Students may apply directly to the Department for either the Masters or Ph.D. degree program of study. Students carry out research in a specific area of Virology, Bacteriology, or Immunology and are prepared for careers in academic, governmental or industrial settings. Degree requirements include successful completion of course work and submission and defense of a thesis/dissertation based on original research carried out under the supervision of a department faculty member.
Application materials must include:
- Personal statement
- Transcripts from B.S., B.A. or Master's degree in microbiology, biological or life sciences
- GRE score report
- TOEFL score report (applicants for whom English is her/his second language)
To apply for admission:
1. Submit your completed application (https://www.applyweb.com/apply/kumc/) together with the $60 non-refundable application fee. (You will be asked to provide contact e-mail addresses for three references. After you submit your application, your references will then receive an automated e-mail with instructions for submitting their letter of recommendation through our online system.)
2. Please notify us when you have submitted these graduate application materials by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Attention: Graduate Study in Microbiology
Your First Name:
Your Last Name:
Area of Your Interest :
The Last Institution From Which You Received a Degree:
3. Request that one copy of your official transcripts from each college/university previously attended be sent to the KUMC Registrar's office at the following address:
KUMC Office of the Registrar/Student Admissions
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160
4. Request that an official copy of your GRE and TOEFL (for international applicants) score reports be sent to the KUMC Registrar's office. (For direct reporting of GRE and TOEFL scores, our institution code is 6895.)
Deadlines: Please complete your application and ensure we have received all materials by our application deadline of March 1, 2015. However, we will continue to accept applications until all positions have been filled. Once your completed application has been received it will be reviewed by the admissions committee. All decisions regarding acceptance will be made no later than May 15.
Financial Aid: Students admitted in the Ph.D. program will receive a full tuition waiver and a research scholarship in the amount of $24,000 per year. At this time, we are unable to provide financial assistance for students pursuing a Master's degree in the department.
The Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences (IGPBS) admits students with interests in all areas of basic biomedical research. The first year of the program involves course work in molecular and cellular biology and rotations in at least two laboratories. At the end of the first year, students who select an advisor with a primary appointment in Microbiology become members of the Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology. Please note that IGPBS has an earlier application deadline. Check http://www.kumc.edu/igpbs/how-to-apply.html for the current deadline.