Jianming Qiu, Ph.D.
Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology
Ph.D., Chinese Center for Disease Control, Beijing, China, 1994.
Office: 4004C Hixon | Lab: 4004 Hixon
913-588-4329 | email
Parvoviruses contain a small linear single-stranded DNA genome between 4.5-5.5 kb in length that has palindromic hairpin termini which serve as origins of DNA replication. Viral genome is encapsidated within a non-enveloped, icosahedral virion, approximately 20 nm in diameter. Parvoviruses, that infect vertebrate species, have most recently been classified in 5 genera: 1) the Parvoviruses, which include as the prototype minute virus of mice (MVM); 2) the Erythroviruses, of which the pathogenic human parvovirus B19 is the prototype; 3) the Dependoviruses, which include the adeno-associated viruses (AAVs), one of the most attractive gene delivery vectors for human gene therapy; 4) the Amdoviruses, of which Aleutian Mink Disease Virus (AMDV) is currently the only known member; and 5) the Bocaviruses, which include bovine parvovirus (BPV), as well as a recently identified human bocavirus (HBoV) that has been reported to be associated with lower respiratory tract infections in children.
The parvoviruses B19, AMDV and Bocaviruses are unique among animal DNA viruses in that they have a single promoter, and thus must rely on post-transcriptional processes to generate their genetic diversity. For all these viruses, capsid protein production is a key regulator of their replication strategies. The lab has chosen to investigate how alternative polyadenylation, and regulated translation initiation govern the production of the viral capsid proteins. Alternative polyadenylation also is one of the mechanisms in mammalian cells that give rise to genetic diversity which leads a variety of transcripts from a single gene. We will further analyze the underlying mechanisms that control alternative polyadenylation utilizing our established model of AAV5. Our studies will thus answer critical questions in the biology of parvovirus gene expression, and help illuminate the basic cellular processes of alternative polyadenylation.
- Jianming Qiu, Kevin E. Brown: A 110 kDa nuclear shuttle protein, nucleolin, specifically binds to adeno-associated virus type 2 (AAV-2) capsids, Virology, 1999, 257:373-382.
- Jianming Qiu, Mizukami Hiro, and Kevin E. Brown: Adeno-associated virus co-receptors? Nature Medicine [Letter], 1999, 5:467-468.
- Jianming Qiu, Kevin E. Brown: Integrin alphaVbeta5 is not involved in Adeno-associated virus type 2 (AAV2) infection, Virology, 1999, 264:436-440.
- Jianming Qiu, Atsushi Handa, Martha Kirby, and Kevin E. Brown: Interaction between heparan sulfate and Adeno-Associated virus type-2 (AAV-2), Virology, 2000, 269:137-147.
- Atsushi Handa, Shin-ichi Muramatsu, Jianming Qiu and Kevin E. Brown: AAV-3 based vectors transduce hematopoietic cells not transduced by AAV-2 based vectors, J. General Virology, 2000, 81:2077-84.
- Jianming Qiu, David Pintel: The adeno-associated virus type 2 Rep protein regulates RNA processing via interaction with the transcription template, Molecular and Cellular Biology, 2002, 22: 3639-3652.
- Jianming Qiu, Ramnath Nayak, Gregory E. Tullis, and David Pintel: Characterization of the transcriptional profile of AAV5 reveals a number of unique features compared to previously characterized adeno-associated viruses, J. Virology, 2002, 76: 12435-12447.
- Jianming Qiu, Ramnath Nayak, and David Pintel: Alternative polyadenylation of adeno-associated virus type 5 RNA within an internal intron is governed by both a downstream element within the intron 3'splice acceptor and an element upstream of the P41 initiation site, J. Virology, 2004, 78:83-93.
- Jianming Qiu, and David Pintel: Alternative polyadenylation of AAV5 RNA within an internal intron is governed by the distance between the promoter and the intron and is inhibited by U1 snRNP binding to the intervening donor, J. Biological Chemistry, 2004, 279:14889-14898.
- Zhengwen Liu, Jianming Qiu*, Fang Cheng, Yonglie Chu, Yuko Yoto, M. Gerard O'Sullivan, Kevin E. Brown, and David J. Pintel: Comparison of the transcription profile of simian parvovirus with that of the human erythrovirus B19 reveals a number of unique features, J. Virology, 2004, 78:12929-12939.
- Zhuping Xu, Yongping Yue, Yi Lai, Chaoyang Ye, Jianming Qiu, David J. Pintel, and Dongsheng Duan: Trans-splicing adeno-associated viral vector-mediated gene therapy is limited by the accumulation of spliced mRNA but not by dual vector coinfection efficiency, Human Gene Therapy, 2004, 15:896-905.
- Jianming Qiu*, Laura Kakkola, Fang Cheng, Chaoyang Ye, Maria Söderlund-Venermo, Klaus Hedman, and David J. Pintel: Expression strategy of the human circovirus TT virus (TTV) genotype 6, J. Virology, 2005, 79:6505-10.
- Jianming Qiu*, Fang Cheng, Yuko Yoto, Zoltán Zádori, and David Pintel: The expression strategy of goose parvovirus exhibits features of both the Dependovirus and Parvovirus genera, J. Virology, 2005, 79:11035-11044.
- Jianming Qiu*, Fang Cheng, and David Pintel: The transcription profile of Aleutian Mink Disease Virus (AMDV) in CRFK cells is generated by alternative processing of pre-mRNAs produced from a single promoter, J. Virology, 2006, 80: 654-662.
- Yuko Yoto, Jianming Qiu, and David Pintel: Identification and characterization of two internal cleavage and polyadenylation sites of parvovirus B19 RNA. J. Virology, 2006, 80: 1604-1609.
- Jianming Qiu, Fang Cheng, and David Pintel: Expression profiles of bovine adeno-associated virus and avian adeno-associated virus display significant similarity to that of adeno-associated virus type 5, J. Virology, 2006, 80: 5482-5493.
- Chaoyang Ye, Jianming Qiu, and David Pintel: Efficient expression of the adeno-associated virus type 5 P41capsid gene promoter in 293 cells does not require rep. J. Virology. 2006, 80: 6559-6567.
- Jianming Qiu*, Fang Cheng, and David Pintel: Molecular characterization of the caprine adeno-associated virus (AAV-Go.1) reveals striking similarity to human AAV5. Virology, 2006, 356(1-2):208-16.
- Feng Lin, Aiping Zeng, Ningmin Yang, Haiyan Lin, En Yang, Shengqi Wang, David Pintel and Jianming Qiu*: Quantification of human bocavirus in lower respiratory tract infections in China. Infect Agent Cancer, 2007, 2:3.
- Jianming Qiu, Fang Cheng, and David Pintel: The abundant R2 mRNA generated by the Aleutian Mink Disease Parvovirus is tri-cistronic, encoding NS2, VP1, and VP2. J. Virology, 2007, 81:6993-7000.
- Jianming Qiu, Fang Cheng, David Pintel: Distance-dependent processing of adeno-associated virus type 5 (AAV5) RNA is controlled by 5'- exon definition. J. Virology, 2007, 81:7974-84.
- Laura Kakkola, Johanna Tommiska, Linda C. L. Boele, Simo Miettinen, Tea Blom, Tuija Kekarainen, Jianming Qiu, David Pintel, Rob C. Hoeben, Klaus Hedman and Maria Söderlund-Venermo. Construction and biological activity of a full-length molecular clone of human Torque teno virus (TTV) genotype 6. FEBS J. 2007, 274:4719-30.
- Jianming Qiu*, Fang Cheng, F. Brent Johnson, David Pintel. The transcription profile of the Bocavirus bovine parvovirus is unlike previously characterized parvoviruses. J Virol. 2007 Aug 22; [Epub ahead of print, PMID: 17715221].
- Jianming Qiu, David Pintel: Processing of adeno-associated virus RNA.Front Biosci. 2008,13:3101-15.
- Feng Lin, Wuxiang Guan, Fang Cheng, Ningmin Yang, David Pintel, Jianming Qiu*: ELISAs using human bocavirus VP2 virus-like particles for detection of antibodies against HBoV. J Virol Methods. 2008, 149:110-7.
- Wuxiang Guan, Fang Cheng, Yuko Yoto, Steve Kleiboeker, Susan Wong, Ning Zhi, Pintel D, Jianming Qiu*. A block to the production of full length B19 transcripts by internal polyadenylation is overcome by replication of the viral genome. J Virol. 2008 Aug 6. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18684834.
- Dhillon N, Zhu X, Peng F, Yao H, Williams R, Callen S, Ladner AO, Buch S, Jianming Qiu*. Molecular mechanism(s) involved in the synergistic induction of CXCL10 by human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat and interferon-gamma in macrophages. J Neurovirol, 2008: 143:196-204.
- L. Kakkola, K. Hedman, Jianming Qiu, D. Pintel, and M. Söderlund-Venermo. Replication of and protein synthesis by TT viruses. p 53-64 In TT Viruses-The Still Elusive Human Pathogens, Ethel-Michele de Villiers and Harald zur Hausen (eds.), Series of Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology Vol. 331, Springer, 2008.
- Yuning Sun, Aaron Yun Chen, Fang Cheng, Wuxiang Guan, F. Brent Johnson and Jianming Qiu*. Molecular characterization of infectious clones of the minute virus of canines reveals unique features of Bocaviruses. J Virol. 2009 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wuxiang Guan, Susan Wong, Ning Zhi, and Jianming Qiu* (2009) The Genome of Human Parvovirus B19 Can Replicate in Nonpermissive Cells with the Help of Adenovirus Genes and Produces Infectious Virus. J. Virol. 83:9541-53.
- Long Li, Jianming Qiu, and David J. Pintel (2009) The Choice of Translation Initiation Site of the Rep Proteins from Goose Parvovirus P9-Generated mRNA Is Governed by Splicing and the Nature of the Excised Intron. J. Virol. 83:10264-8.
- Zhaojun Chen, Wuxiang Guan, Fang Cheng, Aaron Yun Chen and Jianming Qiu* (2009) Molecular characterization of human parvovirus B19 genotypes 2 and 3. Virology, 2009 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print, PMID: 19758675].
- Aaron Yun Chen, Elizabeth Yan Zhang, Wuxiang Guan, Fang Cheng, Steve Kleiboeker, Thomas M. Yankee and Jianming Qiu*. The small 11kDa non-structural protein of human parvovirus B19 plays a key role in inducing apoptosis during B19 virus infection of primary erythroid progenitor cells. Blood, 2010, 115(5):1070-80 [PMC2817633]. Featured in "Inside Blood"
- Fang Cheng, Aaron Yun Chen, Sonja M. Best, Marshall E. Bloom, David Pintel, and Jianming Qiu*. The capsid proteins of Aleutian mink disease virus (AMDV) activate caspases and are specifically cleaved during infection. J. Virol., 2010, 84:2687-96 [PMC2826067].
- Aaron Yun Chen, Yong Luo, Fang Cheng, Yuning Sun, and Jianming Qiu*. Bocavirus infection induces a mitochondrion-mediated apoptosis and cell cycle arrest at G2/M-phase. J. Virol., 2010, 84:5615-26 [PMID: 20335259].
- Aaron Yun Chen, Fang Cheng, Sai Lou, Yong Luo, Zhengwen Liu, Eric Delwart, David Pintel, and Jianming Qiu*. Characterization of the gene expression profile of human bocavirus. Virology, 2010 May 8 [Epub ahead of print] [PMID: 20457462].
*as corresponding author
Aug 26, 2011