Kevin Sykes, PhD, MPH
Department of Otolaryngology-
Head & Neck Surgery
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160
Clinical Research Fellowship
This is a one-year experience focused on clinical research in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Kansas City, KS. The Clinical Research Fellow works closely with the Director of Clinical Research to develop and execute clinical research projects within the Department including prospective clinical trials, retrospective studies, and large database analyses. The Fellow is involved in developing new projects and assisting with ongoing projects. The position includes close mentorship from the Department Chair and Otolaryngology faculty engaged in clinical research.
Highlights of the fellowship include:
- Broad clinical portfolio with robust opportunities in all otolaryngology subspecialties
- Multiple clinical and research faculty with active grant support on diverse topics
- Nutritional management and optimization of head and neck oncology patients
- Validation of a novel olfaction test
- Ergonomics in otolaryngic surgery
- Leadership and professional development
- Research opportunities in novel and emerging "hot topics" in medicine
- Health care delivery innovation
- Medical education
- Machine learning
- Anticipate multiple publications from the fellowship year.
This position requires the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and enrollment in medical school OR completed medical degree from an accredited institution
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility, independent thinking and functioning, strong verbal and written communication
- Proficient knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary teams, including physicians and administrative staff with varying levels of education and knowledge of health care practices
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with electronic medical records
- Data management experience with Microsoft Excel, REDCap, Access, or other electronic data capture systems
The Clinical Research Fellow works closely with the Director of Clinical Research to execute clinical research projects; develops and maintains project specific databases; leads data collection efforts with responsibilities including creating data collection tools, developing data collection workflow plans, and entering data; assists residents, fellows, and faculty with data analysis and manuscript development; participates in meetings to develop solutions for problems with existing research and brainstorming ideas for new projects moving forward; and provides weekly progress and status updates to the Director of Clinical Research.
The Fellow's time will be allocated as follows:
40% - Data collection, entry, and database management
25% - Data analysis and manuscript development
25% - Meetings with clinical research leaders and department faculty, residents, and fellows to discuss new and ongoing projects.
10% - Planning for and initiating new clinical research projects including IRB application development and management
|Kevin Sykes, PhD, MPH
Director of Clinical Research
Fellowship Program Director
|Alexander Chiu, MD
Russell E. Bridwell, M.D.
Endowed Chair & Professor