Ammar Habib, MD
3rd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City MO
Residency: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Research interests: Outcomes research, anticoagulation, interventional cardiology
- Habib A, Al-Omari MA, Khaleghi M, Morgenthaler NG, Struck J, Bergmann A, Mosley TH, Kullo IJ. Plasma C-Terminal Pro-Endothelin-1 is Associated with Target Organ Damage in African Americans with Hypertension. American Journal of Hypertension. 2010 Nov; 23(11):1204-8.
- Habib A, Lachman N, Christensen KN, Asirvatham, SJ. The anatomy of the coronary sinus venous system for the cardiac electrophysiologist. Europace. 2009; 11:v15-21.
- Lachman N, Syed FF, Habib A, Kapa S, Bisco SE, Venkatachalam KL, Asirvatham SJ. Correlative anatomy of the electrophysiologist, part I: the pericardial space, oblique sinus, transverse sinus. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2010 Dec; 21(12): 1421-6.
- Lachman N, Syed FF, Habib A, Kapa S, Bisco SE, Venkatachalam KL, Asirvatham SJ. Correlative anatomy of the electrophysiologist, part II: cardiac ganglia, phrenic nerve, coronary venous system. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2011 Jan, 22(1):104-10.
- Habib A, Friedman PA, Cooper LT, Suleiman M, Asirvatham SJ. Cardiac calcified amorphous tumor in a patient presenting for ventricular tachycardia ablation: intracardiac echocardiogram diagnosis and management. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology. 2009 July.
- Arnold PM, Habib A, Newell K, Anderson KK. Esthesioneuroblastoma metastatic to the thoracic intradural and extradural space: case report. Spine J. 2009 May; 9(5):e1-5.
- Habib A, Gard J, Buescher T, Asirvatham, SJ: Supraventricular Tachycardia, in Irwin and Rippe's Intensive Care Medicine 7th edition. Philadelphia, Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
- Gard J, Habib A, Buescher T, Asirvatham SJ: Supraventricular Tachycardia, in Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Board Review 4th edition. Informa Healthcare, 2011.
- Habib A, Buchanan D, Reid K, Spertus J. The Association between Patient Cardiac RiskFactors and Referral Practices to Cardiac Rehabilitation. Presented November 10, 2008 in New Orleans, LA at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions Conference.
- Habib A, Al-Omari MA, Khaleghi M, Morgenthaler NG, Struck J, Bergmann A, Mosley TH, Kullo IJ. Plasma Levels of C-Terminal Pro–Endothelin-1 are Associated with Target-Organ Damage in Adults with Hypertension. Presented May 9, 2009 in San Francisco, CA at the American Society of Hypertension Scientific Sessions Conference.
- Habib A, Le KY, Baddour LM, Irfan M, Lohse M, Friedman PA, Hayes DL, Uslan DZ, Wilson WR, Steckelberg JM, Sohail MR. Impact of Prior Aspirin Use on Clinical and Echocardiographic Features of Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Device Infection. Presented May 6, 2011 in San Francisco, CA at the Heart Rhythm Society Scientific Sessions Conference.
- Habib A, Le KY, Baddour LM, Irfan M, Lohse M, Friedman PA, Hayes DL, Uslan DZ, Wilson WR, Steckelberg JM, Sohail MR. Imact of Statin Use on Clinical Manifestations and Echocardiographic Features of Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Device Infections. Presented October 21, 2011 in Boston, MA at the Infectious Disease Society of North America Scientific Sessions Conference.
- Habib A, Le KY, Lohse M, Friedman PA, Hayes DL, Wilson WR, Steckelberg JM, Baddour LM, Sohail MR. Clinical Predictors of Short- and Long-term Mortality among Patients with Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Device Infection. Presented November 16, 2011 in Orlando, FL at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions Conference.
Suresh Sharma, MD
3rd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Medical College, Baroda, India
Residency: Mount Sinai School of Medicine / Queens Hospital Center, New York, NY
Research interests: Intracoronary imaging and outcomes, Acute coronary syndrome and antiplatelet & antithrombiotic therapy, Secondary prevention in vascular disease.
- Sharma S, Dharshan A, Dawn B, Radparvar F. Pulmonary Emboli in Transit. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jan; 28(1): 154. PMID: 22752588.
- Suresh Sharma, Rashmi Thapa, Taylor Myers, Casper Hu, Michael Brimacombe, James L Vacek, Buddhadeb Dawn, and Kamal Gupta. Comparison of Lipid Control in Patients with Coronary versus Peripheral Arterial Disease.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2013;6:A290.
- Stanojevic D, Sharma S, Jeevanantham V, Chehab B, McCullough M, Tadros P, Dawn B, Wiley M. Evaluation of Micro Coronary Edge Dissection and Coronary Artery Plaque Prolapse Post Coronary Artery Percutaneous Intervention using Optical Coherence Tomography.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(10_S): doi:10.1016/S0735- 1097(13)61875-6.
- Reddy M, Vallakati A, Janga P, Sharma S, Pillai A, Dendi R, Emert M, Berenbom L, Pimentel RL, Lakkireddy DJ. Externalization of Conductor Cables in QuickSite and QuickFlex Left Ventricular Leads J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(10_S): doi:10.1016/S0735-1097(13)60247-8.
- Stanojevic D, Sharma S, Jeevanantham V, Chehab B, McCullough M, Dawn B, Gupta K, Tadros P, Wiley M. (2013), Cathet. Clinical significance of Micro Coronary Edge Dissection and Plaque Prolapse visualized with Optical Coherence Tomography post Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Cardiovasc. Intervent., 81: S88-S89. doi: 10.1002/ccd.24919.
- Madhu Reddy, Hemant Boolani, Suresh Sharma, Namratha Reddy, Donita Atkins, James Vacek, Jayant Nath, Kamal Gupta, Buddhadeb Dawn, Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy. Incidence, Predictors and Clinical Course of Atrial Tachyarrhythmias in Patients with Pulmonary Hypertension. Circulation. 2012;126:A17933.
- Cardinal L, Shankar U, Sharma S, Masood WM. Systematic Review and Synthesis:Proton Pump Inhibitor Exposure Duration and Association with Hip Fracture. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2010 Oct; 105(S1): s27-s28.
Dhssraj Singh, MD
3rd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: National University of Ireland – Royal College of Surgeons / Penang Medical College
Residency: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland OH
Research interests: Heart failure, aortic stenosis, non-invasive imaging
- Aksoy O, Yousefzai R, Singh D, et al. Cardiogenic shock in the setting of severe aortic stenosis: role of intra-aortic balloon pump support. Heart. 2011;97(10):838-843.
- Dupont M, Shrestha K, Singh D, et al. Lack of significant renal tubular injury despite acute kidney injury in acute decompensated heart failure. European journal of heart failure. 2012;14(6):597-604.
- Kumbhani DJ, Shishehbor MH, Willis JM, Karim S, Singh D, et al. Influence of Gender on Long-Term Mortality in Patients Presenting With Non-ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. The American journal of cardiology. 2012;109(8):1087-1091.
- Reddy Y, Singh D, Chikkam V, et al. Postprocedural neuropathy after atrial fibrillation ablation. Journal of interventional cardiac electrophysiology: an international journal of arrhythmias and pacing. 2012.
- Shrestha K, Shao Z, Singh D, Dupont M, Tang W. Relation of systemic and urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin levels to different aspects of impaired renal function in patients with acute decompensated heart failure. The American journal of cardiology. 2012.
- Aksoy O, Cam A, Agarwal S, Ige M, Yousefzai R, Singh D, et al. Significance of Aortic Valve Calcification in Patients With Low-Gradient Low-Flow Aortic Stenosis. Clinical cardiology. 2013.
- Dupont M, Shrestha K, Singh D, Finucan M, Tang W. Lack of Concordance in Defining Worsening Renal Function by Rise in Creatinine vs Rise in Cystatin C. Congestive Heart Failure. 2013.
- Reddy YM, Singh D, Nagarajan D, et al. Atrial fibrillation ablation in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease or irritable bowel syndrome-the heart to gut connection! Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology. 2013:1-7.
- Verbrugge FH, Dupont M, Shao Z, Shrestha K, Singh D, et al. Novel Urinary Biomarkers in Detecting Acute Kidney Injury, Persistent Renal Impairment, and All-Cause Mortality Following Decongestive Therapy in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Journal of cardiac failure. 2013;19(9):621-628.
- Singh D, Gupta K, Vacek JL. Anticoagulation and Antiplatelets in Acute Coronary Syndromes. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. Accepted for publication August 2013.
- Singh D, Shrestha K, Tang W. Spot Measurement of Urine Sodium as an Index of Natriuretic and Diuretic Response to Intravenous Furosemide Infusion in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Journal of cardiac failure. 2010;16(8):S18.
- To AC, Singh D, Agler D, Bhargava M, Saliba WI, Klein AL. Deterioration in Left Atrial Strain After Repeated Pulmonary Vein Isolation for Atrial Fibrillation - A Two-Dimensional Speckle Tracking Study. Circulation. 2010;122(21 Supplement):A18816.
- Dupont M, Shresta K, Singh D, et al. Urinary NGAL Predicts Worsening Renal Function in Patients with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure in Both Preserved and Impaired Glomerular Filtration Rate. Circulation. 2011;124(21 Supplement):A14538.
- Shrestha K, Singh D, Dupont M, Tang W. Systemic and Urinary Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin (NGAL) Levels Reflect Different Aspects of Renal Impairment in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Journal of cardiac failure. 2011;17(8):S30.
- Singh D, Shrestha K, Tang WHW. Insufficient natriuretic response to furosemide predicts worsening renal function in acute decompensated heart failure independent of baseline renal function. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2011;57(14s1):E217-E217.
- Dupont M, Finucan M, Shrestha K, Singh D, Tang W. Lack of Concordance between Worsening Renal Function Defined by Rise in Creatinine Versus Rise in Cystatin C. Journal of cardiac failure. 2012;18(8):S27-S28.
- Dupont M, Shrestha K, Singh D, et al. Stable Plasma Myeloperoxidase Levels during Treatment of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure Despite Decongestion and a Decrease in B-Type Natriuretic Peptide. Journal of cardiac failure. 2012;18(8):S28-S29.
- Dupont M, Shrestha K, Singh D, Finucan M, Tang W. Admission Values of Urinary Neutrophil Gelatinase-Associated Lipocalin, Kidney Injury Molecule-1 and Interleukin-18 Do Not Predict Worsening Renal Function. Journal of cardiac failure. 2012;18(8):S28.
- Verbrugge FH, Dupont M, Shao Z, Shrestha K, Singh D et al. Novel Urinary Biomarkers in Detecting Worsening Renal Impairment and Mortality Following Decongestive Therapy in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Journal of cardiac failure. 2013;19(8 Supplement).
Dusan Stanojevic, MD
3rd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
Residency: Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
Research interests: Heart failure, cardiac resynchronization therapy, anthracycline-induced cardiomyopathy
Stanojevic DA, Alla VM, Lynch JD, Hunter CB. Case of reverse takotsubo cardiomyopathy in status asthmaticus. South Med J. 2010 Sep;103(9):964.
Rashmi Thapa MD
3rd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Residency: University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
Research interests: Heart failure, non-invasive cardiac imaging
- Harris LJ, Thapa R, Brown M, Pabbathi S, Childress RD, Heimberg M, Braden R, Elam MB. Clinical and laboratory phenotype of patients experiencing statin intolerance attributable to myalgia. J Clin Lipidol. 2011 Jul-Aug;5(4):299-307
Rizwan Afzal, MD
2nd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: King Edward Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
Residency: Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
Research interests: Cell therapy for cardiac regeneration, Interventional cardiology
- Jeevanantham V, Afzal MR, Zuba-Surma EK, Dawn B .Clinical trials of cardiac repair with adult bone marrow- derived cells.Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1036:179-205. doi: 10.1007/978-1-62703-511-8_15.
- Afzal MR, Wilson JH. Images in clinical medicine. Lung herniation after cardiac surgery.N Engl J Med. 2013 Jun 20;368(25):e35. doi: 10.1056/NEJMicm1204602.
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Ahmed RP, Ashraf M. Preconditioning Promotes Survival and Angiomyogenic Potential of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Infarcted Heart via NF-kappaB Signaling. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2010 Mar 15;12(6): 693-702.
- Ahmed RP, Haider KH, Shujia J, Afzal MR, Ashraf M. Sonic Hedgehog gene delivery to the rodent heart promotes angiogenesis via iNOS/netrin-1/PKC pathway. PLoS One. 2010 Jan 5; 5 (1):e8576.
- Goodman M, Koch S, Afzal MR, Butler KL. STAT subtype specificity and ischemic preconditioning in Mice: Is STAT -3 enough? Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010 Dec 3.
- Lai VK, Afzal MR, Ashraf M, Jiang S, Haider HKh. Non-hypoxic stabilization of HIF-Iα during coordinated interaction between Akt and angiopoietin-1 enhances endothelial commitment of bone marrow stem cells. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012 Jun;90(6):719-30.
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Ahmed RP, Jiang S, Ashraf M. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Co-overexpressing Akt and Ang-1 Enhance Angiogenesis via Synergistic Expression of HIF-1α Dependent Angiogenic Factors. Circulation, Nov 2009; 120: S_836.
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Ahmed RP, Ashraf M. The Canonical Activation of NF-kB Is Responsible for Secretion of Cardioprotective Paracrine Factors from Preconditioned Stem Cells. Circulation, Oct 2008; 118: S_491
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Ashraf M. Coordinated Interaction between Survival Signaling and Angio-Competent Molecules Enhances Donor Cell Survival and Angiogenesis in the Infarcted Heart. Circulation, Oct 2008; 118: S_396S_397.
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Ashraf M. Preconditioning Promotes Survival and Proliferation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Infarcted Rat Heart Via Activation of NF- B Downstream of PI3K/Akt Signaling. Circulation, Oct 2007; 116:II_68.
- Ahmed RP, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Afzal MR, Ashraf M. Sonic Hedgehog Gene Transfer Promotes Angiogenesis and Myocardial Regional Blood Flow via PKC Dependent Netrin Expression. Circulation, Oct 2008; 118:S_320.
- Afzal MR, Haider HKh, Idris NM, Jiang S, Rahman S, Ashraf M. Augmented myocyte protection and proliferation in the infarcted heart following treatment with cell lysate from pharmacologically preconditioned mesenchymal cell. The FASEB Journal.2008;22:1130.6.
- Afzal MR, Pack R. Resolution of Persistent Pulse less Electrical Activity (PEA) with Thrombolytic Therapy in a Patient with Massive Pulmonary Embolism. Critical Care Medicine: December 2011 - Volume 39 - Issue 12 - p 259
- Afzal MR, Tahir Sajjad. Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, USA. Fatal Hypermagnesemia Resulting from Therapeutic Doses of Over the Counter Magnesium Containing Laxatives and Antacids: Am J Kidney Dis May, 2012; 57(4); B18
- Afzal MR, Samaha A. Complete Remission of Proteinuria with Cellcept and Cyclosporne in Non-HIV Collpsing Glomerulopathy. Am J Kidney Dis April, 2011; 57(4); B18
- Imam N, Ahmed M, Afzal MR, Grove S, Samaha A. Tuberous Sclerosis Presenting as End Stage Renal Disease. Am J Kidney Dis April, 2011; 57(4); B49
- Afzal MR, Samaha A. Idiopathic Nodular Glomerulosclerosis Along with Proliferative Retinopathy and Sensorimotor Neuropathy in a Non-Diabetic, Non-Hypertensive Reformed Smoker. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Volume 57, Issue 4 , Page B18.
- Goodman M, Koch S, Afzal MR, Butler KL. Compensatory STAT Subtype Activation does not Limit Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Mice with Cardiac Restricted STAT-3 Deletion. Journal of Surgical Research. February 2009 (Vol. 151, Issue 2, Pages 229-230)
- Kakumanu U, Afzal MR. Maythurner Syndrome: Underrecognized variant. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2012;7 Suppl 2 :490
- Kakumanu U, Afzal MR: Metastatic Melanoma Misdiagnosis as Hemorrhoids. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2012;7 Suppl 2 :488
- Afzal MR, Castaneros L, Wilson JH. A Patient with hyperthyroidism presenting with vasovagal syncope. American College of physicians Ohio Chapter September 30, 2010 Columbus Ohio
- Kakumanu U, Afzal MR. Orbital apex tumor in a patient with early stage follicular lymphoma. American College of physicians Ohio Chapter September 30, 2010 Columbus Ohio
- Afzal MR, Kakumanu U, Cranley JP. Pyogenic granuloma in the jejunum detected by Capsule Endoscopy and treated with Double Balloon Endoscopy. A case report and review of literature. American College of Gastroenterology, Oct 30 - Nov 1, 2011, Washington D.C.
- Afzal MR, Wilson JH. Brugada-like EKG Pattern as Herald of Sino-Ventricular Rhythm in Severe Hyperkalemia. American College of physicians Ohio Chapter September 16, 2011 Columbus Ohio
Kashyap Choksi, MD, PhD
2nd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Residency: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Research interests: Coronary atherosclerosis, Heart failure, Cardiac aging
- Choksi KB, Nuss JE, DeFord JH, Papaconstantinou J. Mitochondrial electron transport chain functions in long-lived Ames dwarf mice, Aging, 3(8): 754-67. August 2011
- Choksi KB, Nuss JE, DeFord JH, Papaconstantinou J. Age-related alterations in oxidatively damaged proteins of mouse skeletal muscle mitochondrial electron transport chain complexes, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 45(6): 826-838. September 2008
- Choksi KB, Papaconstantinou J. Age-related alterations in oxidatively damaged proteins of mouse heart mitochondrial electron transport chain complexes, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 44(10): 1795-805. May 2008
- Nuss JE, Choksi KB, DeFord JH, Papaconstantinou J. Decreased enzyme activities of chaperones PDI and BiP in aged mouse livers, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 365(2): 355-361. January 2008
- Choksi KB, Roberts II LJ, DeFord JH, Rabek JP, Papaconstantinou J. Lower Levels of F2-Isoprostanes in Serum and Livers of Long-Lived Ames Dwarf Mice, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 364(4): 761-764. December 2007
- Choksi KB, Nuss JE, Boylston WH, Rabek JP, Papaconstantinou J. Age-related increases in oxidatively damaged proteins of mouse kidney mitochondrial electron transport chain complexes, Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 43(10): 1423-1438. November 2007
- Choksi KB, Boylston WH, Rabek JP, Widger WR, Papaconstantinou J. Oxidatively damaged proteins of heart mitochondrial electron transport complexes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular Basis of Disease. 1688(2): 95-101. March 2004
- Johnson JE, Choksi KB, Widger W.R. NADH-Ubiquinone oxidoreductase: substrate-dependent oxygen turnover to superoxide anion as a function of flavin mononucleotide. Mitochondrion, 3(2): 97-110. October 2003
Ryan Maybrook, MD
2nd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
Residency: Atlantic City Medical Center, Atlantic City, NJ
Research interests:Evaluation of predictors of diastolic dysfunction on echocardiography
- Maybrook RJ, Reinig M, Dib H. A Yellow Not So Mellow: Hemolysis Secondary to Paravalvular Leak Following Mitral Valve Repair in a Patient With Coinciding Recent Aortic Valve Replacement. National ACP abstract 2011 (Pending publication).
Arun Sridhar, MD
2nd Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Gandhi Medical College, Secunderabad
Graduate School: MPH in Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Residency: Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center Washington, DC
Research Interests:Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology, Cardiovascular epidemiology and Outcomes research
AWARDS AND HONORS
Branislav Radovancevic Memorial Best Paper Award, International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 2012 Annual Meeting, Prague, Czech Republic.
Fellow Research Oral Presentation, 2ND Place 2013 Resident, Postdoc and Fellow Research Day, University of Kansas Medical Center, KS.
Fellow in Training Abstract Oral Presentations, 2012 American College of Cardiology Missouri and Kansas Chapter Meeting
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles / Abstracts
- Mahankali Sridhar A, Madhu Reddy, Sravanthi Parasa, Pramod Janga, Ajay Vallakati, Loren Berenbom, Buddhadeb Dawn, Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy. Trends of Lead Extractions for Cardiac Implanted Device Related Infections: Results from Nationwide Inpatient Sample for years 2003 to 2009.Heart Rhythm, 2013;10(5):S67-68.
- Mahankali Sridhar AR, Parasa S , Hillegass. W.B, and Pranjat. G. "Trends in Utilization and Costs of Left Ventricular Assist Device Therapy for Advanced Heart Failure in US-Results from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample 2005-2008." Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 31, no. 4 Supplement (2012).
- Parasa S, Navaneethan U, Mahankali Sridhar AR, Venkatesh PG, Olden K. End-stage renal disease is associated with worse outcomes in hospitalized patients with peptic ulcer bleeding. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Apr;77(4):609-16. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2012.11.014. Epub 2013 Jan 26.
- Reddy, Madhu, Mahankali Sridhar AR, Ajay Vallakati, Dhanunjaya Lakkireddy, and Buddhadeb Dawn. "GENDER DIFFERENCES IN THE UTILIZATION OF THE TYPE OF CARDIAC RESYNCHRONIZATION THERAPY: DATA FROM THE NATIONWIDE INPATIENT SAMPLE 2003-2009." Journal of the American College of Cardiology 61, no. 10_S (2013).
- Mahankali Sridhar AR,Vinodh Jeevanantham2; Dhavalkumar B Patel1; Kamal Gupta2 and Buddhadeb Dawn.Ten-year-trends In ST-elevation And Non-ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction Hospitalizations And Outcomes In The Us: Analysis Of Data From The Nationwide In-patient Sample 2000-2009. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes.2012; 5: A312
- Mahankali Sridhar AR, Willett LL, Castiglioni A, Heudebert G, Landry M, Centor RM, Estrada CA. Scholarship Opportunities for Trainees and Clinician Educators: Learning Outcomes from a Case Report Writing Workshop. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 March; 24(3): 398-401. Published online 2008 December 18. doi: 10.1007/s11606-008-0873-9
- Parasa, Sravanthi, Mahankali Sridhar, AR, and Kevin Olden. " A Study of Trends in Diagnosis, Outcomes and Costs of Hepatorenal Syndrome in End-Stage Liver Disease Patients-Results From Nationwide Inpatient Database 2000-2009." Gastroenterology 142.5 (2012): S-948.
- Parasa, Sravanthi, Mahankali Sridhar AR, and Kevin Olden. "Tu1503 Risk Factors for Development of Pancreatic Pseudocysts-a Population Based Study." Gastroenterology 142.5 (2012): S-851.
- Mahankali Sridhar AR, Sravanthi Parasa, Udayakumar Navaneethan, Kevin Olden Comprehensive study of Cardiovascular Morbidity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2011 August; 5(4): 287-294. Published online 2011 March 10. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2011.01.011
- Parasa S, Mahankali Sridhar AR, Olden K. Impact of End Stage Renal Disease on Peptic Ulcer Disease Bleeding Outcomes. Gastroenterology Vol. 140, Issue 5, Supplement 1, Page S-46.Presented at Digestive Disease, May 2011
- Mahankali Sridhar AR, Misra VK, Taylor SM, Dorfman TA, Bartolucci AA, Brott BC, Hillegass WB. Expected Outcomes of Superficial Femoral Artery Endovascular Interventions: A Meta-Analysis. Circulation. 2009 Nov; 120(18S): S956.
- Mahankali Sridhar AR, Mizrahi I, Najjar SS, Hanny-Gilbert C, Shoham S. Epidemiological and Microbiological Features of Ventricular Assist Device Associated Infections. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2010 Aug; 16(8S): S115.
- Tanikella R, Mahankali Sridhar AR, Mohd MO, Kandavalli NB, Fowler KB. Does Gender Influence C-Reactive Protein Concentration Among US Children and Young Adults? Results From the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2006. Circulation. 2009 Nov; 120(18S): S454.
Chris Balwanz, MD
1st Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Residency: University of California - Davis, Sacramento, CA
Research Interests: peripheral vascular disease, structural heart disease, cardio-oncology
- Wei P, Grimm PR, Settles DC, Balwanz CR, Padanilam BJ, Sansom SC. Simvastatin reverses podocyte injury but not mesangial expansion in early stage type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ren Fail. 2009;31(6):503-13.
- Balwanz CR, Javed U, Singh GD, Armstrong EJ, Southard JA, Wong GB, Yeo KK, Low RI, Laird JR Jr, Rogers JH. Transradial and transfemoral coronary angiography and interventions: 1-year outcomes after initiating the transradial approach in a cardiology training program. Am Heart J. 2013 Mar;165(3):310-6.
- Javed U, Balwanz CR, Armstrong EJ, Yeo KK, Singh GD, Singh S, Anderson D, Westin GG, Pevec WC, Laird JR. Mid-Term Outcomes Following Endovascular Re-Intervention for Iliac Artery In-Stent Restenosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print].
- Javed U, Balwanz CR, Armstrong EJ, Yeo KK, Singh S, McCoach C, Anderson D, Westin G, Laird JR. Procedural and Clinical Outcomes After Endovascular Intervention for Femoral-Tibial Graft Stenosis. Presented at TCT Oct 2012. Copyright 2012, American College of Cardiology Foundation. All Rights Reserved. More Author Information Abstract in J Am Coll Cardiol. October 23, 2012,60(17_S). Manuscript in process.
1st year Cardiology Fellow
Med School: University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Residency: University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Research Interests: Applications of advanced cardiac imaging, role of inflammation in coronary artery disease.
- Kvapil, J, Erickson, C. Decreasing the Incidence of Atrial Lead Dislodgement: The Triple Test Maneuver. University of Nebraska Medical Center Medical Student Summer Research program. Unpublished.
- Kvapil, J, Shivaswamy, V, Talmon, G. A Fortuitously Discovered Adrenal Incidentaloma. Presented at American College of Physicians Nebraska Chapter Scientific Meeting. (October 2012).
1st Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Government Medical College, Srinagar India
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow: Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University Medical Center. Columbus, Ohio
Residency: State University of New York at Buffalo (Catholic Health System). Buffalo, New York.
Research Interests: Cardiovascular Imaging, Heart Failure, Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Heart Failure and Atherosclerosis
- Shah Z, Kampfrath T, Deiuliis JA, Zhong J, Pineda C, Ying Z, Xu X, Lu B, Moffatt-Bruce S, Durairaj R, Sun Q, Mihai G, Maiseyeu A, Rajagopalan S.Long-Term Dipeptidyl-Peptidase 4 Inhibition Reduces Atherosclerosis and Inflammation via Effects on Monocyte Recruitment and Chemotaxis.Circulation 2011October17;124:2338-2349.
- Shah Z, Pineda C, Kampfrath T, Maiseyeu A, Ying Z, Racoma I, Deiuliis J, Xu X, Sun Q, Moffatt-Bruce S, Villamena F, Rajagopalan S.Acute DPP-4 inhibition modulates vascular tone through GLP-1 independent pathways.Vascular Pharmacology. 2011 Jul-Sep; 55(1-3):2-9.
- Deiuliis J, Shah Z, Shah N, Needleman B, Mikami D, Narula V, Perry K, Hazey J, Kampfrath T, Kollengode M, Sun Q, Satoskar AR, Lumeng C, Moffatt-Bruce S, Rajagopalan S.Visceral adipose inflammation in obesity is associated with critical alterations in tregulatory cell numbers.PLoS One. 2011 Jan 26;6(1):e16376.
- Kampfrath T, Maiseyeu A, Ying Z, Shah Z, Deiuliis JA, Xu X, Kherada N, Brook RD, Reddy KM, Padture NP, Parthasarathy S, Chen LC, Moffatt-Bruce S, Sun Q, Morawietz H, Rajagopalan S.Chronic fine particulate matter exposure induces systemic vascular dysfunction via NADPH oxidase and TLR4 pathways.Circulation Research. 2011 Mar 18;108(6):716-26.
- Arafa el-SA, Zhu Q, Shah ZI, Wani G, Barakat BM, Racoma I, El-Mahdy MA, Wani AA.Thymoquinone up-regulates PTEN expression and induces apoptosis in doxorubicin-resistant human breast cancer cells.Mutation Research 2011 Jan 10;706(1-2):28-35
Selected Abstracts and Short Entries:
- Zubair Shah, Thomas Kampfrath, Jeffrey Deiuliis, Andrei Maiseyeu, Colleen Pineda, Zhekang Ying, Rekha Durairaj, Xiaohua Xu, Qinghua Sun, Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, November). DPP-4 Inhibition Reduces Atherosclerosis in LDLR(-) Mice Through Pleiptropic Effects on Blood Pressure and Modulation of Immune Function. Circulation 2010; 122: A21648.
- Zubair Shah, Thomas Kampfrath, Jeffrey Deiuliis, Andrei Maiseyeu, Colleen Pineda, Zhekang Ying, Rekha Durairaj, Xiaohua Xu, Qinghua Sun, Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, November). DPP-4 Inhibition Improves Adipose Inflammation and Insulin Resistance via GLP-1 Independent Mechanisms. Mice Through Pleiptropic Effects on Blood Pressure and Modulation of Immune Function. Circulation 2010; 122: A21652.
- Thomas Kampfrath, Zhekang Ying, Andrei Maiseyeu, Zubair Shah, Jeffrey A. Deiuliis, Henning Morawietz, Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, November). Chronic Fine Particulate Matter Exposure Induces Systemic Vascular Dysfunction via NADPH Oxidase and TLR4 Pathways. Circulation 2010; 122: A21645.
- Andrei Maiseyeu; Marcus A. Badgeley; Zubair Shah, Georgeta Mihai; et al. November, 2010. Rosiglitazone-Loaded Theranostic Nanolatexes for Simultaneous Inflammation Imaging and Therapy. The Best of AHA Specialty Conferences AHA Scientific Sessions. Circulation 122: A36382.
- Zubair Shah, Colleen Pineda, Zhekang Ying, Thomas Kampfrath, Jeffrey Deiuliis, Nilay Shah, Qinghua Sun, Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, June). Acute DPP IV Inhibition Induces Vascular Relaxation via GLP-1 Independent Pathways. Diabetes 142: D3290.
- Jeffrey Deiuliis, Zubair Shah, Thomas Kampfrath, Qinghua Sun, Sanjay Rajagopalan. Lipoic Acid Attenuates Innate Immune Infiltration And Activation In The Visceral Adipose Of Obese, Insulin Resistant Mice. Diabetes 142:D1622.
- Jeffrey Deiuliis, Zubair Shah, Vimal Narula, Kyle Perry, Jeffrey Hazey, Dean Mikami, Bradley Needleman, and Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, April). Macrophage infiltration of omental adipose correlates to indices of insulin resistance in a bariatric population. Diabetes 142:D1071.
- Jeffrey Deiuliis, Zubair Shah, Susan Moffatt-Bruce, Gregg Hadley, Qinghua Sun, and Sanjay Rajagopalan (2010, June). Diet-induced obesity alters innate and adaptive immune cells of the visceral adipose in a mouse model of insulin resistance Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology.(ATVB) (April 2010).
- Kurozumi Kazuhiko, Hardcastle Jayson, Shah Zubair, Kaur Balveen, Chioca E Antonio. (2007, April). Identification of cyr61 as a biomarker for oncolytic therapy of tumors. Journal of American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) (March 2008).
- Zubair Shah, M Mohammed, R Hanna, Philip Rados, Patrick Siaw. Aspirin in Stroke and Coronary Artery Disease Prevention in Primary Care: Does a Gender Bias Exist? Poster Awarded 3rd Place at Annual Austin Flint and John O'Brien Research Symposium. Buffalo, New York (June 2012).
- Zubair Shah, Sara Mahmood, Joseph M. Anain Jr, Khalid J. Qazi, Michael Hocko. An Evidence-Based Clinical Prediciton Tool to Identify High Vancomycin MIC Among Patients with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection of Lower Extremities. Poster Awarded 1st Place at Annual Austin Flint and John O'Brien Research Symposium. Buffalo, New York (June 2013).
1st Year Cardiology Fellow
Medical School: Palacky University, Czech Republic
Residency: Cone health. Teaching Hospital of the University of North Carolina, NC
Research Interests: Interventional cardiology, Outcomes research, Post procedural wound infections.
- Martin Šimek, Martin Molitor, Martin Kaláb, Patrick Tobbia and Vladimír Lonsky, Chapter 27. Current Challenges in the Treatment of Deep Sternal Wound Infection Following Cardiac Surgery."Artery Bypass", book edited by Wilbert S. Aronow, ISBN 978-953-51-1025-5, Published: March 13, 2013
- Tobbia P, Brodie BR, Stuckey T, Witzenbichler B, Metzger C, Guagliumi G, Kellett MA, Fahy M, Mehran R, Stone GW. Adverse Event Rates Following Primary PCI for STEMI at US and Non-US Hospitals: Three-Year Analysis from the HORIZONS-AMI Trial. EuroIntervention. 2013 Feb 22;8(10):1134-42.
- Brodie BR, Hansen C, Browning JA, Garberich RF, Tobbia P, Handran CB, Burke N, Kadakia H, Stuckey T, Henry TD. ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction due to Stent Thrombosis: An Enlarging Subgroup of High Risk Patients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 Nov 6;60(19):1989-91.
- Tobbia P, Norris LA, Karimova N. Klatskin Tumor Presenting as Acute Onset Generalized Pruritus: A Case Report. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Aug 8;2012. doi:pii: bcr2012006482.10.1136/bcr-2012-006482.
- Tobbia P, Norris LA, Klima L. Ventricular Fibrillation Coinciding with Phentermine Initiation: A Case Report. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Oct 12;2012. doi:pii: bcr2012006410. 10.1136/bcr-2012-006410.
- Tobbia P, Brodie BR, Stuckey T, McLaurin BT, Cox DA, Fahy M, Xu K, Mehran R, Stone GW. Are Adverse Events Following an Invasive Strategy in Patients with Non ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes More Frequent at US Sites versus Non-US Sites? Analysis from the ACUITY Trial. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012 Jun; Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012 Aug 6. doi: 10.1002/ccd.24587.
- Šimek M, Marcian P, Gwozdziewicz M, Fluger I, Tobbia P, Lonsky V. Endoscopic Radial Artery Harvesting for Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting: A Single Center Evolving Experience. Biomed Pap. 2012 May; 2012(156): 1-6.
- Šimek M, Hajek R, Fluger I, Molitor M, Grulichova J, Langova K, Tobbia P, Nemec P, Zalesak B, Lonsky V. Superiority of Topical Negative Pressure over Closed Irrigation Therapy of Deep Sternal Wound Infection in Cardiac Surgery. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2012 Feb;53(1): 113-20.
- Tobbia P, Brodie BR, Stuckey T, McLaurin BT, Cox DA, Fahy M, Xu K, Mehran R, Stone GW. Are Adverse Events Following an Invasive Strategy in Patients with Non ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes (NSTEACS) More Frequent at US Sites vs Non-US Sites (OUS)? Analysis from the ACUITY Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Nov; 58(20): B106.
- Tobbia P, Brodie BR, Stuckey T, Witzenbichler B, Metzger C, Guagliumi G, Kellett MA, Fahy M, Mehran R, Stone GW. Are Adverse Events Following Primary PCI for STEMI More Frequent at US Sites than Sites Outside the US (OUS)? Three-Year Analysis from the HORIZONS-AMI Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Nov; 58(20): B9.
- Šimek M, Kaláb M, Molitor M, Hájek R, Grulichová J, Tobbia P, Zálešák B, Lonský V. Topical Negative Pressure in the Treatment of Deep Sternal Infection Following Cardiac Surgery: 5-Year Results of First Line Application Protocol. EWMA Journal. 2011 Feb; 11(2): 38-41.
- Šimek M, Kaláb M, Hájek R, Grulichová J, Molitor M, Tobbia P, Zálešák B, Lonský V. Topical Negative Pressure in the Treatment of Deep Sternal Infection after Cardiac Surgery: 5-Year Results of First Line Application Protocol. EWMA Journal. 2010 May; 10(Supplement): 69.
- Šimek M, Tobbia P, Lonsky V. Do we have Evidence that Topical Negative Pressure is the Treatment Method of Choice for Deep Sternal Wound Infection in Cardiac Surgery?. EWMA Journal. 2010 May; 10(Supplement): 174.