Only students who are selected for Verification receive an email notification that this requirement must be completed. This will also be reflected on the To Do list in the Student Center.
What does it mean to be selected for Verification?
When a student is selected for verification, it means that they have been chosen to have the information they reported on the FAFSA "verified" or checked for accuracy. Sometimes students are randomly selected for verification, and sometimes a student is selected based on criteria established prior to the school year.
A student who is selected for Verification must complete this process before any Federal Aid can be awarded.
What is involved in the review process for Verification?
- A Financial Aid Coordinator will compare your tax documents to the information that was submitted on the FAFSA.
- If any conflicting information exists or if any documentation is missing, the Financial Aid Coordinator will contact you via KUMC email to let you know what we still need. The additional form(s) may be attached as a Microsoft Word attachment. You are encouraged to read the attachments carefully and follow the directions stated on the document(s).
- Any submitted documentation (which include signed written statements, tax documents, and signed and completed forms) must have your ID number on the form for identification purposes.
- We will communicate using your KUMC email address. To protect your privacy, we will not communicate this information using any other email address that is provided, so please be sure to check your KUMC email frequently.
- Once all documentation has been received, including any requests for additional, conflicting, or missing information, the Financial Aid Coordinator will make necessary correction to your FAFSA on your behalf. You will then receive notification from the Federal Processor regarding the updates in a new Student Aid Report (SAR).
When Verification is complete and if there are no other items to complete on the To Do list, you receive an award notification.
Deadline to complete verification for 2014-2015 for loan awarding is May 1, 2015. For Pell eligible students submitting documents past May 1, 2015, please contact FAS for deadline details.
Deadline to complete verification for 2015-2016 for loan awarding is May 1, 2016. For Pell eligible students submitting documents past May 1, 2016, please contact FAS for deadline details.
Documentation Required: Students are encouraged to read the Verification Worksheet carefully and submit all required documentation to be awarded in a timely manner. If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool was used, no additional documents are required other than the appropriate Verification Worksheet. If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool was not used, an IRS Tax Transcript Summary must be obtained and a photcopy must be submitted. You may request a tax transcript from the IRS online here. If you have not already, you will need to create an account by providing your name and email address, your SSN, and answering some security questions. Select the Higher Education/Student Aid section and select the correct trancript year. Your transcript will be emailed to you in which you can print or send electronically with your Verification Worksheet to email@example.com. Verification Worksheet for the appropriate award year must also be submitted. Any information that is incomplete, not clear, or inconsistent will need to be clarified, so email notifications containing attachments specific to the situation will be sent out.
For Dependent Students ONLY:
- Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students 2016-17
- A copy of parent(s)' IRS Tax Transcript Summary, if filed
- A copy of student's IRS Tax Transcript Summary, if filed
Please note: The Verification Worksheet must be signed by both a parent and the student.
For Independent Students ONLY:
- The Verification Worksheet - Independent Students
- A copy of student's (and spouse, if married) IRS Tax Transcript Summary, if filed
Please note: The Verification Worksheet must be signed by the student. If married, spouse signature is optional.
Please be aware, if you receive your financial aid award, and then make changes to the FAFSA that result in you being selected for verification, we are required to put a hold on future financial aid disbursements until the verification process is completed.
It is understood that verification can be confusing at times, so please contact our office if you have any questions throughout the process. Thank you for your help and cooperation as we complete the verification process.