Interventional Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship
Overview from the program director
The cardiology fellowship at the University of Kansas Medical Center is a three year program to train for a career in academic as well as clinical cardiology. The program is ACGME accredited and fulfills requirements for training as indicated in the July 1, 2007 ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Cardiovascular Diseases. There are currently thirty-eight cardiovascular physicians at the KU Hospital with active interventional cardiology and electrophysiology services, including subspecialty fellows in these disciplines.
The University of Kansas Hospital is a 456-bed academic tertiary care referral center for the Kansas City metropolitan area, western Missouri, and eastern Kansas. It includes a 72-bed Center for Advanced Heart Care that opened in 2006. KU Hospital and clinics feature a robust electronic medical record system, O2, a product from Epic Systems Corporation.
There are three cardiac catheterization laboratories with procedure volume (2008-09) of 3,602, including 891 PCIs, 409 peripheral vascular procedures, and 68 PFO closures. There are three active electrophysiology laboratories with a procedure volume (2008-09) of 532 EP studies, 425 advanced (3D) mapping procedures, 268 SVT ablations, 203 atrial fibrillation ablations, 26 VT ablations, 313 ICD implantations, 257 pacemaker implantations, 127 biventricular pacemaker implantation, and 127 lead extractions.
The Kansas City Veterans Administration Medical Center is part of VA Integrated Service Network 15 (VISN 15). The Kansas City VA opened in 1952 and currently has 156 beds with two cardiac catheterization laboratories, where cardiac catheterizations and percutaneous coronary interventions are performed and permanent pacemakers and ICDs are implanted. With approximately 2000 admissions per year, it serves as a referral center for Topeka and Leavenworth VA hospitals and 7 Community Based outpatient clinics.
The Cardiovascular Research Institute offers state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure for basic, clinical, or translational cardiovascular research. A number of physicians within the division are actively engaged in numerous investigator-initiated projects. Fellows are strongly encouraged to initiate and participate in innovative projects, present at conferences, and publish.
The first year of training includes rotations in coronary care unit, cardiovascular consultations, cardiac catheterization, nuclear cardiology, echocardiography, and electrophysiology at the University of Kansas Hospital or at the Kansas City Veterans Medical Center. Additional rotations during subsequent years include cardiac CT and magnetic resonance imaging, noninvasive peripheral vascular imaging, cardiothoracic surgery, and pediatric cardiology. Research rotations commensurate with the need (up to a maximum of twelve months) are made available to fellows interested in such pursuits. Once the required rotations are accomplished, the fellowship program administration is very flexible in modifying fellow activities and rotations to fit their future career goals.
All fellows have a half-day continuity clinic at the University of Kansas Hospital or one of it local clinic sites with staff cardiology mentors. Current night call is a night float rotation. With the current program size (nine fellows), first year fellows have night float for 10 weeks, second year fellows for 4 weeks, and third year fellows for two weeks. On-call fellows can easily contact on-call cardiac sonographers, staff cardiologists, electrophysiologists, and interventional cardiologists.
Conferences are held at 7 AM, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The Internal Medicine grand rounds is held on Wednesday mornings at 8 AM. There is a separate noninvasive imaging conference at noon on Thursday and research conferences every third Wednesday of the month at 7 AM. The division supports attendance at a major national meeting at each year of fellowship.
||Kamal Gupta, M.D., FACC, FSCAI, R.P.V.I.
Associate Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
Director, Vascular Medicine Program Mid America Cardiology
||Matthew B. Earnest, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
||Randall E. Genton, M.D., F.A.C.C.
Associate Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
||Ashwani Mehta, M.D., M.B.B.S., F.A.C.C.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
||Peter N. Tadros, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I., F.A.S.E
Assistant Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
||Mark A. Wiley, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I
Assistant Professor of Medicine - Cardiology
Vinodh Jeevanatham, MD, MPH
Interventional Cardiovascular Fellow
Medical School: Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India
Residency: Unity Health System / University of Rochester
Masters in Public Health: University of Florida
Research Interests: Interventional Cardiology,Intra-Coronary Imaging, Left atrial function, Outcomes Research, Meta-analysis.
- Jeevanantham V, Butler M, Saad A, Abdel-Latif A, Zuba-Surma EK, Dawn B. Adult bone marrow cell therapy improves survival and induces long-term improvement in cardiac parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circulation. 2012 Jul 31;126(5):551-68. Epub 2012 Jun 22.
- Kwok CS, Jeevanantham V, Dawn B, Loke YK. No consistent evidence of differential cardiovascular risk amongst proton-pump inhibitors when used with clopidogrel: Meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2012 Mar 29.
- Jeevanantham V, Chughtai H, Little, WC, Morgan T, Kitzman DW, Hamilton CA, Hundley WG. Aging Reduces Left Atrial Performance during Adrenergic Stress in Middle Aged and Older Patients. Cardiol J. 2012;19(1):45-52.
- Jeevanantham V, Ntim W, Navaneethan SD, Hall B, Johnson AC, Shah S, Hundley G, Daubert JP, Fitzgerald D. Meta-analysis of the Effect of Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation on Left Atrial Size, Volumes and Function in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 2010 May 1;105(9):1317-26. Review.
- Navaneethan SD, Kandula P, Jeevanantham V, Nally J, Liebman SE. Referral Patterns of Primary Care Physicians for Chronic Kidney Disease in General Population and Geriatric Patients. Clin Nephrol. 2010 Apr;73(4):260-7.
- Jeevanantham V, Manne K, Sengodan M, Haley JM, Hsi DH. Predictors of Coronary Artery Disease in Patients with Left Bundle Branch Block who undergo Myocardial Perfusion Imaging. Cardiol J. 2009;16(4):321-6.
- Aktas MK, Jeevanantham V, Sherazi S, Flynn D, Hall B, Huang DT, Rosero S, Daubert JP, Shah AH. Effect of Biventricular Pacing During a Ventricular Sensed Event. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Jun 15;103(12):1741-5.
- Jeevanantham V, Daubert JP, Zareba W. Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in Heart Failure Patients: An Update. Cardiol J. 2009;16(3):197-209. Review.
- Loke YK, Jeevanantham V, Singh S. Bisphosphonates and atrial fibrillation: systematic review and meta-analysis. Drug Saf. 2009;32(3):219-28.
- Jeevanantham V, Zareba W, Navaneethan S, Fitzgerald D, Yu CM, Achilli A, Bax J, Daubert J. Metaanalysis on effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy in heart failure patients with narrow QRS complex.. Cardiology Journal. 2008 Jul; 15(3): 230-236
- Shrivastava R, Khan A, Jeevanantham V, Nautiyal A, Garg P, Reddy PC. Control of Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Use of Aspirin in Diabetic Patients Remain Elusive. South Med J. 2008 May 7.
- Jeevanantham V, Levine E, Budzikowski AS, Shah AH, Daubert JP. Defibrillation Coil Reversal: A Rare Cause of Abnormal Noise and Inappropriate Shocks. PACE 2008; 31:375-377.
- Sherazi S, Daubert JP, Block RC, Jeevanantham V, Abdel-Gadir K, DiSalle MR, Haley JM, Shah AH. Physicians' preferences and attitudes about end-of-life care in patients with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. Mayo Clinic Proc. October 2008; 83 (10): 1139-1141.
- Navaneethan SD, Nigwekar S, Sengodan M, Anand E, Kadam S, Jeevanantham V, Grieff M, Choudhry W. Referral to nephrologists for chronic kidney disease care: is non-diabetic kidney disease ignored? Nephron Clin Pract. 2007;106(3):c113-8. Epub 2007 May 22.
- Hall B, Jeevanantham V, Levine E, Daubert J, McNitt S, Morady FM, Pelosi F. Comparison of outcomes in patients undergoing defibrillation threshold testing at the time of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implantation versus no defibrillation threshold testing. Cardiology Journal 2007, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 463-469.
- Navaneethan SD, Jeevanantham V, Nigwekar SU. Prevalence and predictors of lack of permanent vascular access in early referrals. Am J Kidney Dis. 2007 Oct;50(4):687.
- Jeevanantham V, Shrivastava R, Nannapaneni S, Khan A, Sengodan M, Nautiyal A, Navaneethan S, Hsi D. Elevated B-type Natriuretic Peptide Level: Use with Caution in Patients with Multiple Co-morbidities and Presenting with Dyspnea. Indian Heart J 2007; 59: 64-68
- Jeevanantham V, Singh N, Izuora K, D'Souza JP, Hsi DH. Correlation of high sensitivity C-reactive protein and calcific aortic valve disease. Mayo Clin Proc. 2007 Feb; 82(2):171-4.
- Bakare M, Shrivastava R, Jeevanantham V, Navaneethan SD. Impact of two different models on influenza and pneumococcal vaccination in hospitalized patients. South Med J. 2007 Feb;100(2):140-4.
- Hall B, Jeevanantham V, Simon R, Filippone J, Vorobiof G, Daubert J. Variation in left atrial transmural wall thickness at sites commonly targeted for ablation of atrial fibrillation. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2006 Nov; 17(2):127-32. Epub 2007 Jan 17.
- Navaneethan SD, Sankarasubbaiyan S, Gross MD, Jeevanantham V, Monk RD. Tacrolimus-associated hypomagnesemia in renal transplant recipients. Transplant Proc. 2006 Jun; 38(5):1320-2.
- Chehab BM, Jeevanantham V, Nagavalli S, Austria E, Shrivastava R, Wiley M, Tadros P, Nath J, Dawn B, Gupta K. Two Methods of Calculating Ankle Brachial Index: Differences in Predicting Periphral Artery Disease Burden. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(13s1):E2127-E2127. Oral Presentation at ACC 2012.
- Jeevanantham, V., Shrivastava, R., Nannapaneni, S., Khan, A., Hsi, D. Correlation of Body Mass Index and BNP in patients presenting with shortness of breath. Accepted for presentation at European Society of Cardiology - Heart Failure at Helsinki, Finland (June 2006). Published as supplement in European Journal of Heart Failure Supplements, Volume 5, Issue 1, 2006, Page 108.
- Sridhar A, Jeevanantham V, Patel DB, Gupta K, Dawn B. Ten year trends in ST elevation myocardial infarction and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction hospitalizations and their outcomes - data from Nationwide Inpatient Sample 2000-2009. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 5: A312
- Jeevanantham, V., Ntim, W., Morgan, T., Hamilton, C., Hoyle, J., Hundley, G. Three-dimensional changes in Left Atrial Volumes and Ejection Fraction during Dobutamine Stress Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. Presented at Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance held in Orlando, FL (Jan 2009). Published in the supplement of Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance; Vol 11, Supplement 1, p 221, 2009.
- Jeevanantham, V., Loke, Y., Singh, S. Bisphosphonates and the risk of Atrial Fibrillation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Presented at Society of General Internal Medicine's 31st annual meeting held at Pittsburg, PA (April 08). Published as supplement in J Gen Intern Med 2008;23(Suppl 2):258.
- Jeevanantham, V., Shrivastava, R., Nannapaneni, S., Khan, A., Hsi, D. Correlation of B-type Natriuretic Peptide and Renal Function in Patients with Multiple Co-Morbidities and Presenting with Shortness of Breath. Presented at Southern Medical Association; Charlotte, NC (Nov 2006). Published as supplement in Southern Medical Journal. 2006; 99 (10): 1045.
- Rajpal, C., Jeevanantham, V., Shrivastava, R. Type-2 diabetes: comprehensive management, cardiovascular risk modification, and impact of race. Presented at Southern Medical Association held at Charlotte, NC (Nov 2006). Published as supplement in Southern Medical Journal. 2006, Volume 99, Issue 9, p 1034-1035.
- Jeevanantham, V., Pinto, I., Navaneethan, S., Parameswaran, G.I. Do Women Differ in Correlation of Response to Nitroglycerin and Coronary Artery Disease. Presented at Southern Medical Association's 100th Annual Scientific Assembly held at Charlotte, NC (Oct 06). Published in the supplement of Southern Medical Journal, Volume 99, Number 10, 2006.
- Jeevanantham, V., Manne, K., Haley, J., Mathew, P.K., Hsi, D. Prevalence and Predictors of Coronary Artery Disease in Patients with Left Bundle Branch Block. Presented at American Society of Nuclear Cardiology; Quebec, Canada (Sep 2006). Published as supplement in Journal of Nuclear Cardiology, Volume: 13, Pages: 4; S27.
- Manne, K., Jeevanantham, V., Haley, J., Mathew, P.K., Hsi, D. Gender Differences of ETT-SPECT in evaluation of Myocardial Ischemia in 538 patients. Presented at American Society of Nuclear Cardiology's Annual meet held at Quebec, Canada (Sep 2006). Published as supplement in Journal of Nuclear Cardiology, Volume: 13, Pages: 4; S26.
- Shrivastava, R., Jeevanantham, V., Berk, B. Do Women with Suspected Heart Failure Need a Different Cut-off Value of Brain Natriuretic Peptide? Presented at American Heart Association; Dallas, TX (Nov 2005). Published as supplement in Circulation 111(4): E72, P119 February 1, 2005.
- Osowo, A., Jeevanantham, V, Kothari T. Donor risk index and the risk of recurrent hepatitis C post liver transplantation. Presented in the American Transplant congress meeting in Toronto, Canada (June 2008). Published as supplement in Am J Transplant 2008;8(Suppl 2):377.
- Aghenta, A., Osowo, A., Jeevanantham, V., Lingutla, D., Kothari, T. Bolus dosing for moderate sedation reduces procedure time during colonoscopy. Presented as poster during Digestive Disease Week held at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA (May 2008). This was published in the supplement of journal 'Gastrointestinal Endoscopy", Volume 67, Issue 5, April 2008, Page AB240.
- Aghenta, A., Osowo, A., Jeevanantham, V., Lingutla, D., Kothari, T. Bolus dosing for moderate sedation reduces procedure time during esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Presented as poster during Digestive Disease Week held at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA (May 2008). Published as a supplement in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Volume 67, Issue 5, April 2008, Page AB240.
- Jatoi, M., Walker, F., Jeevanantham, V., Silva, A., DePetris, G., Rakela, J., Vargas, H. Role of Magnetic Resonance Elastography to Assess Hepatic Fibrosis. Presented at Digestive Disease Week held at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA (May 2008). Published as supplement in Gastroenterology. April 2008 Vol. 134, Issue 4, Pages A-828.
- Osowo, A., Cheruvattath, R., Jeevanatham, V., Gautam, M., Chopra, K., Sharma, V., Kears, J., Corrado, C., Webster, S., Hughes, L., Carey, E., Rakela, J., Vargas, H. E. Screening for esophageal varices in end stage liver disease: utility of esophageal capsule endoscopy. Published as a supplement in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Volume 67, Issue 5, April 2008, Page AB193.
- Aghenta, A., Osowo, A., Jeevanantham, V., Kothari, T. The Effect of Small Bowel Transit Time on the Yield of Video Capsule Endoscopy. Presented at American College of Gastroenterology, Philadelphia, PA (Sep 2007). Published as supplement in American Journal of Gastroenterology. Vol 102; 423; S1157 sept. 2007.
- Osowo, AT., Jeevanantham, V., Kothari, T. Comparison of Outcomes of two protocols of conscious sedation during endoscopy. Presented at Digestive Disease Week held at Los Angels, CA (May 2006). Published as supplement in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2006; Volume 63, Issue 5, Pages AB154-AB154.
- Osowo, AT., Jeevanantham, V., Kothari, T. Ambulatory esophageal pH monitoring: a comparison of two methods of pH capsule placement. Presented at American College of Gastroenterology's annual meet held at Hawaii (Nov 2005). Published as supplement in The American Journal of Gastroenterology (2005) 100, S23-S52
- Osowo, AT., Jeevanantham, V., Kothari, T. Interferon and Ribavirin Combination Therapy in Chronic Hepatitis C: Predictors of Sustained Viral Response. Presented at American College of Gastroenterology; Honolulu, HI (Nov 2005). Published as supplement in American Journal of Gastroenterology: Volume 100 Issue s9 Page S103 - September 2005.
- Jeevanantham, V., Shapira, NA., Mann, GD., Ferguson, M., Frost-Pineda, K., Gold, MS. Can Substance Abuse predict gambling Behavior? Presented at Society of Biological Psychiatry; New York, NY (May 2004). Published as supplement in Biol Psychiatry 2004; 55: 1S-242S.
Oct 28, 2013