eligible to do so, under the following conditions:
- Be hosted by a current, validated Kirmayer Fitness Center member, and be a minimum age of 14. Guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Purchase a guest pass at a daily rate of $10 at the Welcome Desk.
- Guest pass is valid only on the date shown on the receipt.
- Daily guest passes expire at closing time for date issued.
- Guests are expected to complete a liability release form prior to entering the activity area.
- Guests are required to present a photo ID (i.e. Driver's License) to the membership staff at the time of purchase.
- The sponsoring member is responsible for the conduct and action of the guest(s).
- Guests are not allowed to enter/use Kirmayer Fitness Center if the sponsoring member is not present.
- A guest cannot host another guest.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center reserves the right to not approve a guest pass transaction.
- Soliciting to gain access to Kirmayer Fitness Center is prohibited.
Additional purchase of group fitness ($5/ single class) and/or special events must be purchased at time of entry in order to participate in additional Kirmayer Fitness Center programs and services.
Non-members who will not be participating in activities which are sponsored, administered and/or managed by Kirmayer Fitness Center; or spectators of an event sponsored by an entity renting facility space within the Kirmayer Fitness Center, may enter the Kirmayer Fitness Center. The following three classifications of non-participants are allowed into the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- Spectators who wish to view an Intramural Contest
- Spectators of a Special Event
- Members of a tour
Spectator(s) who are family members of an Intramural or Special Event participant can enter if they are 18 or older.
- The participant and spectator must complete a Non-Participation Agreement at the Welcome Desk before being allowed to enter.
Spectator(s) under the age of 17, who are family members of an Intramural or Special Event participant, may enter under the following conditions:
- They may watch at court side seating or specified areas (not on playing surface) within the building as long as they are accompanied by an adult (other than the participant of the Intramural competition or Special Event) at all times. The adult must be 18 years of age or older.
- The participant and accompanying adult must complete a Non-Participant Agreement. Please bring the minor's name next to the participant's name.
- Unattended minors are never allowed.
Spectators are not allowed for the following activities:
- Kirmayer Fitness Center Group Fitness Classes
- Personal Training/Group Training/Boot Camp
- Informal/Open Recreation activities
- Exercise activities within the CST areas and track
The participant is responsible for the conduct of their spectator(s).The staff of Kirmayer Fitness Center reserves the right to eject or remove a spectator(s) or non-members(s) from the Kirmayer Fitness Center at any time.
Activity areas past the turnstile and Welcome Desk are not open access areas for members of the media.
All picture/video requests must be approved by the director of the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
Members of the media must present media credentials with a photo ID when making a picture/video or interview request.
Pictures/video may not be taken in the locker rooms, or restrooms. Pictures of a broad or general activity area of the Kirmayer Fitness Center may be taken with individual participants in the background. When taking pictures/video of individual participants their permission must be sought and received before pictures/video may be taken.
Members of the media must be escorted by a Fitness Specialist when taking pictures/video.
If a picture/video or interview request is made after 5:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday, approval may not occur until the next business day. Weekend requests will be handled on the first business day of the week.
Each media member taking pictures must sign-in on the Media Sign-In Sheet and receive a media hang tag located at the Welcome Center before they enter through the turnstile to take pictures or shoot video.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center facility area is intended for appropriate university publicity posting only, no public posting is allowed of any kind without proper prior permission by Director.
- No bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, strollers or scooters are allowed in the Kirmayer Fitness Center. Designated bicycle racks are provided for use outside the Kirmayer Fitness Center facility.
- Use of informal activity spaces when not scheduled/reserved (including priority scheduling) is first come first serve.
- Animals are not permitted within the Kirmayer Fitness Center and surrounding areas, with the exception of service providers. Please refer to the University policy pertaining to care of animals on University property.
- Spitting in the common areas or activity areas such as courts, track, CST, etc.... is not permitted. Trash cans are provided in all areas for spitting.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- Personal items shall not be left or placed on the floor or on equipment. Individuals may utilize spaces provided in hanging rack or lockers in the locker room. Locking up items is highly recommended.
- Staff members are not to hold equipment, valuables or bags for participants.
- Tobacco of any form is NOT permitted in the Kirmayer Fitness Center or on University property.
- Use of alcohol and/or drugs is NOT permitted in the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- No item(s) or person(s) shall be placed or occupy space directly in front of emergency access doors.
- Audio selection for the Kirmayer Fitness Center is left to the discretion of the Fitness Specialist on duty, and/or staff.
- Headphones are required for personal stereos (exception: activities within the Group Fitness Studios).
- Authorized personnel ONLY in the Equipment Checkout and Welcome Desk areas.
- Found items should be turned in at Equipment Checkout. Inquiries regarding lost items should be made at the Welcome Center. See lost and found policies for information regarding how to acquire lost items.
- A closing announcement will be made at approximately 15 minutes prior to closing. All participants are expected to finish their activity, re-rack all weight equipment, return any checked-out equipment, finish showering and exit the Kirmayer Fitness Center by closing time.
16a.Participants using the pool must exit 15 minutes prior to facility closing time.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center facilities may not be used for private or commercial purpose unless such activity has been approved by Kirmayer Fitness Center staff. Examples of prohibited activity include (but are not limited to): personal training, private instruction, sales, etc.
- It is requested that areas within the Kirmayer Fitness Center and equipment be used for intended purposes.
- It is requested that members report any concerns about the facility and/or equipment to the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff as soon as possible.
- Please contact a member of the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff should an accident, injury or related incident occur. Your assistance in promoting safety is greatly appreciated.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center staff reserves the right to make judgment and the final decision on policies not covered in the participant policies.
Food and Drink
- Food is NOT allowed past the entrance turnstiles (exception: food may be allowed for special events if prior approval/arrangements are granted by the Senior Coordinator).
- Drinks are NOT allowed into any activity area with a wood floor.
- Water and Sport Drinks ONLY are allowed past the turnstiles in activity areas without a wood floor. Water and Sport Drinks must be in a container with a closed lid (screw on or secure push down). Paper/Plastic cups with plastic lids and straws (ex. Quick Trip or McDonalds cup) are NOT allowed.
- All containers are subject to substance check at any time by the KU Recreation Services staff.
- Glass containers are prohibited at all times.
- Chewing gum is NOT permitted in the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- Proper athletic attire is strongly recommended at all times when participating.
- Clothing must meet public decency standards. KFC staff reserves the right to make a decision regarding attire.
- Full torso must be covered (men and women) and shorts or pants must be worn. Members wearing clothing with inappropriate messages or language will be asked to turn the clothing inside out.
- Men must wear a full back t-shirt while in the CST (including free weights) area.
- Participants must wear a close-toed, non-marking rubber soled athletic shoes while participating in the Kirmayer Fitness Center with the following exceptions:
- Group Fitness Studio for specific classes such as Yoga
- Locker Room areas
- Entrance of the Kirmayer Fitness Center prior to locker room changing area.
- Walking through (non-participation) to one of the areas specified in the above. Sock or bare feet are not allowed as one is walking through to another area.
- Use of the Kirmayer Fitness Center is a privilege and all participants are expected to respect the rights of others. Members and guests are expected to display acceptable and appropriate social behavior while participating in the Kirmayer Fitness Center. Kirmayer Fitness Center and its staff reserve the right to refuse access or remove any individual(s) whose behavior is inappropriate or in violation of University rules and regulations. Your cooperation is appreciated.
- Inappropriate behavior which is not to be tolerated includes (list not all inclusive):
- Obscene Gestures or Actions
- Abuse of Staff in any form
- Profane or indecent language
- If a participant, member or guest of a Kirmayer Fitness Center program or facility is directed to leave a facility, program, contest or activity for misconduct:
- he/she must leave the facility immediately and
- he/she must meet with the appropriate person(s) over the program/facility in which the misconduct occurred within three working days.
- If the participant, member or guest does not meet with the appropriate staff person within three working days, he/she shall immediately be ineligible for further access or competition in any program or facility until he/she has met with the appropriate staff person for the program or facility in which the misconduct occurred.
- Once the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff has informed a participant, member or guest of the necessity to see the appropriate person over the program/facility for misconduct, inappropriate behavior or ejection, it is the individual's responsibility to schedule an appointment with the appropriate staff person to review his/her behavior or subsequent eligibility to participant in the program/facility. If discipline is necessary, it will begin after the meeting with the staff person or designer. However, depending on the severity of the incident Kirmayer Fitness Center reserves the right to suspend access to a participant indefinitely until a meeting with the appropriate staff member has been conducted.
- If discipline is necessary from a individual program, individuals may still participate in other programs or have access to facilities managed by Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- If discipline is necessary from the Kirmayer Fitness Center, he/she may not participate in any programs within the Kirmayer Fitness Center.
- Any incident involving a participant, member or guest who strikes, hits, pushes, threatens physical harm, spits on, kicks or verbally abuses a Kirmayer Fitness Center staff, participant, spectator, user, member or guest or improper use of KUMC/ Kirmayer Fitness Center identification will result in immediate suspension from all Recreation Services programs and facilities. Furthermore, all relevant information related to the incident may be forwarded to the Office of Student Services and/or KUPD if deemed appropriate by the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff.
- Grabbing or hanging of the rim or net is prohibited.
- Food and drink are NOT allowed on the gymnasium courts.
- Proper athletic clothing and athletic shoes are required to be worn in the gymnasium. No sandals, clogs, bare feet or turf shoes (list not all inclusive).
- Kirmayer Fitness Center strongly recommends no jewelry be worn during participation in the gymnasium areas.
- Participants MUST seek assistance from facility staff for adjustments to the volleyball, badminton or other setups.
- Please check the priority scheduling of the gymnasium courts available at the Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout area.
- Winning team/player stays on the court, losing team/player rotates off the court. (Exception: during busy times procedure will be 10 on/ 10 off).
- Track direction for participant activity:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday = Counter Clockwise
- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday = Clockwise
- Track is intended for runners, joggers and walkers. Spectators are requested not to stand at the rail.
- Walkers should position themselves to the inside lane and runners to the two outer lanes.
- Passing should be done in the outer lanes.
- Participants must wear a close-toed, non-marking rubber soled athletic shoe while on track.
- Participants may walk on the track in street clothes as long as indoor athletic shoes are worn.
- Stretching should be confined to the designated stretching areas.
CST (Cardiovascular/Strength Training) Area
- Proper athletic attire must be worn; rubber sole, closed heal and closed toe shoes are required at all times.
- No food or gum, closeable drink bottles only.
- Please do not store personal items on floor; utilize hanging racks and lockers. It is recommend to lock up your personal items.
- Please wipe machines with disinfectant before and after use.
- Please do not block emergency exits.
- Personal training services may ONLY be performed by Kirmayer Fitness Center trainers. NO outside personal training.
- The use of loud or offensive language is not permitted.
- Please report broken or malfunctioning equipment to staff.
- If you are unaware of the proper usage of equipment, please ask.
- Equipment may not be modified or used in a way in which it was not intended for by manufacture.
- The use of a spotter in heavy lifts is encouraged.
- Please maintain control of weights at all times, slamming, dropping and throwing of weights and/or equipment is prohibited.
- Weight collars are required for free weight lifts utilizing bars.
- Please return equipment to appropriate storage areas and racks.
- No equipment may leave the CST, dumbbells and plates must remain on rubberized flooring. Machines shall not be moved.
- Please remain at least three feet away from mirrors or walls.
- Please vacate weight machines between sets. Allow others to "work in" if you are performing more than one set.
- Maximum time limit on cardio equipment is 30 minutes during peak hours.
- Machines may not be reserved in advance, unattended machines are considered open.
- Please be courteous to others. Kirmayer Fitness Center staff has the authority in rule interpretation and enforcement. Failure to comply with any of the policies may result in temporary or permanent loss of use privileges.
- No chalk in CST 2.
- Court 1 is available for racquetball, handball or wally-ball. Court 2 is available for racquetball, handball or squash.
- Court reservations may be made one day in advance or on the day by calling 913.588.1532 or by stopping by the Kirmayer Fitness Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout area.
- Participants may reserve a maximum of one court one hour per day. Only one daily reservation per call or visit.
- Racquetball court use is for a one hour time period beginning on the hour.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center strongly recommends the use of protective eye-wear when playing racquetball, handball or squash. Protective eye-wear can be checked out at the Equipment Checkout area.
- Participants MUST seek assistance from Kirmayer Fitness Center staff for court conversion (racquetball/squash) to minimize damage.
- Participants shall refrain from the deliberate abuse of the wall, floors, doors and racquets. Participants who damage Kirmayer Fitness Center racquets will be charged replacement costs.
- Reservations are valid for the entire hour regardless if the individual who reserved the court is present. Others may use the court until the reservation is claimed.
- Food and drink are NOT allowed on the racquetball courts.
- Proper athletic clothing and shoes are required to be worn on the racquetball courts. No sandals, clogs, bare feet or turf shoes (list not all inclusive).
- Storage of personal items is not allowed on wood floor inside or outside of the courts. Please utilize bench or lockers.
Group Fitness Room (Studio 1 & 2)
- Food and drink are NOT allowed in the Group Fitness Studios.
- Only authorized staff is to operate audio equipment.
- Equipment provided for group fitness classes may not be removed from the Group Fitness Studio at any time.
- While stretching, shoes are not permitted on any walls.
- For some activities, bare feet and/or socks are permissible in lieu of closed-toe, non-marking rubber soled athletic shoes. Shoes will be worn outside of the studio at all times.
- Please contact a member of the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff should an accident, injury or related incident occur. Your assistance in promoting safety is greatly appreciated.
Locker Rooms and Day Use Lockers
- Kirmayer Fitness Center is NOT responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
- Day use lockers are available at no cost during hours of operation. Personal locks may be used on any of these day use lockers. These lockers must be cleared and any lock removed by the end of the day.
- Any locks remaining at the end of the day are subject to being cut at the owner's expense and all items confiscated. Items confiscated will be stored in Lost and Found. Please view Lost and Found policies.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center is not responsible for theft or damage to personal property left in lockers.
- Kirmayer Fitness Center requests that the locker rooms be used for its intended purposes:
- Storage of personal items
- Changing of attire
- Towels are provided at the Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout counter. Participants can return towels to the towel return counter. 7. Individuals must be 15 years of age or older to be in the locker room without a guardian. If an individual is younger he/she must be escorted by a guardian.
- No member of the opposite sex may be in the locker rooms or restrooms.
Lost and Found
- Lost and found items are stored at the Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout area.
- Valuable times will be stored until the Friday of a given week and then taken to KUPD (diamond earrings, wallets, iPods, etc.) Every Friday, valuable items will be taken to KUPD. Pagers will be taken to Dykes library on the Friday of the given week.
- Other items will be discarded or donated every Friday. Basketball and books are not considered a valuable item.
- Participants claiming the items must present identification. Name and KUMC/Kirmayer Fitness Center ID card number will be logged.
- Sports equipment and towels are available at Welcome Center/Equipment Checkout with a valid and current KU photo ID card.
- KUMC/Kirmayer Fitness Center photo ID cards must be presented at time of equipment check in.
- Participants are financially responsible for any loss or damage to equipment while it is in their possession, including equipment used by a sponsored guest.
- Equipment not returned (or equipment damaged) is subject to replacement charge(s). Replacement charges are dependent upon item(s) not returned/damaged.
- Equipment offered for checkout is intended for the recreational participant.
Kirmayer Fitness Center provides organizational tours for groups or individuals upon request. Groups or individuals may contact the Welcome Center to establish an appointment for a tour. Should a small group of individuals request an impromptu tour of the Kirmayer Fitness Center, we can generally accommodate their wishes. A tour will be conducted by a Fitness Specialist, Coordinators, Membership Assistants, and/ or Director of Kirmayer Fitness Center. Facility/Activity participation is not associated with a tour. In addition, there is no age minimum for a tour.
During all emergency situations it is expected and asked that you follow the direction of the Kirmayer Fitness Center staff on and off duty. Should an emergency situation call for sudden removal from the Kirmayer Fitness Center, please exit through the nearest emergency exit door immediately. Please follow University emergency policies for all emergencies. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Aug 01, 2017