Grand Rounds Presentations
Each week, faculty members in the departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery meet for grand rounds lectures on evolving areas and new trends in their field. Many of these presentations are available below.
Videos of Grand Rounds Presentations
Selected grand rounds presentations are made available on video.
- Oct. 10, 2014 - Dr. Richard Barohn - Watch a video of his talk, "Advice for Young Investigators Involved in Clinical and Translational Research," or view his PowerPoint slides.
- Oct. 3, 2014 - Dr. Jonathan Miller - Watch a video of his talk, "New Approaches to Stereo-EEG."
- Oct. 2, 2014 - Dr. Mazen Dimachkie - Watch a video of his talk given at the University of Missouri, "Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies: An Update."
- Sept. 26, 2014 - Dr. Edward A. Neuwelt - Watch a video of his talk, "Delivery of chemotherapeutics across the Blood-Brain Barrier: challenges and advances."
- Sept. 12, 2014 - Dr. Michael Abraham - Watch a video of his talk, "Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: The Plumbing," or view his PowerPoint slides.
- Sept. 5, 2014 - Dr. In-Young Choi - Watch a video of her talk, "Cerebral Antioxidant Defenses in Aging and Neurodegeneration."
- August 29, 2014 - Dr. Nicholas Silvestri - Watch a video of his talk, "HyperCKemia." or view his PowerPoint slides.
- August 8, 2014 - Dr. Leo Wang - Watch a video of his talk, "Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy: New disease mechanisms and potentials for treatment," or view his PowerPoint slides.
- July 18, 2014 - Dr. Dipika Aggarwal - Watch a video of her talk, "Epilepsy surgery: an under-utilized treatment modality," or view her PowerPoint slides.
- July 11, 2014 - Dr. Tara Quesnell - Watch a video of her talk, "Alcohol and the Nervous System."
- June 27, 2014 - Dr. Omar Jawdat - Watch a video of his talk, "Late-Onset Pompe Disease: A Review," or view his PowerPoint slides.
- June 13, 2014 - Dr. Kyle Carpenter - Watch a video of his talk, "Multimodality Neuromonitoring in the ICU"
- June 6, 2014 - Dr. Thomas G. Brott - Eighth Annual Ziegler Lecture. Watch a video of his talk, "Carotid Artery Disease for 2020 and Beyond!"
- April 18, 2014 - Dr. Richard Barohn - Watch a video of his talk, "IVIG or Plasmapheresis for Neuromuscular Disease" or view his PowerPoint slides.
- March 7, 2014 - Dr. David Saperstein - Watch a video of his talk, "We Know How to Treat CIDP, Now What?" or view his PowerPoint slides. Also see a brief interview with Dr. Saperstein conducted by Dr. Richard Barohn before the lecture.
- March 6, 2014 - Dr. Paul Camarata - Watch a video of his talk, "Over the Shoulder of Walter Dandy: Medical Illustrations Discovered," at the Kansas City Neurology/Neurosurgery Society.
- January 29, 2014 - Dr. Richard Barohn - Watch a video of his grand rounds given at the University of Colorado, "Diagnosis, Treatment and Research for ALS: Old and New Ideas." or view his slides in .PDF form.
- January 17, 2014 - Crystal Cameron-Vedros - Watch a video of her talk, "Navigating the Waters of Open Access."
- January 3, 2014 - Dr. Richard Barohn - Watch a video of his talk, "A Tale of 5 IND's" or view his slides. NOTE: In the video, Dr. Barohn refers to Dr. Russell Katz as the contact person at the Food and Drug Administration for submitting IND applications, but Dr. Katz recently stepped down, and the new contact person is Dr. Eric Bastings, email@example.com.
- December 13, 2013 - Dr. David Clifford - Watch a video of his talk, "Neurosarcoidosis.", and follow along with his PowerPoint slides.
- November 8, 2013 - Dr. Joseph Maroon - Follow along with his slide presentation while watching a video of his talk, "The Secrets of Longevity: The New Science of Epigenetics."
- October 25, 2013 - Dr. Robert C. Griggs - Watch a video of his talk, "Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy." Also, see another lecture given by Dr. Griggs, "The Experimental Therapeutics of Rare Diseases," which was given in connection with the nomination of Dr. Richard Barohn, Chairman of the KU Medical Center Neurology Department, as a University Distinguished Professor.
- October 4, 2013 - Dr. Aziz Shaibani - Watch a video of his talk, "The Power of Placebo in Medicine," and see a brief interview of Dr. Shaibani after the lecture, or view his slides in .PDF form.
- September 27, 2013 - Dr. Jonathan S. Katz - Watch a video of his talk, "A Deep Dive Into The Neuropathy Work-Up," and follow along with his PowerPoint slides. A brief interview of Dr. Katz precedes the lecture.
- August 23, 2013 - Dr. Chester V. Oddis - See the slides for "Myositis Update: Treatment, Autoantibodies and More," and watch a video of Dr. Oddis' presentation, followed by an interview of Dr. Oddis conducted by Dr. Richard Barohn and Dr. Mazen Dimachkie. (Interview starts at 59:40 in the video).
Grand Rounds Slides
Slide decks are available for several grand rounds presentations.
- September 6, 2013 - Dr. Jeffrey M. Burns, Dr. Russ Waitman and Dr. Patricia Kluding - "HERON, Frontiers and Pioneers: Database and Recruitment Resources to Advance Your Research."
- July 5, 2013 - Dr. Dipika Aggarwal - "Inflammatory Myopathies"
- May 31, 2013 - Dr. Brennen Bittel - "Non-Convulsive Status Epilepticus (NCSE): Our Experience at a Tertiary Care Center"
- May 17, 2013 - Dr. Richard Barohn and Dr. Mazen Dimachkie - "A Tale of Four INDs"
- May 10, 2013 - Dr. Maryam Tahmasbi Sohi - "Exercise Therapy in Neuromuscular Disease"
- April 19, 2013 - Dr. Kapil Sethi - "Parozysmal Dyskinesias"
- April 12, 2013 - Dr. Vernon Rowe - "Drug Development Outside the Academic Environment"
- March 29, 2013 - Dr. Behrouz Zamanifekri - "Intraoperative Monitoring"
- March 8, 2013 - Dr. Russell Swerdlow - "Bioenergetic Manipulation for the Treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases"
- February 8, 2013 - Dr. Richard Dubinsky - "When Does Huntington's Disease Begin?"
- February 1, 2013 - Dr. Richard Barohn - "HUNT: The Heartland Unit for Neuroscience Trials, NeuroNEXT Network"
- December 21, 2013 - Dr. Richard Barohn - "New Ideas and Dilemmas from Recent Clinical Research in Muscle Diseases"
- October 16, 2012 - Dr. Russell Swerdlow - "The Spectrum of Neurodegenerative Dementia"
- September 28, 2012 - Dr. Michael Rippee - "The Hypercoagulability Panel in Stroke: Which Tests Should Be Done?"
- September 21, 2012 - Anne Arthur - "KU Alzheimer's Disease Center - The Executive Director's Perspective"
- August 31, 2012 - Dr. Andrei Belousov - "Novel Mechanism of Glutamate-Dependent Neuronal Death: Implications in Ischemic Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury and Epilepsy"
- August 10, 2012 - Dr. Bradley Evanoff - "Occupational and Environmental Exposures: Associations with Parkinsonism"
- July 27, 2012 - Dr. Elliot Frohman - "Eye-ing a Window of Neuroprotection for MS"
- July 20, 2012 - Dr. Mazen Dimachkie - "Management of Neuropathic Pain"
- July 13, 2012 - Dr. William Nowack - "STAT EEGs"
Oct 27, 2014