International Student Health Insurance
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students enrolled at the University of Kansas Medical Center, regardless of their course load.
The University of Kansas Medical Center offers a health insurance policy for all international student students. This plan, selected for the Kansas Board of Regents by the State of Kansas, is offered through United Healthcare Student Resources.
International students who wish to enroll in the United Healthcare plan will need to complete the the International Insurance Enrollment Form and email it to Alexandria Harkins Porto in the Office of International Programs. The form will be uploaded to United Healthcare through a secure file.
Electronic Waiver Process
Students who have an alternative insurance plan may request a waiver of the KUMC plan, as long as their insurance meets or exceeds the Kansas Board of Regents requirements. To receive a waiver, students must complete the online waiver process through ECI Services on or before the deadline for a given term. Students will receive email communication each semester from ECI Services. Once the waiver form is submitted, ECI Services will email the student a determination of whether the waiver application was approved or denied.
The intent of these insurance requirements is for all international students to have excellent, continuous insurance coverage while studying at the University of Kansas Medical Center. If you have further questions after reading the information provided by this website, please contact Alexandria Harkins Porto in the Office of International Programs or Valerie Noack in the Office of the Registrar.
2018/2019 Insurance Requirements
If all the insurance requirements are not specified in your summary of benefits, additional documentation will be required.
- Unlimited Maximum Benefit for covered medical expenses.
- Coverage for essential benefits (with no dollar limits), as defined under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This includes:
- mental health services
- maternity benefits
- preventive care, and coverage for pre-existing conditions
- pediatric dental and vision coverage
- A policy year deductible of $500 or less
- Maximum total out-of-pocket expenses cannot exceed $6,350 per member ($12,700 per family) with preferred providers. Deductibles, coinsurance, and copays all count toward the out-of-pocket maximum.)
- A minimum of 80% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to Network providers.
- Plan is not emergency/urgent care only.
- at least $100,000 in coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation.
- Coverage includes effective dates spanning the entire period for which the waiver is requested.
- Fall: 8/1/18 through 12/31/18
- Spring: 1/1/19 through 5/31/19
- Summer: 6/1/19 through 7/31/19
- Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and the insurance company contact phone # in the U.S.
- Insurer has a base of operation in the U.S. or has a U.S. based claims payer.
- Coverage is provided by the student's employer, or it backed by the full faith and credit of the student's home government.
- Insurer is authorized to do business in Kansas and is providing coverage under a policy that has been filed and approved by the Kansas Department of Insurance.