Ling Lu, PhD
PhD: Infectious Diseases, Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China
Basic Science Interests:
Our lab focus: Study HCV molecular epidemiology and genetics, determine the full-length genomic sequences for the majority of HCV subtypes that still have not been completely sequenced, use the newly determined sequences to assemble a complete HCV reference panel and establish novel cell culture models.
- Lu L, Nakano T, Orito E, Mizokami M and Robertson BH (2001). Evaluation of accumulation of hepatitis C virus mutations in a chronically infected chimpanzee: comparison of the core, E1, HVR1, and NS5b regions. J Virol 75:3004-3009.
- Nakano T, Lu L, Hu X, Mizokami M, Orito E, Shapiro C, Hadler S and Robertson BH (2001). Characterization of hepatitis B virus genotypes among Yucpa Indians in Venezuela. J Gen Virol 82:359-365.
- Lu L, Ng, MH, Zhou B, Luo H, Nakano T, Robertson BH and Im SW (2001). Detection and genotyping of GBV-C/HGV variants in China. Virus Res 73:131-144.
- Quarleri JF, Bussy MV, Mathet VL, Ruiz V, Iacono R, Lu L, Robertson BH and Oubina JR (2003). In vitro detection of dissimilar amounts of hepatitis C virus (HCV) subtype-specific RNA genomes in mixes prepared from sera of persons infected with a single HCV genotype. J Clin Microbiol 41:2727-2733.
- Lu L, Ching KZ, de Paula VS, Nakano T, Siegl G, Weitz M and Robertson BH (2004). Characterization of the complete genome sequence of genotype II hepatitis A virus (CF53/Berne isolate). J Gen Virol 85:2943-2952.
- dePaula VS, Lu L, Niel C, Gaspar AMC and Robertson BH (2004). Genetic analysis of hepatitis A virus isolates from Brazil. J Med Virol73:378-383.
- Lu L, Drobeniuc J, Kobylnikov N, Usmanov RK, Robertson BH, Favorov MO and Margolis HS. (2004). Complete sequence of a Kyrgyzstan swine hepatitis E Virus (HEV) isolated from a piglet thought to be experimentally infected with human HEV. J Med Virol 74:556-562.
- Nakano T, Lu L, Liu P and Pybus OG (2004). Viral gene sequences reveal the variable history of hepatitis C virus infection among countries. J Infect Dis 190:1098-1108.
- Lu L, Nakano T, He Y, Fu Y, Hagedorn CH and Robertson BH (2005). Hepatitis C Virus genotype distribution in China: Predominance of closely related subtype 1b isolates and existence of new genotype 6 variants. J Med Virol 75:538-549. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Nakano T, Robertson BH and Hagedorn CH (2005). A refined long RT-PCR technique to amplify complete viral RNA genome sequences from clinical samples: application to a novel hepatitis C virus variant of genotype 6. J Virol Meth 126:139-148. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Li C and Hagedorn CH (2006). Phylogenetic analysis of global hepatitis E virus sequences: Genetic diversity, subtypes and zoonosis.Rev Med Virol 16:5-36. (corresponding author)
- Nakano T, Lu, L, He Y, Fu Y, Robertson BH and Pybus OG (2006). The population genetic history of hepatits C virus 1b infection in China. J Gen Virol 87:73-82. (equally contributed first author)
- Lu L, Nakano T, Li C, Fu Y, Miller S, Kuiken C, Robertson BH and Hagedorn CH (2006). Hepatitis C virus complete genome sequences identified from China representing subtypes 6k and 6n and a novel yet unassigned subtype within genotype 6. J Gen Virol 87:629-634. (corresponding author)
- Nainan O, Lu L, Gao F, Emory M, Robertson BH and Margolis H (2006). Selective transmission of HCV genotypes and quasispecies in humans and chimpanzees. J Gen Virol 87:83-91.
- Li C, Fu Y, Lu L and Hagedorn, CH (2006). Complete genome sequences for hepatitis C virus subtypes 6e and 6g isolated from Chinese patients with injection drug use and HIV-1 co-infection. J Med Virol 78:1061-1069. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Li C, Fu Y, Thaikruea, L., Thongswat, S., Maneekarn, N., Apichartpiyakul, C., Hotta, H., Okamato H,Netski, D., Pybus OG,Murphy D, Hagedorn CHand Nelson, K. E. (2007). Complete genomes for hepatitis C virus subtypes 6f, 6i, 6j and 6m: viral genetic diversity among Thai blood donors and infected spouses. J Gen Virol 88:1505-1518. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Li C, Fu Y, Gao F, Pybus OG, Abe K, Okamato H, Hagedorn CH and Murphy D (2007). Complete genomes of hepatitis C virus (HCV) subtypes 6c, 6l, 6o, 6p and 6q: completion of a full panel of genomes for HCV genotype 6. J Gen Virol 88:1519-1525. (corresponding author)
- Zhao SM, Jiang TL, Gao FX, Lu L, Zheng HQ, Hu J, Fan YH,Li B, Xiao RR and Yury K (2007). Analysis of true voluntary blood donors with anti-HCV prevalence and implications for donor management in Chongqing, China. Transfus Med 17:210-211.
- Lu L, Murphy D, Li C, Liu S, Xia X, Pham PH, Jin Y, Hagedorn CH and Abe K (2008). Complete genomes of three subtype 6t isolates and analysis of many novel hepatitis C virus variants within genotype 6. J Gen Virol 89:444-452. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Tastunori N, Li C, Gao F and Robertson BH (2008). Selection of HCV strains and evolution of HVR1 variants in a chimpanzee chronically infected with HCV-1 over 12 years. Hepatol Res 38:704-16. (corresponding author)
- Xia X, Lu L, Tee KK, Zhao W, Wu J, Yu J, Li X, Lin Y, Mukhtar MM, Hagedorn CH and Takebe Y (2008). The unique HCV genotype distribution and the discovery of a novel subtype 6u among IDUs co-infected with HIV-1 in Yunnan, China. J Med Virol 80:1142-1152. (equally contributed first author)
- Xia X, Zhao W, Tee KK, Feng Y, Takebe Y, Li Q, Pybus OG and Lu L (2008). Complete genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis of HCV isolates from China reveals a new subtype, designated 6u. J Med Virol 80:1740-1746. (corresponding author)
- Zhao SM, Jiang TL, Li RQ, Gao FX, Lu L, Zheng HQ, Hu J, Fan YH, Li B, Xiao RQ and Yury K (2008). HCV infection in voluntary donors and its influence on recruitment of donors in Chongqing area. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 16:676-680.
- Li C, Zhang X, Lu L and Murphy D (2009). Entire genome sequences of two new HCV subtypes, 6r and 6s, and characterization of unique HVR1 variation patterns within genotype 6. J Viral Hepatitis 16:406-417. (corresponding author)
- Pybus OG, Barnes E, Taggart R, Lemey P, Markov P, Rasachak B, Syhavong B, Rattanaphone P, Sheridan I, Humphreys IS, Lu L, Newton P and Klenerman P (2009). The Genetic History Of The Hepatitis C Virus In East Asia. J Virol 83:1071-1082.
- Wang Y, Xia X, Li C, Maneekarn N, Xia W, Zhao W, Feng Y, Kung, HF, Fu Y and Lu L (2009). A new HCV genotype 6 subtype designated 6v was confirmed with three complete genome sequences. J Clin Virol44:195-199. (corresponding author)
- Li C, Lu L, Wu X, Wang C, Bennett P, Lu T and Murphy D (2009). Complete genomic sequences for HCV subtypes 4b, 4c, 4d, 4g, 4k, 4l, 4m, 4n, 4o, 4p, 4q, 4r and 4t. J Gen Virol 90: 1820-1826. (corresponding author)
- Fu Y, Xia W, Wang Y, Tian L, Pybus OG, Lu L and Nelson K (2010). Decreased anti-HCV seraprevalence among 559,890 first-time volunteer donors in 2004-2007 reflects the success in transition of blood donor recruitment models in Guangzhou, China. Transfusion 50: 1505-1511. (corresponding author)
- Fu Y, Xia W, Wang Y, Pybus OG, Lu L and Nelson, K (2011). New trends of HCV infection in China revealed by genetic analysis of first-time volunteer blood donors. J Viral Hepat 18: 42-52. (corresponding author)
- Liu, S, Nelson CA, Xiao L, Lu L, Seth PP, Davis DR and Hagedorn CH (2011). Measuring antiviral activity of benzimidazole molecules that alter IRES RNA structure with an infectious hepatitis C virus chimera expressing Renilla luciferase. Antiviral Res 89: 54-63.
- Schwarz, KB, Roy A, Wang C, Li C, Lu L, Torbenson M and Hagedorn CH (2011). Phenotypic and genotypic differences between a child with vertically acquired severe hepatitis C liver disease and his mother. J Pediatric Gastroenterol & Nutrition 54:567-569.
- Feng Y, Zhao W, Feng Y, Dai J, Li Z, Zhang X, Liu L, Bai J, Zhang H, Lu L, Xia X. (2011). A novel genotype of GB virus C: its identification and predominance among injecting drug users in Yunnan, China. PLoS One 6:e21151.
- Fu Y, Qin W, Cao H, Xu R, Tan Y, Lu T, Wang H, Tong W, Rong X, Li G, Li C, Abe K, Lu L. (2012). HCV 6a Prevalence in Guangdong Province Had the Origin from Vietnam and Recent Dissemination to Other Regions of China: A Phylogeography Analysis. PLoS One 7: e28006. (corresponding author)
- Pham VH, Nguyen HDP, Ho PT, Banh DV, Pham HLT, Pham PH, Lu L, Abe K. (2011). Very High Prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus Genotype 6 Variants in Southern Vietnam: Large-Scale Survey Based on Sequence Determination. Jpn J Infect Dis 64:537-539.
- Li C, Cao H, Lu L, Murphy D. (2012). Full-length sequences of 11 hepatitis C virus genotype 2 isolates representing five subtypes and six unclassified lineages with unique geographical distributions and genetic variation patterns. J Gen Virol 93:1173-1184. (corresponding author)
- Rong X, Lu L, Wang J, Xiong H, Huang J, Chen J, Huang K, Xu R, Wang M, Zhang X, Guo T, Liu Y, Gao G, Fu Y, Nelson KE. (2012). Correlation of viral loads with HCV genotypes: higher levels of virus were revealed among blood donors infected with 6a strains. PLoS One 7:e52467. (Equally contributed first author)
- Ng KT, Lee YM, Al-Darraji HA, Xia X, Takebe Y, Chan KG, Lu L, Mahadeva S, Kamarulzaman A, Tee KK. (2013). Genome sequence of the hepatitis C virus subtype 6n isolated from Malaysia. Genome Announc. Jan;1(1). pii: e00168-12. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.00168-12. Epub 2013 Feb 14.
- Wang H, Barnes E, Yuan M, Li C, Fu Y, Xia X, Pybus O, Murphy D, Abe K, Lu L. (2013). Eight novel hepatitis C virus genomes reveal the changing taxonomic structure of genotype 6. J Gen Virol 94:76-80. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Li C, Yuan J, Lu T, Okamoto H, Murphy DG. (2013). Full-length genome sequences of five hepatitis C virus isolates representing subtypes 3g, 3h, 3i and 3k, and a unique genotype 3 variant. J Gen Virol 94:543-8. (corresponding author)
- Li C, Njouom R, Pépin J, Bennett P, Pybus OG, Lu L. (2013). Full-length genome sequences of seven genotype 1 isolates of HCV representing subtypes 1e, 1h, and 1l, and a novel variant. J Gen Virol 94:1780-90. (corresponding author)
- Gu L, Tong W, Yuan M, Lu T, Li C, Lu L. (2013). An increased diversity of HCV isolates were characterized among 393 patients with liver disease in China representing six genotypes, 12 subtypes, and two novel genotype 6 variants. J Clin Virol 57:311-7. (corresponding author)
- Yuan M, Lu T, Li C, Lu L. (2013). The evolutionary rates of HCV estimated with subtype 1a and 1b sequences over the ORF length and in different genomic regions. PLoS One 8:e64698. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Tong W, Li C, Gu L, Lu T, Tee KK, Chen G. (2013). The current HCV prevalence in China may have mainly resulted from an officially encouraged plasma campaign in the 1990s: a coalescence inference with genetic sequences. J Virol. 87(22):12041-50. (corresponding author)
- Xu R, Tong W, Gu L, Li C, Fu Y, Lu L. (2013). A panel of full-length HCV genome sequences characterized in China representing 11 subtypes and two novel variants. Infect Genet Evol. 20C:225-229. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Xu R, Huang J, Yuan M, Huang K, Wang M, Zhang X, Xiong H, Nakano T, Bennett P, Fu Y. (2014). The migration patterns of HCV in China characterized for five major subtypes based on 411 volunteer blood donors sampled in 17 provinces/municipalities. J Virol. In press. (corresponding author)
- Lu L, Li C, Xu Y, Murphy DG. (2014). Full‐length genomes of 16 HCV 1 genotype 1 isolates representing subtypes 1c, 1d, 1e, 1g, 1h, 1i, 1j, 1k, and several new subtype equivalents reveals ancestral relationships among subtypes. J Gen Virol. In press. (corresponding author)
- Li C, Lu L, Murphy DG, Negro F, Okamoto H. (2014). The origin of HCV 1 genotype 3 in Africa as estimated through an evolutionary analysis of the full‐length genomes of nine subtypes, including the newly 3 sequenced 3d and 3e. J Gen Virol. In press. (corresponding author)
Mar 26, 2014