- 2013 ACGME site visit with 5 year accreditation cycle, no citations and one commendation for our 100% written board pass rate.
- Patient care starts on day 1 of residency.
- Annual resident retreat. The faculty cover the hospital for 20 hours while residents participate in team building and social activities.
- 2 Ambulatory Clinic months, focusing on outpatient management and aspects of business of medicine.
- 2 months of Ultrasound training in the Center for Advanced Fetal Care.
- Able to participate in the care of women at the newly opened Center for Pelvic Pain and Sexual Health. This multi-disciplinary clinic houses two AAGL trained minimally invasive surgeons, vulvar medicine specialist, certified sex therapist and sex educator, and physical therapists that specialize in pelvic therapy.
- A faculty nocturnist supervises night call. Our version of a night hospitalist, she is committed to education and supervision because she has no day commitments.
- Annual participation in PROMPT (PRactical Obstetric Multi-Professional Training), an evidence based multi-professional simulation course for obstetric emergencies.
- Residents with ample opportunities to be primary surgeon and have counsel time in robotic surgery cases. Structured learning plan for use of simulator to increase education of robotic surgery.
- Dedicated resident research supervisor to assist in all steps of research.
- Gynecology Inpatient team consists of residents of varying levels of residents, medical students and a gynecology staff of the week
- Daily rounding with discussion of service patients and medical topics
- Covers all surgical cases and Emergency Room and inpatient floor consults
- Obstetrics team consists of residents of varying levels, medical students, and general Hospitalist faculty and Maternal Fetal
- Medicine staff of the week
- Approximately 2000 deliveries per year
- Referral center for high risk obstetrics
- Twice daily board sign out and morning rounds with Hospitalist faculty and Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist
- Participate in all triage work-ups, floor management and procedures
Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Daily rounds with Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist
- Participate in care of antenatal patients and high risk laboring patients
- Participate in the outpatient management of high risk patients at the Center for High Risk Pregnancy
- Senior and junior resident team
- Supervised by nocturnist, a full-time faculty that covers nights
- Senior and junior resident team along with physician assistant
- Manage inpatient service along with participating in operative cases
- Participate in outpatient clinic at the University of Kansas Cancer Center
- Participate in the operating room in a wide variety of prolapse and incontinence procedures
- 1-2 days per week of clinic and outpatient urodynamics and cystoscopy
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Participate in outpatient clinic which includes the areas only fertility preservation program and TLC program for recurrent pregnancy loss
- Participate in surgical procedures both at Kansas University Hospital and Indian Creek Campus
- Structured reading assignments from ASRM support the rotation
- Learn abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound at the Center for Advanced Fetal Care (CAFCA)
- CAFCA is a regional referral center and performs 10,000 ultrasounds annually
- Online learning modules are used to compliment the hands-on experience
- PGY2 - 1 month
- Rotation focusing on outpatient management of common gynecological problems
- 1 week focus on business of medicine aspects such as billing, front desk, check out and medical records.
- PGY 4 - 1 month
- Focus on pelvic medicine working with the providers at the Center for Pelvic Pain and Sexual Health
- 3 months during the PGY 3 year
- Supervised by the Lincoln Center Obstetrics and Gynecology group, a private practice group
- Rotation simulates private practice and is spent mostly in the operating room and labor and delivery unit at Stormont-Vail Hospital
- Located 1 hour West of Kansas City, housing is provided
- Call while on this rotation is at Topeka only
- Half day per week on all rotations expect SICU and Night Float
- Organized in 2 teams with a cross-sectional representation of resident levels, supervising physicians and team nurse
- Continuity stressed to maximize patient care and procedures
Nov 02, 2016