Information for Foreign Medical Graduates
The University of Kansas accepts applications from medical graduates outside the U.S. and generally accepts a very small number of FMIG's.
- We do not sponsor VISA's. Therefore, we usually only accept J-1 VISA's or Green Cards. Because of the delay in obtaining J-1 VISA's, applicants needing a J-1 may be at a significant disadvantage.
- You must have passed Step 1 and 2 (CK and CS) of the USMLE examinations. We do not have a minimum score criteria but are more likely to interview applicants with higher scores and without multiple attempts.
- We look primarily at applicants who have graduated from medical school in the past 3 years.
- We cannot interview graduates from medical schools not accredited by the state of Kansas because they are ineligible for licensure. To find a list of accredited schools please go to http://www.ksbha.org/medicalschoolsapprovedunapproved.html. For example, we are not able to interview applicants from St. Matthews or from Saba University who matriculated prior to January 1, 2002.
- Knowledge about and experience in the U.S. healthcare system is considered an attribute in your application.
- All applicants must apply through ERAS and have complete and current files.
Jun 28, 2012