Who is eligible for Writing Center help?
- All enrolled students (undergrad and grad) as well as residents. Unfortunately, med center and hospital staff are not eligible unless they pay a fee via Counseling and Education Support.
What can I expect in an appointment?
- Our tutors will probably first ask what you want to work on.
- If you already have specific goals for your consultation, please let them know!
- We will most likely ask you to discuss your assignment and/or topic.
- We usually ask you to read your paper aloud (not only do you hear the flow and organization of your writing, but you also catch errors you hadn't seen before).
- We help you find both strengths and weaknesses in your paper.
- We suggest ways to revise: organize ideas, develop a focus, enhance academic language, and so on.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- The written assignment from your professor.
- Your draft, outline, and/or notes.
- Sources for your project.
Do I have to send my paper before my appointment?
- It's not a necessity. We can go over the paper with you in the session. Bring either a hard copy or your laptop at the time of your appointment!
If I haven't written my paper yet, can I still see someone to talk about it?
- Absolutely! Our help begins well before you write your paper, e.g., brainstorming or outlining.
What if I can't get an appointment?
- Call or email to be notified of an opening in the schedule! We'll let you know ASAP if one occurs.
- You can submit your paper online. Be aware that if your document is more than 8 pages, we ask for 5-7 business days.
If I had an appointment already in the week, can I send an email submission?
- Unfortunately not. To serve all the KUMC community equitably, the Writing Center policy is that a client may make only one appointment per week, which includes all of our services.
Does the Writing Center do walk-ins?
- Yes, every Monday and Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m. If you have already been to the Writing Center once and need a second session the same week, you can book a walk-in appointment online or simply drop in to ask us if we has time to meet with you.
How do I cancel an appointment?
- If you need to cancel an appointment, cancel online or phone us at least 24 hours in advance of the appointment. For cancelling online, go to the scheduling system or call either 913-588-6580 or 913-945-8477.
Do you format in AMA, APA, or other styles?
- No, we don't. However, we have up-to-date manuals to help you figure out formatting. We can also help you use the manual in your discipline to answer difficult questions about formatting.
Is there help for improving my study skills?
- We have educational specialists. You can look them up on the Counseling and Educational Support Services homepage.
What if I need more writing help?
- You can arrange regular appointments over several weeks.
- You can contact us and we'll put you in touch with an editor/proofreader who for a fee will correct your draft.