Determining if Attendance is an Essential Element for a Course
The following questions provided by OCR can assist faculty and disability services in determining if attendance is an essential element of a course:
- Is there classroom interaction and dialogue between the instructor and students?
- Is there important classroom discussion between students facilitated by the instructor?
- Does student participation constitute a significant component of the learning process for the class?
- Does the fundamental nature of the course rely on student participation as an essential method for learning?
- To what degree does a student's failure to attend class constitute a significant loss to the educational experience of other students in the class?
- Are attendance requirements listed in the course syllabus? What are the classroom practices and policies regarding attendance?
- Which method is used to calculate a final grade for the course
Nov 19, 2013