Thank you for your interest in the Residency and Fellowship Programs at the University of Kansas School of Medicine.
The application to residency and fellowship programs is program-specific. Please contact each program directly regarding their specific application process.
Invitations for interviews are extended to selected candidates by the program selection committee on the basis of residency program-related criteria. Candidates are chosen on the basis of their medical training, general achievements, and personal qualities such as their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. Programs will not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability or any other applicable legally protected status. During the interview, you will generally meet the department Chairman, program director, members of the selection committee, other faculty, and residents in order to assess the personal qualities that are required of a successful resident. Representatives usually will give you a tour of our facilities and offer you plenty of opportunities to have your questions answered.
Policies & Procedures
The University of Kansas Medical School Graduate Medical Education Office provides written policies and procedures for resident recruitment and appointment and monitors each program for compliance. These policies and procedures are found in the Graduate Medical Education Policy and Procedure Manual and apply to all training programs at KUMC. Please review them carefully as they describe the terms, benefits and conditions of resident appointment. Below are helpful links to specific sections of the GME Manual and other resources:
- Available Residency & Fellowship Programs
- Eligibility (section 4.1 of GME Manual)
- Selection (section 4.4 of GME Manual)
- Stipend/Financial Support
- Resident Agreement
- Conditions of Appointment (section 4 of GME Manual)
- vacations (section 5.5.10 of GME Manual)
- leaves of absence (sections 5.5.11 to 5.5.18 of GME Manual)
- call rooms (sections 5.8.3.i of GME Manual)
- meals (sections 5.5.5 of GME Manual)
- Eligibility for Specialty Board Exams Residency Programs (click on your program in the Table of Contents)
- Eligibility for Specialty Board Exams Fellowship Programs (click on your program in the Table of Contents)
- Insurance Provided/State of Kansas Health Insurance Wait Period (section 5.5.1 of GME Manual)
- COBRA (This may be appropriate to review due to State of Kansas Health Insurance wait period)
- Letter to Interview Applicants (includes)
- Kansas State Board of Healing Arts license application questions
- To learn more about living in the greater Kanssa City Area follow this link http://thinkkc.com/with/kansashealthsystem.
The Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) is accepted as a part of our application process. If you are participating in the NRMP, programs will submit their Rank Order List according to the deadlines established by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). If you are eligible for and interested in an available position outside of the Match, a decision on the status of your application will be provided by the program leadership.