Andrew K Godwin, PhD
Chancellors Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Sciences and Endowed Professor
Professor and Director of Molecular Oncology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Associate Director for Translational Research, University of Kansas Cancer Center
Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar
Director, Biospecimen Shared Resource (KU Cancer Center)
Biorepository Coordinator for the HICTR Translational Technologies Resource Center
BS, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, Cellular Biology
PhD, University of Pennsylvania/Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA,
Postdoctoral, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 1989-1992
Currently recruiting for laboratory/view positions here. Contact Dr. Godwin for more information.
Godwin and members of his group have been involved in both basic and translational research for many years, filling several important niches within the translational research community as a whole (e.g., early detection, predictive biomarkers and clinical trials, molecular pathology, biosample ascertainment). The central theme of his work centers on the idea of obtaining a molecular definition of a tumor to define its treatment-sensitive elements. As such, he has a long-standing interest in the field of cancer genetics and molecular targeted therapies. His studies primarily involve three different types of cancer: breast, ovarian, and gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST). His group uses these models to investigate how to improve patient care.
- Li H, Cai KQ, Godwin AK, Zhang R (2010) Enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) promoted the proliferation and invation of epithelial ovarian cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 29. PMID: 21115743 [Epub ahead of print].
- Capo-Chichi CD, Smedberg JL, Rula M, Nicolas E, Yeung AT, Adamo RF, Frolov A, Godwin AK, Xu XX. (2010) Alteration of Differentiation Potentials by Modulating GATA Transcription Factors in Murine Embryonic Stem Cells. Stem Cells Int. 2010 May 11;2010:602068. PMID: 21048850 [PubMed - in process]
- Tan Y, Cheung M, Pei J, Menges CW,Godwin AK, Testa JR. (2010) Upregulation of DLX5 promotes ovarian cancer cell proliferation by enhancing IRS-2-AKT signaling. Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 15;70(22):9197-206. Epub 2010 Nov 2. PMID: 21045156 [PubMed - in process]
- Cordero AB, Kwon Y, Hua X, Godwin AK. In vivo imaging and therapeutic treatments in an orthotopic mouse model of ovarian cancer. J Vis Exp. Aug 17;(42). pii: 2125. doi: 10.3791/2125, 2010. http://www.jove.com/index/details.stp?id=2125. (PMID: 20811322) [PubMed - in process]
- Zhang H, Kouadio A, Cartledge D, Godwin AK. (2010) Role of gamma-synuclein in microtubule regulation. Exp Cell Res. 2010 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20974125 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Shoreibah MG, Jackson CL, Price PW, Meagher R, Godwin AK, Cai Q, Gildersleeve JC. (2010) Anti-hESC mAb Hesca-2 Binds to a Glycan Epitope Commonly Found on Carcinomas. Stem Cells Dev. 2010 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20887211
- Lynch HT, Casey MJ, Snyder, CL, Bewtra C, Lynch JF, Godwin AK. Hereditary ovarian carcinoma, heterogeneity: molecular genetics, pathology, and management. Molecular Oncology, 3:97-137, 2009. (Feb 21, 2009 [Epub ahead of print]). PMC2778287 (PMID: 19383374) (Top cited article from 2008-2010).
- Ochs MF, Rink L, Tarn C, Mburu S, Taguchi T, Eisenberg B, Godwin AK. Detection of treatment-induced changes in signaling pathways in gastrointestinal stromal tumors using transcriptomic data. Cancer Research, 69:9125-9132, 2009 (Nov 10, 2009 [Epub ahead of print]). PMC2789202 (PMID: 19903850)
- Schilder, R.J., Pathak, H.B., Lokshin, A.E., Holloway, R.W., Alvarez, R.D., Pathak, H., Aghajanian, Min, H., Devarajan K, Ross EC, Drescher CW, Godwin AK. Phase II trial of single-agent cetuximab in patients with persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian or primary peritoneal carcinoma with the potential for dose escalation to rash. Gynecologic Oncology, 113:21-27, 2009. PMC2741166 (PMID: 19162309)
- Belinsky MG, Skorobagatko Y, Rink LA, Pei J, Cai Q-K, Vanderveer L, Riddell D, Merkel E, Tarn C, von Mehren M, Testa J, Godwin AK. High density DNA array analysis reveals distinct genomic profiles in a subset of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Genes, Chromosomes, and Cancer, 48:886-896, 2009. (Jul 7, 2009 [Epub ahead of print]). PMC2830286 (PMID: 19585585)
- Chen X, Weaver J, Bove BA, Vanderveer L, Weil SC, Miron A, Daly MB,.Godwin AK. Allelic imbalance in BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene expression is associated with an increased breast cancer risk. Human Molecular Genetics, 17:1336-1348, 2008. Paper accepted prior to April 7, 2008. (PMID 18204050)
- Tarn C, Rink L, Merkel E, Flieder D, Pathak H, Koumbi D, Testa J, Eisenberg B, von Mehren M, Godwin AK. Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 Receptor is a Potential Therapeutic Target for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 105:8387-8392, 2008. PMC2448846 (PMID: 18550829)
Jan 23, 2014