As required by the LCME, the curriculum of the medical education program must include elective opportunities to supplement required course and clerkship rotations. All three campuses will provide multiple elective opportunities for medical students.
• Medical students are required to complete 16 weeks of electives to meet M.D. graduation requirements.
• Medical students will be required to complete a total of 12 weeks of clinical/patient contact (non-research) elective time in their 4th year of medical school.
• Medical students may spend a maximum of 8 weeks taking electives at another institution that is not part of the medical school's health system or affiliated with the medical school.
• Students will be provided with a list of electives offered on all three campuses of the School of Medicine.
• During the summer between the first and second year, medical students will be able to enroll in a variety of electives (http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/osa/m1-m4-calendars-and-resources/m1-summer-research.html) not to exceed a maximum of 4 credit hours.
Several factors should be considered in selecting electives: (a) student desire; (b) broadening student medical experiences; (c) improving the student's chances of matching in a residency program of their choice. All students are encouraged to engage in a variety of experiences for the purpose of complementing their education. Students are advised against, but are not prohibited, from taking two electives in a particular specialty area.