Joseph E. Donnelly, Ed.D.
Professor of Medicine
Director, Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management
BS, Davis and Elkins College, Elkins, WV
MS, Exercise Physiology, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
ED.D, Exercise Physiology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Energy balance
- Child nutrition and fitness
- Obesity and chronic disease risk
- Effect of exercise on weight loss and maintenance
- Physical activity, brain function and academic achievement in children
- Exercise and Alzheimer's disease in the elderly
- Alternative delivery strategies for prevention and treatment of obesity
- Resistance training, energy balance and weight management
- Weight loss and maintenance for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Donnelly JE, Washburn R, Nary D, Ptomey L, Greene L, Szabo-Reed A, Lee R, Mayo M. Weight management for adults with mobility related disabilities. National Institutes of Health. 2019-2024. Funded.
Marsh CA, Gorczyca AM, Donnelly JE. Preconception weight loss among anovulatory women seeking fertility treatment. Frontiers- Clinical and Translational Pilot Research Grant. 2018-2019. FundedDonnelly JE, Ptomey L, Washburn R, Greene L, Mayo M, Szabo-Reed. Individual and family-based approaches to increase physical activity in adolescents with IDD. National Institutes of Health. 2018-2023. Funded.
Donnelly JE, Washburn R, Greene JL, Ptomey L Szabo-Reed A, Lee R. Teacher vs. remotely delivered classroom physical activity breaks. National Institutes of Health. 2018-2023. Funded.
Donnelly JE, Ptomey L, Washburn R, Greene L, Mayo M, Lee R, Szabo-Reed. Remote Delivery of Weight Management for Adults with IDD. National Institutes of Health. 2017-2022. Funded.
Donnelly JE, Washburn R, Vansaghi L, Sullivan D, Mayo, M, Ptomey L, Lee R. Weight management in rural health clinics. National Institutes of Health. 2016-2021. Funded.