KUSM-Salina Scholarly and Research Activities
Completed and Current Projects since January 2012
*KUSM-Salina medical student
KUSM-Salina faculty/staff in bold
I. Poster presentations
A. Local/regional meetings
1. Dupy, D, McDaniel E, Kraft R, Keene Woods N, Williams K, Reyes J, and Chesser A. Assisting Resident Physician Communication During a Patient Encounter, 20th Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, April 2012, Wichita, KS.
2. Peterson, L, Snyder J, Walz D, Schmidt A, Kraft R, Reyes J, and Kellerman R. A Comparison of the Concordance of Pneumococcal Vaccination Using Clinical Data Repository Data, Kansas Academy of Family Physicians Annual Conference, Wichita, KS, June 2013.
3. Schmidt, A, Walz, D, Peterson, L, Snyder, J, Kraft, R, Reyes, J, Chesser, A, and Kellerman, R. Adult Pneumococcal Vaccine Immunization Rate Improvement in a Midwestern Family Medicine Residency Program, Kansas Healthcare Collaborative Fifth Annual Summit on Quality, Topeka, KS, October 18, 2013.
4. Kraft, R. Improving an Uninsured Population's Colorectal Cancer Screening Rate through Mailed Fecal Occult Blood Testing, 22nd Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, April 17, 2014, Wichita, KS.
5. Kuhlman, K, Kraft R, Melhado T, Smothers K, and Rempel, S*. Retrospective Data Review of Smoking Rates Following Implementation of the 5A Method of Smoking Cessation, 22nd Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, April 17, 2014, Wichita, KS.
6. Kollhoff, M and Cathcart-Rake, W. Integrating Basic Science Concepts with Clinical Fundamentals for M1/M2 Students Using a Modified Question and Concept Connection Group Format Facilitated by M3/M4 Students and Smoky Hill Family Practice Residents, Medical Alumni Innovative Teaching Award grant, 2013. (poster presentation, KUMC Medical Education Retreat, May 8, 2014)
7. Smith, CG*, Paolo, AM, and Carroll, M. Estimated Blood Loss During Scheduled Cesarean Deliveries is Vastly Underestimated. KUMC Student Research Forum, March 25, 2015.
B. National/international meetings
1. Mack, J, Shaw, P, Butler, S, and Kollhoff, L. Campus Expansion 101-Training More Doctors for the Land of Oz, Association of Standardized Patient Educators Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, June 4, 2012.
2. Robinson, M, Cathcart-Rake, W, Easterday, L, and Chumley, H. Birth of a Medical School-The Salina Experience, International Association for Medical Science Educators 16th Annual Meeting, Portland, Oregon, June 24-26, 2012.
3. Kraft. R. Improving an Uninsured Population's Colorectal Cancer Screening Rate Though Mailed Fecal Occult Blood Testing, National Association of Community Health Centers 2013 Community Health Institute & Expo, Chicago, IL, August 25, 2013.
4. Kraft, R. Resident "Self-Directed QI" Satisfies ABFM Part IV Module and Improves Patient Care, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, 47th STFM Annual Spring Conference, San Antonio, TX, May 5, 2014.
5. Dill, E*, Robinson, M, and Easterday, L. Producing a Student Tutorial for Teaching Basic Sciences to Medical Students, International Association of Medical Science Educators 18th Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN, June 7-10, 2014.
6. Kraft R. Teaching Population Management with a Patient Registry: Implications for Resident Education and Patient Care. Learn Serve Lead 2014: The AAMC Annual Meeting, November 7-11, 2014, Chicago, IL.
7. Kollhoff, M, Owings, CS, Cathcart-Rake, W. Transitioning to Clerkships: An Innovative Longitudinal Approach to Bridge the Gap, IAMSE annual meeting, San Diego, CA, June 13-15, 2015.
8. Smith, C* and Carroll, M. Teaching Can Improve Accuracy and Precision of Estimating Blood Loss in Simulated Obstetrical Scenarios. 2015 ACOG Joint District Meeting (Districts V, VI, VII, VIII & IX Annual Meeting), Denver, CO, September 18-20, 2015.
9. Graff, T*, Paolo, A, Cathcart-Rake, W, Easterday, L, and Robinson, M. Student Perspectives of the Advantages and Disadvantages of Studying at a Regional Medical Camps (RMC), 20th Annual IAMSE meeting, peer-reviewed, Leiden, The Netherlands, June 4-7, 2016.
10. Kimminau KS, Brull J, Kraft R. Using the Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research to Assess PBRN Practice Pragmatic Trail Readiness, 2016 NAPCRG Practice-based Research Network Conference, July 11-12, 2016, Bethesda, MD (meeting pending).
II. Oral presentations
A. Local/regional meetings
1. Mariscalco, M, Ahlers-Schmidt, C, Kraft, R, and Haan, J. What the Heck is Implementation Science and How Do I Do It? Breakout session, 20th Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, Wichita, KS, April 2012.
2. Kraft, R. Informatics Infrastructure in Clinical Practice: Where Are We, What Have We Learned? Breakout session, 20th Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, April 2012, Wichita, KS.
3. Ritterling, S* and Mikinski, M. Evaluation and Analysis of Rural Reperfusion Practices in Kansas: EARRP-Kansas, Dr. Mace Braxton 2012 Cardiovascular Symposium, Salina, Kansas, November 2, 2012.
4. Kraft, R. Improving the Care of Patients: From Education to Research, Plenary Presentation for the 21st Annual University of Kansas School of Medicine Research Forum, Wichita, KS, April 19, 2013.
5. Kraft, R. How Do You Do a Part IV MOC Module and Quality Improvement in Your Practice? 33rd Annual Family Medicine Winter Symposium, The University of Kansas School of Medicine - Wichita, Wichita, KS, December 6, 2013.
6. Kraft, R. Self-Directed QI Option to Complete the Required American Board of Family Medicine Part IV Module, Innovations Showcase, American Academy of Family Physicians Program Director Workshop and Residency Program Solutions, Kansas City, MO, March 30, 2014.
7. Horinek, J*, Daily, B, Diederich, G, and Paolo, A. Community Experience with Tranexamic Acid. 62nd Annual Med-Central States Orthopedic Society meeting, Lake of the Ozarks, MO, June 4-6, 2015.
B. National/international meetings
1. Chumley, H and Owings, CS. Eight Student 4-year Rural Campus. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference on Medical Student Education, Long Beach, California, February 2012.
2. Kraft, R, Chesser, A, Reyes, J, Keene Woods, N, Long, C, Brown, M, and Kellerman, R. Assessment of Methods for Scheduling Pap Smear Screening for Smoky Hill Family Medicine Residency Program Patients, North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, December 1-2, 2012.
3. Cathcart-Rake, W, Robinson, M, and Smith, B. Getting the Most from the Least: How a Rural Branch Campus Delivers a Quality Education with Limited Resources, International Association of Medical Educators 17th Annual Meeting, St. Andrews, Scotland, UK, June 10, 2013.
4. Cathcart-Rake, W and Robinson, M. Keeping them Down on the Farm: How One Medical School Is Addressing Physician Shortages in Rural America, AAMC-Group On Regional Medical Campuses Spring Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, April 9-11, 2014.
5. Roise A, Williams K, Day A, Kraft R. Improving QI and Scholarly Activity With a Practice-based Research Network. 48th STFM Annual Spring Conference, April 27, 2015, Orlando, FL.
6. Cathcart-Rake, W and Robinson, M. From Infancy to Adolescence: the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Salina Story, AAMC-Group on Regional Medical Campuses Spring Meeting, Washington, DC, March 29-31, 2016
III. Peer-reviewed publications
1. Cathcart-Rake, W, Robinson, M, Owings, CS, Kennedy, M, Paolo, A, and Chumley, H. The Birth of a Rural Medical School-The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Salina Experience, Medical Science Educator. 2012; 22(4): 250-258.
2. Ablah, E, Brown, M, Konda K, Kuhlman, D, Larson, L, Owings, CS, and Sloan, K. Does Availability of Expanded Point of Care Services Improve Outcomes of Rural Diabetic Patients? Primary Care Diabetes. 2013; V7:2. 129-134.
3. Chesser, A, Reyes J, Keene Woods NC, Williams K, and Kraft R. Reliability in Patient-Centered Observations of Family Physicians. Family Medicine, June 2013; 45(6): 428-432.
4. Kollhoff, L, Kollhoff, M, and Cathcart-Rake, W. Providing Support Services for Medical Students on a Rural Regional Medical Campus. Medical Science Educator. 2015; 10.1007/s40670-015-0108-8.
5. Dill, E.*, Easterday, L. and Robinson, M. Producing a Student Tutorial for Teaching Basic Sciences to Medical Students. Medical Science Educator. 2015; 25 (3): 217-218.
6. Cathcart-Rake, W, Robinson, M, Paolo, A. From Infancy to Adolescence; the Kansas University School of Medicine-Salina Story. Accepted 5/23/16 for Academic Medicine.
B. Book chapters
1. Kraft, R, Ursatine, RP. Lichen Planus, In; Ursatine, RP, Smith, MA, Meyeahx Jr, EJ, and Chumley H, eds. The Color Atlas of Family Medicine, 2nd ed. New York: McGraw Hill Medical. 2013. 901-9.
2. Kraft, R. Pneumonia (Chlamydia), Essential Evidence, Ebell MH, et al, eds. John Wiley & Sons; Hoboken, NJ. (book chapter, accepted for publication)