Richard Korentager, MD, FACS, FRCS(C)
David Zamierowski Endowed Professor of Plastic Surgery
Chair, Department of Plastic, Burn and Wound Surgery
Medical School: University of Toronto
Residency: University of Toronto Plastic Surgery
Fellowship: Breast Reconstruction-Toronto, Micro-nerve and Hand Surgery-Toronto
- Breast Reconstruction: Implant Based, Pedicled Flaps and Fat Grafting
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Burn Surgery: Acute and Reconstructive
- FACS (Fellow of the American College of Surgeons)
- ACAPS (American Council of Academic Plastic Surgeons)
- Board Member-Parliamentarian
- Co-chair ASPS/ACAPS Wellness Committee
- Co-chair ASPS/ACAPS Resident Education Committee
- Boot Camp Committee
- Medical Student Outreach Task Force
- ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
- LAC-Legislative Action Committee
- ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)
- ABA (American Burn Association)
- CSPS (Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons)
- KCPSS (Kansas City Plastic Surgery Society)
- KU SOM Assistant Director Orr Society
I became fascinated by the field of plastic surgery as a medical student when I was exposed to the broad range of cases treated by plastic surgeons and found it to be a unique combination of science and artistry. My focus on reconstructive breast surgery, burn surgery and cosmetic surgery has allowed me to have a positive impact on the lives of my patients and develop long-term relationships with them.
I initially entered private practice in Toronto but after moving to Kansas City I became an academic plastic surgeon at the University of Kansas. This allowed me to hone not only my plastic surgery skills but also to pursue my zeal for education. I have devoted my time to teaching residents and students in the schools of medicine, nursing and health professions. I have also become involved in health care simulation, physician wellness and coaching. My additional training in these areas has allowed me to expand my research to include not only clinical and basic science related to plastic surgery but also education and wellness.
International plastic surgery education and service has also been a passion of mine that has given me the opportunity to meet and work with patients all over the world.
It is a privilege to be part of a plastic surgery department that advances the field of plastic surgery through research and education. Training the next generation of doctors and plastic surgeons allows me to always be current, challenged and optimistic for the future.