Andrew K Godwin, PhD
Chancellors Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Sciences and Endowed Professor
Professor and Director of Molecular Oncology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Deputy Director, The University of Kansas Cancer Center
Director, Biospecimen Repository Core Facility
Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar
Godwin is a leader in the field of translational research and precision medicine, and members of his research program continue to focus on various aspects of both basic and translational research. He is a NCI funded investigator (continuously since 1993) and a highly published (>380 manuscripts and scholarly review articles) and cited (>33,000) scientist. Godwin is internationally recognized for his molecular biology/genetic studies of cancers including, sarcoma, breast and ovarian, and his efforts to help bridge the gap between basic and clinical science in order to improve patient care. Through his Clinical Molecular Oncology Laboratory (CMOL) and Biomarker Discovery Laboratory (BDL), Godwin's group continues to support the development and advancement of rationally designed therapeutic strategies to improve the options for patient treated at the KU Cancer Center. His research programs continue to focus on various aspects of both basic and translational research, with an emphasis on early detection of cancer, predictive and prognostic biomarkers, liquid biopsies based on extracellular vesicles (e.g., exosomes), molecular therapeutics, companion diagnostics, clinical trials, and biosample ascertainment.
- Do, T.V., Hyter, S., Roby, K.F., Godwin, A.K. Aurora A kinase regulates non-homologous end-joining and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase function in ovarian carcinoma cells. Oncotarget 2017 Jul 5 (PMID: 28700980) PMCID in process.
- Zhang, Y., Ng, K.S., Kucherlapati, M., Chen, F., Liu, Y., de Velasco, G., Jeong, K.J., Hadjipanayis, A., Pantazi, A., Bristow, C.A., Lee, E., Mahadeshwar, H.S., Tang, J., Zhang, J., Yang, L., Seth, S., Lee, S., Ren, X., Song, X., Sun, H., Seidman, J., Luquette, L.J., Xi, R., Chin, L., Protopopov, A., Shelley, C.S., Choueiri, T.K., Ittmann, M., Van Waes, C., Weinstein, J.N., Liang, H., Henski, E.P., Godwin, A.K., Park, P.J., Kucherlapati, R., Scott, K.L., Mills, G.B., Kwiatkowski, D.J., Creighton, C.J. A Pan-Cancer Proteogenomic Atlas of PI3K/AKT/mTor Pathway Alterations. Cancer Cell, 2017 May 8 (PMID: 28528867) PMCID: PMC5502825.
- The Cancer Genome Atlas Network (Godwin, A.K.). Integrated genomic and molecular characterization of cervical cancer. Nature, doi:10.1038/nature21386, Published online 23 January 2017, (PMID: 28112728), PMCID: PMC5354998.
- Crow, J., Atay, S., Banskota, S., Artale, B., Schmitt, S., Godwin, A.K. Exosomes as Mediators of Platinum Resistance in Ovarian Cancer. Oncotarget, 2017 Jan 2, (PMID: 28060758), PMCID: PMC5355315.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network (Godwin, A.K.), Integrated genomic characterizations of oesophageal carcinoma. Nature 2017 Jan 12;541(7636):169-175, doi: 10.1038/nature20805(PMID: 28052061), PMCID in process.
- Pessetto, Z.Y., Chen, B., Alturkmani, H., Hyter, S., Flynn, C.A., Baltezor, M., Ma, Y., Rosenthal, H.G., Neville, K.A., Weir, S.J., Butte, A., Godwin, A.K. In Silico and In Vitro Drug Screening Identifies New Therapeutic Approaches for Ewing Sarcoma. Oncotarget, 2016, Nov 16, (PMID: 27863422) PMCID: PMC5354814.
- Pessetto, Z., Ma, Y., Hirst, J., von Mehren, M., Weir, S., Godwin, A.K. Drug Repurposing Identifies a Synergistic Combination Therapy with Imatinib Mesylate for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2014 Oct;13(10):2276-2287. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-14-0043. (August 13, 2014 [Epub ahead of print]) PMID: 25122069) PMCID: PMC4185217.
- He, M., Crow, J., Roth, M., Zeng, Y., Godwin, A.K. Integrated immunoisolation and protein analysis of circulating exosomes using microfluidic technology. Lab on a Chip, 2014 Oct 7:14(19):3773-3780. doi. 10.1039/c4lc00662c. (August 6, 2014 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 25099143) PMCID: PMC4161194.
- Atay, S., Banskota, S., Crow, J., Sethi, G., Rink, L., Godwin, A.K. Oncogene KIT-Containing Exosomes Increase Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Cell Invasion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Science, USA, 111:711-716, 2014 (Dec. 30, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 24379393) (PMCID: PMC3896203).
- Kwon, Y., Smith, B.D., Zhou, Y., Kaufman, M.D., Godwin, A.K. Effective Inhibition of c-MET-mediated Signaling, Growth, and Migration of Ovarian Cancer Cells in Influenced by the Ovarian Tissue Microenvironment. Oncogene doi:10.1038/onc.2013.539 (Dec. 23, 2013 [Epub ahead of print]) (PMID: 24362531) (NIHMSID #550279)
Aug 11, 2017