Christophe P Nicot, Ph.D.
Professor; Director, Center for Viral Oncology
Ph.D., University of Bordeaux, France, 1995
Research Associate, Case Western Reserve University, Dept. of Infectious Diseases, 1995-1996
Research Associate, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Dept of Microbiology and Immunology, 1996-1998
Visiting Fellow, National Cancer Institute, Division of Basic Sciences (DBS), 1998-2000
Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Kansas City, KS, 2009-present
Staff Scient. National Cancer Institute, DBS. 2000-2002
Assistant Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Microbiology, Molecular genetics& Immunology, Kansas City, KS, 2003-2006
Associate Professor, University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Kansas City, KS, 2008-2009
The oncogenic human retrovirus HTLV-I is the etiological agent of an aggressive and fatal T-cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATL) disease. ATL is associated with a poor clinical prognosis and treatment of patients using conventional chemotherapy has limited benefit given that HTLV-I cells are resistant to conventional anti-cancer, apoptosis-inducing agents. In addition to ATLL, HTLV-I is also the etiological agent of an inflammatory neuro-degenerative disorder called Tropical Spastic Paraparesis/ HTLV-I-Associated Myelopathy (TSP/HAM). My laboratory studies early and late molecular events associated with cellular transformation and leukemogenesis. We are especially interested in genome instability, telomerase reactivation, RNA export and signaling pathways involved in T-cell transformation and/or virus replication. We also study new therapeutic approaches for treatment of ATL. Nicot Lab web site.
- Bellon M, Ko NL, Lee MJ, Yao Y, Waldmann TA, Trepel JB and Nicot C. Adult T-cell leukemia cells overexpress Wnt5a and promote osteoclast differentiation. Blood. 2013 Jun 20; 121(25):5045-54. PMID: 23660959. Epub 2013 May 9. Open access.
- Bai XT, Nicot C. Overview on HTLV-1 p12, p8, p30, p13: accomplices in persistent infection and viral pathogenesis. Front Microbiol. 2012;3:400. PMID: 23248621. Epub 2012 Dec 11. Open access.
- Ko NL, Taylor JM, Bellon M, Bai XT, Shevtsov SP, Dundr M and Nicot C. PA28γ is a novel corepressor of HTLV-1 replication and controls viral latency. Blood. 2013 Jan 31; 121(5):791-800. PMID: 23104922. Epub 2012 Oct 26. Open access.
- Baydoun HH, Bai XT, Shelton S and Nicot C.HTLV-I tax increases genetic instability by inducing DNA double strand breaks during DNA replication and switching repair to NHEJ. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e42226. PMID: 22916124. Epub 2012 Aug 20. Open access.
- Yao Y, Bellon M, Shelton SN and Nicot C. Tumor suppressors p53, p63TAα, p63TAy, p73α, and p73β use distinct pathways to repress telomerase expression. J Biol Chem. 2012 Jun 8;287(24):20737-47. PMID: 22496369. Epub 2012 Apr 10. Open access.
- Bai XT, Sinha-Datta U, Ko NL, Bellon M and Nicot C. Nuclear export and expression of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 tax/rex mRNA are RxRE/Rex dependent. J Virol. 2012 Apr;86(8):4559-65. PMID: 22318152. Epub 2012 Feb 8. Open access.
- El Hajj H, El-Sabban M, Hasegawa H, Zaatari G, Ablain J, Saab ST, Janin A, Mahfouz R, Nasr R, Kfoury Y and Nicot C. Therapy-induced selective loss of leukemia-initiating activity in murine adult T cell leukemia. J Exp Med. 2010 Dec 20;207(13):2785-92. PMID: 21135137. Epub 2010 Dec 6. Free access.
- Baydoun HH, Pancewicz J and Nicot C. HTLV-I p30 inhibits multiple S phase entry checkpoints, decreases cyclin E-CDK2 interactions and delays cell cycle progression. Mol Cancer. 2010 Nov 23;9:30. PMID: 21092281. Free access.
- Pancewicz J, Taylor JM, Datta A, Baydoun HH, Waldmann TA, Hermine O and Nicot C. Notch signaling contributes to proliferation and tumor formation of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1-associated adult T-cell leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Sep 21;107(38):16619-24. PMID: 20823234. Epub 2010 Sep 7. Free access.
- Valeri VW, Hryniewicz A, Andresen V, Jones K, Fenizia C, Bialuk I, Chung HK, Fukumoto R, Parks RW, Ferrari MG and Nicot C. Requirement of the human T-cell leukemia virus p12 and p30 products for infectivity of human dendritic cells and macaques but not rabbits. Blood. 2010 Nov 11;116(19):3809-17. PMID: 20647569. Epub 2010 Jul 20. Free access.
- Bai XT, Baydoun HH, Nicot C. HTLV-I p30: HTLV-I p30: a versatile protein modulating virus replication and pathogenesis. Mol Aspects Med. 2010 Oct;31(5):344-9. PMID 10595036. Epub 2010 Jun 4. Free access.
- Bellon M, Baydoun HH, Yao Y and Nicot C. HTLV-I Tax-dependent and -independent events associated with immortalization of human primary T lymphocytes. Blood. 2010 Mar 25;115(12):2441-8. PMID: 20093405. Epub 2010 Jan 21. Open access.
- Taylor JM, Brown M, Nejmeddine M, Kim KJ, Ratner L, Lairmore M and Nicot C. Novel role for interleukin-2 receptor-Jak signaling in retrovirus transmission. J Virol. 2009 Nov;83(22):11467-7. PMID: 19726513. Epub 2009 Sep 2. Open access.
- Taylor JM, Ghorbel S and Nicot C. Genome wide analysis of human genes transcriptionally and post-transcriptionally regulated by the HTLV-I protein p30. BMC Genomics. 2009 Jul 14;10:311. PMID: 19602286. Open access.
- Bellon M, Lepelletier Y, Hermine O, Nicot C.Deregulation of microRNA involved in hematopoiesis and the immune response in HTLV-I adult T-cell leukemia. Blood. 2009 May 14;113(20): 4914-7. PMID: 19246560. Epub 2009 Feb 26. Open access.
- Baydoun HH, Bellon M, Nicot C. HTLV-1 Yin and Yang: Rex and p30 master regulators of viral mRNA trafficking. AIDS Reviews. 2008 Oct-Dec; 10(4):195-204. Review. PMID: 19092975. Open access.
- Fukumoto R, Andresen V, Bialuk I, Cecchinato V, Walser JC, Valeri VW, Nauroth JM, Gessain A, Nicot C, Franchini G.In vivo genetic mutations define predominant functions of the human T-cell leukemia/lymphoma virus p12I protein. Blood. 2009 Apr 16;113(16):3726-34. PMID: 18791162. Open access.
- Taylor JM, Nicot C. HTLV-1 and apoptosis: role in cellular transformation and recent advances in therapeutic approaches. Apoptosis. 2008 Jun;13(6):733-47.
- Bellon M, Nicot C. Central role of PI3K in transcriptional activation of hTERT in HTLV-I infected cells.Blood. 2008 May 29.
- Bellon M, Nicot C. Regulation of telomerase and telomeres: human tumor viruses take control. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Jan 16;100(2):98-108. Epub 2008 Jan 8.Open access.
- Sinha-Datta U, Taylor JM, Brown M, Nicot C. Celecoxib disrupts the canonical apoptotic network in HTLV-I cells through activation of Bax and inhibition of PKB/Akt. Apoptosis. 2008 Jan;13(1):33-40.Open access.
- Bellon M, Nicot C. Telomerase: a crucial player in HTLV-I-induced human T-cell leukemia. : Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2007 Jan-Feb;4(1):21-5. Open access.
- Datta A, Nicot C. Telomere attrition induces a DNA double-strand break damage signal that reactivates p53 transcription in HTLV-I leukemic cells. Oncogene. 2007 Aug 20. Open access.
- Lacoste V, Nicot C, Gessain A, Valensi F, Gabarre J, Matta H, Chaudhary PM, Mahieux R. In primary effusion lymphoma cells, MYB transcriptional repression is associated with v-FLIP expression during latent KSHV infection while both v-FLIP and v-GPCR become involved during the lytic cycle. Br J Haematol. 2007 Aug;138(4):487-501. Open access
- Sinha-Datta U, Datta A, Ghorbel S, Dodon MD, Nicot C. Human T-cell lymphotrophic virus type I rex and p30 interactions govern the switch between virus latency and replication. J Biol Chem. 2007 May 11;282(19):14608-15. Open access
- Brown M, Bellon M, Nicot C. Emodin and DHA potently increase arsenic trioxide interferon-alpha-induced cell death of HTLV-I-transformed cells by generation of reactive oxygen species and inhibition of Akt and AP-1. Blood. 2007 Feb 15;109(4):1653-9. Open access
- Fukumoto R, Dundr M, Nicot C, Adams A, Valeri VW, Samelson LE, Franchini G. Inhibition of TCR Signal Transduction and Viral Expression by the Linker for Activation of T Cells-Interacting p12I Protein of HTLV-1. J Virol. 2007 Jun 20. Open access
- Ghorbel S, Sinha-Datta U, Dundr M, Brown M, Franchini G, Nicot C. Human T-cell leukemia virus type I p30 nuclear/nucleolar retention is mediated through interactions with RNA and a constituent of the 60 S ribosomal subunit. J Biol Chem. 2006 Dec 1;281(48):37150-8. Open access
- Bellon M, Datta A, Brown M, Pouliquen JF, Couppie P, Kazanji M, Nicot C. Increased expression of telomere length regulating factors TRF1, TRF2 and TIN2 in patients with adult T-cell leukemia. Int J Cancer. 2006 Nov 1;119(9):2090-7. Open access
- Datta A, Sinha-Datta U, Dhillon NK, Buch S, Nicot C. The HTLV-I p30 interferes with TLR4 signaling and modulates the release of pro- and anti- inflammatory cytokines from human macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2006 Aug 18;281(33):23414-24.Open access
- Datta A, Bellon M, Sinha-Datta U, Bazarbachi A, Lepelletier Y, Canioni D, Waldmann TA, Hermine O, Nicot C. Persistent inhibition of telomerase reprograms adult T-cell leukemia to p53-dependent
senescence. Blood. 2006 Aug 1;108(3):1021-9. Epub 2006 Mar 28. Open access
- Nicot C, Harrod RL, Ciminale V, Franchini G.
Human T-cell leukemia/lymphoma virus type 1 nonstructural genes and their functions. Oncogene. 2005 Sep 5;24(39):6026-34. Open access
- Nicot C. Current views in HTLV-I-associated adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Am J Hematol. 2005 Mar;78(3):232-9. Open access
- Nicot C, Dundr M, Johnson JM, Fullen JR, Alonzo N, Fukumoto R, Princler GL, Derse D, Misteli T, Franchini G.
HTLV-1-encoded p30II is a post-transcriptional negative regulator of viral replication. Nat Med. 2004 Feb;10(2):197-201. Open access
- Sinha-Datta U, Horikawa I, Michishita E, Datta A, Sigler-Nicot JC, Brown M, Kazanji M, Barrett JC, Nicot C.
Transcriptional activation of hTERT through the NF-kappaB pathway in HTLV-I-transformed cells. Blood. 2004 Oct 15;104(8):2523-31. Open access
Mar 07, 2016