The Kidney Institute is a world-class, internationally recognized research center. Our mission is to support basic, clinical and translational research leading to major advances in the prevention and treatment of kidney diseases. The Kidney Institute is committed to the pursuit of excellence by creating an environment that empowers creativity and innovation, and encourages collaboration and teamwork between laboratory scientists and physicians.
As one of the top kidney research centers in the country, the Kidney Institute gives hope to those with kidney disease. Our research teams identify risk factors that affect the progression of kidney disease and we develop improved treatments.
With more than 35 KU faculty physician scientists and some 100 research associates, our nephrology program ranks No. 38 in U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals 2015-16. This is the seventh straight year that we have been recognized amongst the nation's top 50 nephrology programs.
News & Highlights
- Join the Renal Avengers team and Walk for PKD on Saturday, Sept 12, 2015
- Congratulations to Dr. Alan Yu on being awarded a NIH R21 grant for a PKD clinical trial titled, "Randomized, controlled pilot study of nicotinamide (vitamin B3) in polycystic kidney disease." For more info. on this study, contact Cathy Creed, Nurse Coordinator, at Tel. 913-588-0053 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Congratulations to Dr. Darren Wallace on his 5-year NIH grant extension for his project : The Role of Periostin in Polcystic Kidney Disease
- TMAO Implicated as a Cardiovascular Risk Factor in CKD: study in the news led by Dr. Jason Stubbs
- Dr. Alan Yu and Dr. Jason Stubbs in the news: A byproduct of intestinal bacteria may promote heart disease in kidney disease patients
- Congratulations to Jackie Peda on receiving a PKD Foundation Fellowship in the amount of $100,000 to support her project titled : "The regulation of cardiac remodeling by PC1 and SMYD2 in PKD." Jackie will be joining Dr. Xiaogang Li's lab to work on her project
- Congratulations to Dr. Jason Stubbs on his grant award funding from the American Heart Association beginning July 1, 2015 titled : Intestinal Microbiota and Atherosclerosis Risk in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dr. Reena Rao's paper, "Glycogen synthase kinase-3β promotes cyst expansion in polycystic kidney disease" is featured on the cover of the June 2015 edition of Kidney International. Congrats to Dr. Rao and her lab!
- Congratulations to Dr. Julie Zhou on her Postdoctoral grant award funding from the Administrative Core of the Kansas IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE). Title of her award: Functional Roles of DNMT1 in Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Congratulations to Dr. James Calvet and Dr. Xiaogang Li on their Racing Unlimited PKD Research grant awards
- Congratulations to Dr. Darren Wallace, Dr. Stephen Parnell, and Dr. Madhulika Sharma on their Kidney Institute Pilot Grant awards
- Congratulations to Dr. Sri Yarlagadda on her promotion to Associate Professor
- Congratulations to Dr. Tim Fields on his promotion to Professor
Sep 04, 2015