Remedial Experiences and Reinstatement to Good Standing
- The Student Promotions/Special Programs Subcommittee and APC will determine a course of remediation for a student who is not in Good Standing. Usually, one or more of the following remedial experiences will be recommended:
- repeat a required module or clerkship.
- enroll in a special module, clerkship, elective, or program to be determined, when appropriate, in consultation with module or clerkship directors.
- repeat the entire semester or year.
- Any of these remedial experiences recommended in the preceding section, whether the same module or clerkship or an approved alternative, shall constitute a repeated attempt to satisfy a specific graduation requirement.
- After successful completion of a remedial experience to improve the cumulative Grade Point Average, to rectify one or more Unsatisfactory grades, and/or to pass the appropriate step of the USMLE, and a review of the academic record by the Student Promotions/Special Programs Subcommittee, the student who is in a Stage I or II Academic Remediation category will be recommended for reinstatement to Good Standing.
- A student who has been placed on Academic Remediation for having failed to maintain acceptable academic or professional behavior and has satisfactorily completed the specified remedial experience will be reviewed by the Student Promotions/Special Programs Subcommittee and recommended for reinstatement to Good Standing.
- Holding an office in a KUMCsponsored student or campus organization or serving as a financially supported representative to a regional, or international professional meeting shall be restricted to those students in Good Standing in their academic programs. Holding membership in KUMCsponsored student or campus organization or participation in local volunteer service activities shall remain open to all students. During the process of annual registration of a student or campus organization and in the application of financial support for travel to extracurricular meetings, the respective Office of Student Affairs shall verify that the student officers and financiallysupported meeting participants are in Good Standing.
- No module or clerkship established expressly for a remedial experience or to rectify an Unsatisfactory grade may substitute for a required course or clerkship (see Section 1).
- Failure to meet the criteria of the remedial experience is grounds for Dismissal (see Section 9).
Aug 13, 2012