Andrew K Godwin, PhD
Chancellors Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Sciences and Endowed Professor
Professor and Director of Molecular Oncology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Deputy Director, The University of Kansas Cancer Center
Director, Biospecimen Shared Resource
Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar
BS, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, Cellular Biology
PhD, University of Pennsylvania/Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA,
Postdoctoral, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 1989-1992
Currently recruiting for laboratory/view positions here. Contact Dr. Godwin for more information.
Godwin and members of his group have been involved in both basic and translational research for many years, filling several important niches within the translational research community as a whole (e.g., early detection, predictive biomarkers and clinical trials, molecular pathology, biosample ascertainment). The central theme of his work centers on the idea of obtaining a molecular definition of a tumor to define its treatment-sensitive elements. As such, he has a long-standing interest in the field of cancer genetics and molecular targeted therapies. His studies primarily involve three different types of cancer: breast, ovarian, and gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST). His group uses these models to investigate how to improve patient care.
- Atay, S. and Godwin, A.K. Tumor-Derived Exosomes: A Message Delivery System for Tumor Progression, Communication and Integrative Biology, 2014 Jan 1;7(1):e28231. Epub 2014 Feb27. (PMID: 24778765).
- Fang, C.Y., Ross, E.A., Pathak, H., Godwin, A.K., Tseng, M. Acculturative Stress and Inflammation Among Chinese Immigrant Women. Psychosomatic Medicine: Journal of Biobehavioral Medicine, accepted, 2014.
- Atay, S., Banskota, S., Crow, J., Sethi, G., Rink, L., Godwin, A.K. Oncogene KIT-Containing Exosomes Increase Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Cell Invasion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Science, USA, 111:711-716, 2014 (Dec. 30, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 24379393) (PMCID: PMC3896203).
- Kwon, Y., Smith, B.D., Zhou, Y., Kaufman, M.D., Godwin, A.K. Effective Inhibition of c-MET-mediated Signaling, Growth, and Migration of Ovarian Cancer Cells in Influenced by the Ovarian Tissue Microenvironment. Oncogene doi:10.1038/onc.2013.539 (Dec. 23, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 24362531) (NIHMSID #550279)
- Yew, K-H, Crow, J., Hirst, J., Pressetto, Z., Godwin, A.K. Epimorphin-induced MET Sensitizes Ovarian Cancer Cells to Platinum. PLoS One 8(9): e72637. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0072637. (Sept 9, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 24039787) (PMCID: PMC3767807).
- Pessetto, Z., Weir, S., Sethi, G., Broward, M., Godwin, A.K. Drug Repurposing for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor. Molecular Cancer Therapuetics, (May 8, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 23657945) (PMCID: PMC3707936).
- Do, T.-Y., Bickel, L.E., Klein-Szanto, A.J., Pathak, H.B., Hua, X., Howe, C., Xiao, F., O'Brien, Maglaty, M., Ecsedy, J.A., Litwin, S., Golemis, E.A., Schilder, R.J., Godwin, A.K.., Connolly, D.C. Aurora Kinase A Mediates Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Migration and Adhesion. Oncogene, 2013. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.632 (Janurary 21, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 23334327) (PMCID: PMC3640671).
- Sethi, G., Pathak, H.B., Zhang, H., Zhou, Y., Einarson, M.B., Vadiepadiekal, V., Gunewardena, S., Birrer, M., Godwin, A.K. An RNA Interference Lethality Screen of the Human Druggable Genome to Identify Molecular Vulnerabilities in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer. PLoS One, 7:e47086, 2012. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0047086 (October 9, 2012 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 23056589) (PMCID: PMC3467214).
- Guo, S., Liu, M., Godwin, A.K. Transcriptional regulation of hTREX84 in human cancer cells. PLos ONE, 7:e43610, 2012. (August 27, 2012 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 22952718) (PMCID: PMC3428327)
- Schilder, R.J., Brady, W.E., Lankes, H., Fiorica, J.v., Shahin, M.S., Zhou, X.C., Mannel, R.S., Pathak, H.B., Hu, W., Alpaugh, R.K., Sood, A.K., Godwin, A.K. Phase II evaluation of Dasatinib in the treatment of recurrent or persistent epithelial ovarian or primary peritoneal carcinoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecologic Oncology, 127:70-74, 2012. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.06.009. (June 15, 2012 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 22710075) (PMCID: PMC435577)
May 06, 2014