Joanna Veazey Brooks, Ph.D., MBE
Education and Training
Furman University: Bachelor of Arts - Sociology and Philosophy
University of Pennsylvania: Master of Bioethics
University of Pennsylvania: Master of Arts - Sociology
University of Pennsylvania: Doctor of Sociology
Harvard University: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholar in Health Policy Research (Post-Doc)
My background is in medical sociology and my research focuses on health care workforce and health care delivery. I study the socialization of medical professionals, teamwork in health care, and medical education. My current funded work centers on barriers to earlier palliative care referral for patients with cancer, the role of community health care workers, perioperative culture and management, and curriculum change in medical education.
I teach in both the MHSA program and the PhD program. I also chair and sit on dissertation committees.
- HP&M 858: Health and Social Behavior
- HP&M 863: Independent Study
- HP&M 904: Health Care Occupations & Culture
- HP&M 912: Qualitative Health Research
- HP&M 990: Advanced Topics in Health Services Research
- HP&M 991: Doctoral Readings
- HP&M 999: Dissertation Hours