Information for Foreign Medical Graduates

The University of Kansas accepts applications from medical graduates outside the U.S. and generally accepts a very small number of FMIG's.

  1. The University of Kansas is unable to sponsor J-1 Visas. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
  2. You must have passed Step 1 and 2 (CK and CS) of the USMLE examinations with no more than 2 attempts overall. We do not have a minimum score criteria. Applicants with higher scores and without multiple attempts are more competitive.
  3. Applicants must have graduated from medical school in the past 4 years.
  4. We cannot interview graduates from medical schools not approved by the state of Kansas because applicants are ineligible for licensure. To find a list of approved schools please go to
  5. Knowledge about and experience in the U.S. healthcare system is considered an attribute in your application.
  6. All applicants must apply through ERAS and have complete and current files.
Last modified: Feb 17, 2014