Counseling and Support Services
Personal Counseling Services
Salina medical students have three options for obtaining confidential personal counseling services:
- Local personal counseling services are available to Salina school of medicine students through:
Veridian Behavioral Health
501 S. Santa Fe, Suite 300
To make an appointment, contact: Peggy Allred, 785-452-4930
- KUMC Counseling and Educational Support Services offers psychiatric services and psychological services. Students are welcome to travel to Kansas City for an appointment. Additionally, counseling personnel travel to the Salina campus 1-2 times each semester to meet individually with students. Please contact Lucy Kollhoff for upcoming dates.
- KUMC Counseling and Education Support Services offers personal counseling through secure ITV connections, which can be arranged through Mike Kollhoff at 785-822-0405.
Free online mental health screening program for KUMC students can be accessed at http://www.mentalhealthscreening.org/screening/KUMC.
For urgent assistance, please contact KUMC Counseling and Educational Support Services at 913-588-6580.
Educational Support Services
Mike Kollhoff, Medical Education Instruction Specialist on the Salina campus, is available to help students develop the practices they need to be successful lifelong learners, including: study and time management skills, learning and test-taking strategies and learning style counseling. For more in depth or topic-specific supports, he can connect you with the appropriate content expert or other resources.
- Content Connections - Students may participate via ITV in the Content Connections program based on the Kansas City campus. In these sessions, students discuss high-yield topics from the previous week and connect those concepts with previously learned materials. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and Mike Kollhoff to participate.
- Question Groups - students will receive 1 USMLE-style question by email each day through a web-based quiz program. These multiple-choice questions offer text boxes for students to provide the rationale behind the selection.
- KUMC-based learning specialists - Students may also engage with any of the learning specialists based on the Kansas City campus via secure ITV. Contact email@example.com with questions or go to https://medconsult.kumc.edu to schedule an appointment.
- Student-to-Student Assistance - If a specific tutoring need is identified, the school can assist in connecting a student with another who has mastered that content area. Contact Mike Kollhoff for assistance.
- Online Resources - Multiple PDF handouts and learning strategies are available at www.kumc.edu/student-affairs/counseling-and-education-support-services/educational-support-services/resources.html. Topic categories include "Study Smarter, Not Harder;" "Improve your Test Tasking Strategy;" and "Take Control of your Time."
- Student Organizations - There are over 80 student organizations covering a broad range of topics. See a complete listing here: https://kumc.campuslabs.com/engage/organizations.