Frederick Holmes, MD, MA
- Professor, Department of the History and Philosophy of Medicine
- Hashinger Distinguished Professor of Medicine Emeritus
Education and Training
- College of Puget Sound, BS in Biology
- University of Washington, MD with thesis honors
- London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, DTM&H diploma
- Malaya Government Officers' Chinese Language School
- University of Kansas Medical Center, residency in Medicine and fellowship in Hematology
- University of Kansas, MA in British History
Research, Teaching and Service
Continuously funded research, total about $6.5 million - mainly in cancer epidemiology - during the period 1973 through 2000, publication of 132 papers, book chapters, and books.
At the end of the communist insurrection in Malaya (now Malaysia) organized and operated a system of medical clinics in the northern part of the country as a medical missionary of the Lutheran Church. Later, once again as a Lutheran medical missionary, served as Chairman of Medicine and Chief of Staff of the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, in Moshi, Tanzania. This large referral hospital has become the medical school of Tumaini University in Tanzania. After the Cold War, with grants and contracts from the U S State Department, reorganized Pediatric Oncology in Hungary and then reorganized the hospital-based medical system of Kyrgyzstan, in Central Asia. Created exchange programs between KUMC and Henan Medical University in China and Otto-Von- Guericke Medical School in Germany, the latter continues to this day.
Editor of the largest and most comprehensive website on WW-I medicine, "Medicine in the First World War" www.kumc.edu/wwi.html.