Sabbatical Leave Forms, Policies, and Schedules are available here.
Sabbatical Leave - Requirements and Process
Each year in September, the School of Medicine Faculty Affairs and Development (FAD) Office sends out a call for sabbatical leave application packets for sabbaticals to be taken the following fiscal year. Application packets are accepted in the FAD office from October 1 to November 10, to be presented to the Executive Dean for consideration. Once approved by the Executive Dean, the final documentation is forwarded to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs by December 1 of the year before the requested sabbatical.
The application packet should include:
- A proposal from the faculty member to the department chair, including a statement of purpose for the requested sabbatical and plan for coverage of duties.
- Letter of support from department chair to the Executive Dean.
- Letter of support from Executive Dean to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs.
Send the statement of purpose and the letter of support from the chair to the FAD Office by November 10 for review by the Executive Dean. Once reviewed and approved, the Executive Dean's letter of support will be added to the application and forwarded to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The KUMC Office of Faculty Affairs website contains additional information.
The Sabbatical Leave Policy
The policy can be found in the KUMC Handbook for Faculty on pages 67-69 (V. Leave Policies, A. Sabbatical Leave). Here are several excerpts :
- Sabbatical leave may be granted in "strictly meritorious cases" to a full-time faculty member on the tenure-track or tenured who has continuously served the university for six years or longer.
- Sabbatical leave is a means of promoting faculty development. It may be granted for the purpose of pursuing advanced study, conducting research studies, or securing appropriate industrial or professional experience.
- When granted sabbatical leave, the faculty member must return to full time service at KUMC for a period of at least one year immediately following the expiration of the period of leave.
- A faculty member returning from sabbatical leave is expected to file a brief report regarding his/her leave with the office of the appropriate dean and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs within 90 days.
- Funding for the leave must be arranged by the individual or department.
- Sabbatical leaves are never automatic for a faculty member. Applicants applying for leave should prepare their applications carefully as they would for any competitive award and include sufficient information about his or her professional work and sabbatical proposal to enable evaluation.
- The call for applications for sabbatical leave is issued each fall by the Office of Faculty Affairs. Applications must be received by the office of the Executive Dean by the deadline (date determined annually).