How to Apply
- Be advised that KU Pediatrics does NOT utilize any resident search services other than NRMP and will not accept applications outside of ERAS.
- Please note: Your medical school must have been established no later than 1999. The Kansas Board of Healing Arts will not issue a training license to anyone who attended a medical school established after 1999.
- We only accept applications through ERAS. Any applications received via fax, email or mail will not be considered and will be shredded.
- Preference will be given to applications received by December 15.
- Preference is given to candidates less than 5 years out from medical school graduation.
- Preference is given to candidates with USMLE/COMLEX scores greater than 220, exceptions may be considered.
- A transcript of passing both Step I and II USMLE/COMLEX must be received prior the final program rank list submission deadline to be considered for ranking.
- Each application must contain at least three letters of recommendation.
- We do accept ECFMG sponsored J-1 Visas. All Visa and ECFMG certificates must be current for a July 1 start date. This is the only Visa accepted.
- U.S. clinical experience is not required, but highly recommended.
- Please see the Office of Graduate Medical Education's website for KU School of Medicine's application manual. International medical graduates please also see the GME Policy and Procedure Manual.
- The KU Pediatric Residency does not offer observerships or externships.
Interview: What to Expect
You will have a "host" resident who will be with you during the entire interview process. Your host resident will contact you several days before your interview.
Please plan to arrive in Kansas City prior to 4:00 PM the day before your interview. The interview day will conclude by 1:00 PM.
Sample schedule of the interview:
- Evening before: 6:30 PM: Dinner with residents and other applicants, casual dress (dinner is required and considered part of the interview)
- Day of interview: Arrive 7 AM.
- 7:30 AM: Meet with the chair
- 8 AM: Morning teaching conference
- 8:40 AM: Welcome session with program directors
- 9:20 AM - 12:20 PM: Interviews with program director and two additional faculty
- Associate program direction session with snack
- Tour of the facility
- Benefit session: Discuss the benefits offered by KU Pediatric Residency
- 1:00 PM: Conclusion
We provide all out-of-town candidates with a hotel room for the evening prior to the interview day. Although we pay for the room, you will need a credit card for incidentals. You can also purchase additional nights at the hotel at a reduced KU rate.
Nov 19, 2014