For more information on Parents as Teachers or to schedule an appointment contact:
Parent Educator/Child Development Specialist
Healthy Steps & Parents as Teachers
Healthy Steps is a free program for all parents of children ages 0 to 3. It is designed to forge a relationship between health care professionals and parents to address the physical, emotional, and intellectual growth and development of small children.
A Healthy Steps health care specialist helps parents navigate developmental stages and possible problems into teachable moments. We get acquainted at the newborn visit or when requested by a clinician. Our goal is to meet at each well child visit.
- Identify strengths and concerns of the child and family
- Enhance parents' understanding of their child's development
- Monitor child's growth and development
- Promote "goodness of fit" between child's behavior and parental expectations
- Assist in referrals to community resources
- Build a supportive alliance with family
Parents as Teachers at KU Pediatrics
A community collaboration between KU Pediatrics and Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools, providing parent education and support to families with children ages 0 to 3. The program is designed to help parents gain knowledge related to their child's development and address general parenting questions and concerns.
- Research-based information on how children grow and develop
- Ideas for positive discipline and problem solving, realistic expectations of child behavior and activities to promote language, cognitive, social-emotional and motor development.
- Assists in referrals to community resources
- Assist providers in developmental screening and follow up
The goal is to meet with families at each well child visit and support the relationship between the family and pediatric provider.