Joseph E. Donnelly, Ed.D.
Professor of Medicine
Director, Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management
BS, Davis and Elkins College, Elkins, WV
MS, Exercise Physiology, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
ED.D, Exercise Physiology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Energy balance
- Child nutrition and fitness
- Obesity and chronic disease risk
- Effect of exercise on weight loss and maintenance
- Physical activity, brain function and academic achievement in children
- Exercise and Alzheimer's disease in the elderly
- Alternative delivery strategies for prevention and treatment of obesity
- Resistance training, energy balance and weight management
- Weight loss and maintenance for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Lecheminant, LD, Smith BK, Westman EC, Vernon MC, Donnelly JE. Comparison of a reduced carbohydrate and reduced fat diet for LDL, HDL, and VLDL subclasses during 9-months of weight maintenance subsequent to weight loss. Lipids in Health and Disease. Lipids Health Dis. 9:54. 2010.
- Bailey BW, Sullivan D, Kirk EP, Donnelly JE. Dietary predictors of visceral adiposity in overweight young adults. Br J Nutr, 26:1-4. 2010.
- Eisenmann JC, Laurson KR, DuBose K, Smith B, Donnelly J. Construct validity of a continuous metabolic syndrome score in children. Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, 2:8. 2010.
- Donnelly JE, Blair SN, Jakicic JM, Manore MM, Rankin JW, Smith BS. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med Sci Sports Exec, 41(2):459-471, 2009.
- Donnelly JE, Greene JL, Gibson CA, Smith BK, Washburn RA, Sullivan DK, Dubose KD, Mayo MS, Schmelzle KH, Ryan JJ, Williams SL, Jacobsen DJ. Physical activity across the curriculum (PAAC): A randomized, controlled trial to diminish overweight and obesity in elementary school children. Prev Med, doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2009.07.022,2009.
- Donnelly JE Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. Physical Activity Advisory Committee Report, U.S Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, 2008.
- Burns J.M., Mayo M.S., Anderson H.S., Smith H.J., Donnelly J.E. Cardiorespiratory fitness in early-stage Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's Disease and Associated Disorders, 22:39-46, 2008.
- Davis A.M., Boles R., James R.L., Sullivan, D.K., Donnelly J.E., Swirczynski D..L, Goetz J. Health behaviors and weight status among urban and rural children. Rural and Remote Health, 8(2):810, 2008.
- Donnelly J.E., Sullivan D.K., Smith BK, Jacobsen DJ,, Washburn RA, Johnson, S.L, Hill. J.O., Mayo. M.S., Spaeth. K.R., Gibson. C. Alteration of dietary fat intake to prevent weight gain: Jayhawk Observed Eating Trial. Obesity (Silver Spring), 16(1):107-12, 2008.
- Honas, J.J., Washburn, R,A,, Smith, B.K., Green, J.L., Donnelly, J.E. The system for observing fitness instruction time (SOFIT) as a measure of energy expenditure during classroom based physical activity. Pediatric Exercise Science, 20(4):439-445, 2008.
- Donnelly JE, Hill, JO, Jacobsen DJ, et al. Effects of a 16-month, randomized, controlled exercise trial on bodyweight and composition in young, overweight men and women: The Midwest Exercise Trial (MET). Archives of Internal Medicine, 163:1343-1350, 2003.
- Donnelly JE, Smith BK. Is Exercise Effective for Weight Loss With Ad Libitum Diet? Energy Balance, Compensation, and Gender Differences. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 33:4, pp. 169-174, 2005
- Donnelly JE, Smith BK, Dunn L, Mayo MS, Jacobsen DJ, Stewart EE, Gibson C, Sullivan DK. Comparison of a phone vs. clinic approach to achieve 10% weight loss. Int J Obes, 31: 1270 - 1276, 2007.
- Donnelly JE. Adequacy of evidence for physical activity guidelines development. Institute of Medicine of The National Academies. The National Academies Press, 59-65, 2007.
- Donnelly JE, Kirk EP, Jacobsen DJ, Hill JO, Sullivan DK, Johnson SL. Effects of 16-months of verified, supervised aerobic exercise on macronutrient intake in overweight men and women: the Midwest Exercise Trial (MET). American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 78:950-956, 2003.
Mar 09, 2012