Dr. Walter P. Blount, July 3, 1900 to May 16, 1992, was a pioneer in the development of the Milwaukee Brace for treatment of scoliosis and the Blount Staple used in treatment of unequal leg length as an alternative to osteotomy. He did extensive work on Erlacher-Blount syndrome, also known as Tibia Vara, and was one of the first surgeons to recognize fractures in children as a possible symptom of abuse.
Born into a family of physicians, Dr Blount continued in the tradition, attending the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine followed by Post Graduate work in London and numerous clinics across Europe. After joining the orthopedic practice of Dr. Frederick Gaenslen in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Dr. Blount became Chief of the Milwaukee Children’s Hospital. Upon Dr. Gaenslen’s retirement, he became Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Marquette University School of Medicine and subsequently formed the Blount Orthopedic Clinic in Milwaukee with Dr. Robert Cassidy. He was active in numerous professional organizations from local to international and was frequently called upon to speak. Fluent in several languages, Dr. Blount also served as a translator for articles to be published in English. He served as president of the Orthopaedic Clinical Society in 1946, and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1955-1956, and as vice president of SICOT, 1963-1966.
The Walter P. Blount collection consists of his published works, articles and books and unpublished lectures, along with the reference material for each work including other author’s publications, statistics, photographs and x-rays, correspondence, and working drafts for each piece. Some are published in several languages, and information regarding the translation is included. Kept in alphabetical subject files, he collected information from other sources on a wide range of maladies such as polio, cerebral palsy and tuberculosis. Also in the collection are patient photographs, x-rays, slides and movies, a collection of photographs and biographies of influential doctors, letters from the Orthopaedic Correspondence Club, professional correspondence, cash books and treatment journals, various memberships and awards, wood cuts, bones, surgical hardware and braces.
An avid traveler and family man, this collection also includes meeting programs, journals, and photographs of his travels, both professional and personal, and family memorabilia consisting of letters, photographs, film, books, and other family history information and memorabilia.