Sue Min Lai, MS, MBA, Ph.D.
Director, Kansas Cancer Registry
Education and Training
National Chengchi University, Taiwan: Bachelor of Arts, Economics
Miami University, Ohio: Master of Business Administration, Accounting
Temple University, Pennsylvania: Master of Science, Statistics
University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology
Epidemiology of Cancer, Stroke, Cardiovascular Disease, Spine Deformities and other selected chronic diseases; Cancer Registration; Research Methods and Applied Statistics; and Health Services Research
My research focuses on studying risk factors associated with selected chronic diseases and interventions to slow down disease progression. I have also developed outcome measures to characterize disease outcomes and monitor disease progression and have been directing the Kansas Cancer Registry since 1994 to carry out cancer surveillance for the state of Kansas.
- PI on federal funded grants of $20 million since 1994
- PI on non-federal and Co-I on federal funded grants of 2.5+ million since 1994
- Co-developed two outcomes measures that were used internationally
• Scoliosis Research Society 22r (SRS-22r)
• Stroke Impact Scale (patented)
I chair epidemiology concentration and curriculum development, and teach advanced epidemiology courses in both the MPH and MSCR programs. I also mentor clinicians and residents from various disciplines in research methods, analysis and clinical trials.
- PRVM 841: Advanced Epidemiology I: Methods in Cross-sectional and Case-Control Studies
- PRVM 842: Advanced Epidemiology II: Methods in Longitudinal Studies
- PRVM 836: Epidemiology in Aging
- PHCL 939: Carcinogenesis and Cancer Biology: Cancer Epidemiology Lecturer