The Kidney Institute is a world-class, internationally recognized research center. Our mission is to support basic, clinical and translational research leading to major advances in the prevention and treatment of kidney diseases. The Kidney Institute is committed to the pursuit of excellence by creating an environment that empowers creativity and innovation, and encourages collaboration and teamwork between laboratory scientists and physicians.
As one of the top kidney research centers in the country, the Kidney Institute gives hope to those with kidney disease. Our research teams identify risk factors that affect the progression of kidney disease and we develop improved treatments.
With more than 35 KU faculty physician scientists and some 100 research associates, our nephrology program ranks No. 33 in U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals 2014-15. This is the sixth straight year that we have been recognized amongst the nation's top 50 nephrology programs.
News & highlights
- Congratulations to Robin Maser, Ph.D.on her COBRE-Protein Structure and Function small grant award titled "Homology Modeling of Polycystin-1."
- Congratulations to Chris Ward, M.B.,Ch.B.,Ph.D., for his COBRE-Protein Structure and Function small grant award titled "Isolating and Purifying Polycystin Complex from Human Urinary Exosomes."
- Congratulations to Stephen Parnell, Ph.D., on his Frontiers Pilot Project Award titled "Regulation of PKD development by O-GlcNAcylation and identification of the early stage O-GlcNAcylated biomarkers."
- Congratulations to post-doctoral fellow Madhu Rajagopol, Ph.D. (Dr. Alan Yu's lab) on receiving the 2015 Biomedical Research Training Program Fellowship
- Congratulations to pre-doctoral graduate student Archana Raman (Dr. Wallace's Lab) on receiving the 2015 Biomedical Research Training Program Fellowship
- The Kidney Institute welcomes four new nephrology fellows (Aug 2014)
- KI's Walk for PKD team "The Renal Avengers" featured in PKD Foundation's PKD Progress magazine (Aug 2014)
- Study initiated at The Kidney Institute featured in U.S. News & World Report (May 2014)
- Four of our nephrologists have been chosen Outstanding Doctors of America
- $7.5 million in research funding was awarded to Kidney Institute members in 2012
- For more about KI achievements and advances, see our news archive
Apr 02, 2015