How to Join
Talk to a KU pediatrician
A child is eligible to join Healthy Hawks when his or her body mass index (BMI) reaches the 85th percentile. A BMI at or above the 85th percentile puts your child at risk several health problems. Your pediatrician will begin to monitor your child each month, and you will receive information to help your child live a healthier lifestyle.
• Call 913-588-6300 for an appointment with a KU pediatrician.
Print out these handouts to take to your chlid's pediatrician to get the discussion going.
- Weight and BMI: English | Spanish
- Nutrition recommendations: English | Spanish
- Physical activity recommendations: English | Spanish
- Healthy Hawks clinic: English | Spanish
See a team of specialists
At the Healthy Hawks clinic in Prairie Village, a team of specialists will work with you and your child to address issues of weight and general health specific to your family. The monthly visits provide an opportunity for your child to receive individualized attention, while our staff will provide you with information to help your child live a healthier lifestyle.
• Call 913-588-6300 for an appointment
Join a group
Group meetings, held weekly at KU Medical Center, provide families with support, education and physical activity.
About the program:
- Lasts 12 weeks
- Available in English and Spanish
How it works:
- Group meetings begin at 5:30 p.m. Monday and last about two hours.
- For the first hour, everyone excercises under the intstruction of a fitness specialist - we have a variety of fitness activities that change each week and may include Zumba, group soccer games, playing relay activities, and so much more.
- For the second hour, parents and children ,meet separately with their group leader to learn about nutrition, fitness, and other health topics.
- Week 12 features a graduation ceremony along with a party to celebrate completion of the program. Families are encouraged to bring healthy snacks to share, and leaders have an opportunity to congratulate their group members on the progress they made in the program.
- The program is available to families without insurance thanks to Coventry and a generous grant from the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
For more information and/or to sign up:
- Call 913-588-6300 for clinic, offered in both English and Spanish
- Call 913-588-2452 (English line) or 913-945-6708 (Spanish line) for group.
- Or print and return your information packet: English | Spanish