Clinical Care Achievements
US News Rankings for Best Hospitals (2015-2016 and 2016-2017)
#31 for the Ear, Nose & Throat Speciality
US News Rankings for Best Residency Programs (2017-2018)
#30 based on reputation in Otolaryngology
Number of Patients Served (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016)
Number of Surgeries Performed (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016)
3,577 surgeries across all KU locations
939 surgeries at KU MedWest and Indian Creek Campus
810 inpatient surgeries
1,828 outpatient surgeries
- 15 years of research by faculty Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD are culminating in a clinical study to implant a remarkable virus to restore hearing in patients with severe hearing loss.
- Faculty Sufi Thomas, PhD received the AHNS Pilot Grant for her proposal titled 'Role of tumor-associated fibroblasts in head and neck cancer metabolism'. Dr. Thomas received a $30,000 donation from the O'Sullivan Foundation for her grant titled 'Characterizing the Role of Tumor-Associated Fibroblasts in Anal Squamous Cell Carcinoma.'
- Faculty Sufi Thomas, PhD recently presented on Antigen-targeted Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer - http://www.kclifesciences.org/events/collaborate-2-cure/events-2/collaborate2cure-october-20-2016/
- Resident Tommy Muelleman, MD won 1st place at COSM in May 2016 for his poster titled 'The central auditory system and cochlear implantation: using olfactory testing to evaluate a potential central component in cochlear implant performance'.
- MD/PhD Candidate Jacob New was awarded a Fellowship with the KUMC Biomedical Research Training Program for FY18. Working with mentor Dr. Sufi Thomas, Jacob aims to develop new treatments for head and neck cancer by focusing on fibroblasts autophagy to starve tumors.
- ENT residents participated in medical service trips:
- Nina Lu, MD - Phillipines
- Sameer Alvi, MD - Phillipines
- Sreeya Yalamanchali - India
- Paul Porter, MD - Phillipines
- Naweed Chowdhury, MD - Uganda
- Vidur Bhalla, MD - Philippines
- Tina Ho, MD - Guatemala
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD was a visiting professor at Vanderbilt University and the University of Nebraska Department of Otolaryngology, as well as the Guest of Honor at the Pacific Coast Ophthomology and Otolaryngology Society 100th Annual Meeting.
- Faculty Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD delivered keynotes at the European Association of Neurotology, "Molecular Therapeutics for Inner Ear Disease", and the Restoration of Sensory and Motor Function in Germany, "Initial Experiences in Gene Delivery to the Human Inner Ear".
- Faculty J. David Kriet, MD, FACS was a visiting professor at Vanderbilt University.
- The Association of Women Surgeons (AWS) offers an Annual Starr Poster Contest for Medical Students and Residents. The Starr Poster Contest, named for Dr. Nina Starr Braunwald, was designed to facilitate interaction and idea exchange between students interested in surgery, surgical residents, and faculty members of various institutions. Each year, 10 medical students and 10 residents are invited to present their research posters at the AWS Annual Conference, held in conjunction with the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress. The 1st place Medical Student Winner in 2016 was Vusala Snyder for "Characterization of DCLK1 as a stem cell marker for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma". Vusala Snyder is a student in Dr. Sufi Thomas' lab.
- Department faculty serving in University of Kansas leadership positions:
- Douglas A. Girod, MD, FACS is the 18th Chancellor of the University of Kansas system. He formerly served as the Executive Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center and Chair of the KU Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- Gregory A. Ator, MD, FACS is the Chief Medical Informatics Officer for the University of Kansas Health System and serves as Chair of the Hospital University IT Operations Coordinating Committee.
- Terance Tsue, MD, FACS is Physician-in-Chief and Vice President of the University of Kansas Cancer Center.
- Keith Sale, MD is the Vice President and Chief Physician Executive for University of Kansas Health System Ambulatory Services for clinical care.
- Carrie L. Francis, MD is Chair of the Academic and Professionalism Committee, Chair of the Admissions Subcommittee, and member of the Selection Committee for admissions at the University of Kansas Medical Center School of Medicine.
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD is the Editor-in-Chief of ENTtoday, a publication of the Triological Society.
- Faculty Larry A. Hoover, MD, FACS serves as the Program Chairman and Board Member for the Kansas City Society of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology.
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD and faculty Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD serve as Examiners for the American Board of Otolaryngology.
- KU Chancellor and department faculty Douglas A. Girod, MD, FACS is the past president of the Association of Academic Departments of Otolaryngology, past president of the American Head and Neck Society, and past vice president of the Triological Society.
Mar 06, 2018