16965 NW 45 Highway
Parkville, MO 64152
The Office of Cultural Enhancement and Diversity (OCED) in collaboration with the Office of Student Engagement and the Students Educating and Advocating for Diversity hosted a weekend retreat in 2011 to examine diversity and cultural competency in healthcare.
Through experiential learning exercises and dialogue groups, participants will gain a working understanding of the dynamics of oppression, and the role it plays in maintaining these dynamics, and the role it can have in dismantling them. Participants will examine and become aware of personal biases and prejudices; recognize the role of the unconscious in maintaining dynamics of oppression; and practice integrating anti-oppression theories into healthcare work to improve safety and quality of care for all patients. This training includes theoretical concepts; small and large discussion groups; and experiential learning modules.
Educational GoalsThe Mosaic project is a unique residential training course. The educational goals for this retreat are to:
- Provide an experiential learning opportunity that allows for insight into each participant's internalized conflicts around issues of diversity
- Equip participants with awareness of diversity in the context of power, privilege and oppression that increases their capacity to provide culturally competent care
Upon conclusion of this retreat, participates will be able to:
- Identify one's own assumptions, values and bias about human behavior and use that knowledge to describe one's world view
- Describe organizational and institutional forces that support or negate cultural competence
- Practice using tools for effective cross-cultural communication
Students will reside at the Heartland Center, and will be required to share 3 to a room. Students are also required to stay for the duration of the retreat and complete all experiential learning components.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Meet for car pool at Storling : 3:00 p.m.
Car pool leaves KUMC: 3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Onsite check-in: 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Retreat: 5:15 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Retreat: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided
Some snacks available
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Retreat: 8:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Some snacks available
For additional information, please contact Ryan Gove at (913) 588-6681.