Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
The unsubsidized loan is NOT based on financial need. The student is responsible for paying the interest, which begins accruing as soon as the loan is disbursed. There is a 6 month grace period after graduation or dropping below half-time before repayment is required. The unsubsidized loan DOES accrue interest while the student is in school. Students can make interest payments or let the interest capitalize.
Deadline: Apply during the current academic year
First time borrowers at KUMC must complete the online entrance counseling at https://studentloans.gov
|July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2013||6.8%||6.8%|
|July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014||3.86%||5.41%|
|July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015||4.66%||6.21%|
|July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016||4.29%||5.84%|
|July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017||3.76%||5.31%|
|July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018||4.45%||6%|
|July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019||5.05%||6.6%|
Loan Origination Fees:
Beginning October 1st, 2018, Federal Direct Lending will deduct a 1.062% origination fee on any new Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans.
Does the unsubsidized loan have to be repaid? Yes. Repayment begins 6 months after graduation or dropping below half-time.
- Dependent Undergraduate students $7,500
- Independent Undergraduate students $12,500
- Graduate students $20,500. MPH/MHS students $33,000 (MPH/MHS student enrolled for more than 9 months may be eligible for additional funds)
- Medical Students $40,500 (third and fourth year medical students enrolled for more than 9 months may be eligible for additional funds)
- See annual and aggregate loan limit page for more details
Need based: No
Enrollment: Must be enrolled at least half-time. For specific information on undergraduate and graduate enrollment please read KUMC's Enrollment Information.
Please contact our office at 913-588-5170 for more information or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.