About the Department
|January 2019||Nov-Dec 2018||Sept-Oct 2018||July-August 2018|
|May-June 2018||Spring 2018||Winter 2018||Fall 2017|
Recent Research Achievements
- Faculty Sufi Thomas, PhD won a 5-year NIH grant for ground-breaking cancer research focused on understanding the role of autophagy in the tumor microenvironment.
- Faculty Kevin Sykes, PhD, MPH is the lead for the American Cancer Society-funded project Why They Wait - A Patient-Centered Approach to Identifying the Causes of Delays in Postoperative Radiotherapy Initiation.
- Resident Matt Shew, MD collaborated with faculty mentors Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD and Kevin Sykes, PhD, MPH to secure AAO-HNSF CORE grant support for their Meniere's: Evaluation of MicroRNA Profiles of Human Inner Ear Perilymph project.
- Faculty Jennifer Villwock, MD received an AAO-HNSF Women in Otolaryngology grant for her Vitality in Medicine: A Modified Delphi Study of Women's Leadership in Medicine and Utility of Self-Coaching Techniques to Address Gaps and Enhance Success project.
- Faculty Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD is leading a landmark clinical study to implant a remarkable virus to restore hearing in patients with severe hearing loss.
Learn more about our research activities.
Recent Academic Achievements
- Faculty promotions in 2018:
Lisa Shnayder, MD was promoted to full professor on the clinical scholar track.
Robert Weatherly, MD was promoted to clinical professor.
Carrie Francis, MD was promoted to associate professor on clinical scholar track.
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD served as visiting professor at University of Virginia, University Hospital Case Western and Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary.
- A formal mentorship program was launched in winter 2018 to create professional development opportunities and supportive connections for residents and faculty.
- Residents have the option to pursue a new Global Health / Community Outreach track as part of the Residency in Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.
- ENT residents participated in medical service trips:
Andrew Holcolm, MD - Uganda
Nina Lu, MD - Phillipines
Sameer Alvi, MD - Phillipines
Sreeya Yalamanchali, MD - India
Paul Porter, MD - Phillipines
Naweed Chowdhury, MD - Uganda
Vidur Bhalla, MD - Philippines
Tina Ho, MD - Guatemala
Recent Administrative Achievements
- Department faculty serving in University of Kansas leadership positions:
Douglas A. Girod, MD, FACS is the 18th Chancellor of the University of Kansas system. He formerly served as the Executive Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas Medical Center and Chair of the KU Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Gregory A. Ator, MD, FACS is the Chief Medical Informatics Officer for the University of Kansas Health System and serves as Chair of the Hospital University IT Operations Coordinating Committee.
Terance Tsue, MD, FACS is Physician-in-Chief and Vice President of the University of Kansas Cancer Center and Vice President for Physician Services for the University of Kansas Health System.
Keith Sale, MD is the Vice President and Chief Physician Executive for University of Kansas Health System Ambulatory Services for clinical care.
Carrie L. Francis, MD, FAAP is Assistant Dean in the KUMC Office of Student Affairs and Director of the Orr Medical Alumni Society.
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD is the Editor-in-Chief of ENTtoday, a publication of the Triological Society.
- Faculty Larry A. Hoover, MD, FACS serves as the Program Chairman and Board Member for the Kansas City Society of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology.
- Department Chair Alexander Chiu, MD and faculty Hinrich Staecker, MD, PhD serve as Examiners for the American Board of Otolaryngology.
- KU Chancellor and department faculty Douglas A. Girod, MD, FACS is the past president of the Association of Academic Departments of Otolaryngology, past president of the American Head and Neck Society, and past vice president of the Triological Society.
Learn more about our faculty.
Last modified: Jan 18, 2019