Joshua Freeman, MD
KUMC-Professor and Department Chair
Medical School: Loyola-Stritch
Residency: Cook County Hospital, Chicago
Fellowship: Faculty Development, University of Arizona, Tucson
Dr. Freeman serves as Chair of the Department of Family Medicine and Chief of Family Medicine at the University of Kansas Hospital. He serves nationally as the Treasurer of the Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM), and also as Treasurer of Southwest Boulevard Family Health Care. Until June 2009 he served on the Boards of the REACH Healthcare Foundation and Physicians for Reproductive Health and Choice, for which he serves also on the national strategic planning committee and Residency Education Initiative board. He is co-faculty advisor for the JayDoc Student-run Free Clinic, and for the Community Leadership track longitudinal elective. He served as Chair of the Steering Committee for Curricular Change (2003-05), and is an elected member of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Council. He was a Fulbright Scholar in São Paulo, Brazil in 2003, and consults there frequently on establishment of family medicine in that country. In 2007-08, Dr. Freeman completed the joint American Council on Education fellowship to train leaders in higher education and the STFM Foundation Bishop Fellowship. His host institution was the University of New Mexico, where his mentor was Paul Roth, MD, Dean of the Medical School and Executive Vice President for Health Sciences.
- Freeman, J, The American Academy of Family Physicians, Coca-Cola, and Ethics: A "Consumer Alliance" Serving the Public's Health?, Anthropology News, October 2010
- Freeman J, Kelly P, Gonzalez Blasco P, Levites M, "Attitudes about family medicine among Brazilian medical students", O Mundo da Saude, São Paulo, 2010Jul-Sep;34(3):327-35.
- *Freeman J. The Murder of George Tiller - Where is Family Medicine's Response? (editorial). Family Medicine. 2009 Sep;41(8):595-6.
- Dobbie A, Chumley H, Carter D, Freeman J. Integrating Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) into Family Medicine Clerkships: Addressing the Challenges. Education for Health. 2008.
- White Coat Ceremony speaker, Ross University, Dominica, May 14 2010
- "The implications of recent health reform on the health of the public", Social Justice Interest Group, University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, April 15, 2010.
- "The consequences of federal health reform legislation: what just happened?" roundtable, 21st National Conference on Primary Care Health Access, Kauai, HI, April 12, 2010.
- "Transforming Primary care and community health through Healthcare Cooperative Extension Service", American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Multi-state conference, Dallas, Feb 27, 2010.
- "The Country needs a policy on the right to health care" Primary Care Access Conference, Monterey, CA, April 2009.
- "America needs a National Health Plan", Missouri Association for Social Welfare Annual Conference, Columbia, MO, Oct. 21, 2008
- "Primary Care and Health", Kansas Coalition for Healthcare for All, Lawrence, KS, Oct 20, 2008
- "The Bishop Fellowship", Association of Departments of Family Medicine Heart of America Meeting, Excelsior Springs MO, September 26, 2008
- "University of New Mexico / University of Kansas Health Science Centers: Observations, Comparisons, Contrasts", presentation to UNM HSC Leadership, Albuquerque NM, September 10, 2008.
Presented Papers (refereed selection)
- Freeman J, Kaufman A, Greiner KA, "Health extension service: models in the US", WONCA Conference, Cancún, Mexico, May 2010 (Presenter: Dr. Greiner)
- Freeman J, Candib L, Godfrey E, Gold M, Lesniewski R, Nothnagle M, Paladine H, "Teaching Advocacy: Lessons from the Family Medicine response to the murder of George Tiller", STFM Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, April 2010.
- Delzell J, Freeman J, "The 1, 5 and 10 Year Production of Family Physicians by US Medical Schools: How is your Primary Care Portfolio Performing?", Lecture-Discussion, STFM Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, April 2010
- González Blasco P, Aurelio Janaudis M, Roncoletta A, Moreto G,, Benedetto MA, García DS, Levites M, Freeman J, "Successful strategies for infiltrating family medicine into the university and incorporate family medicine core values in medical schools' Curricula: the Brazilian experience", WONCA Europe Conference, October 2010, Malaga, Spain
- Freeman J, "When you've seen one: A Bishop fellow compares structure and function of public AHCs", presented at Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Annual Conference, Denver, April 2009.
- Benson J, Pole D, Withy K, Witt D, Freeman J, Whiting E. "Pipeline kit to boost student interest in family medicine", presented at STFM Annual Conference, Denver, April 2009.
- Freeman J, Kelly PJ, Blasco P., Levites M, "Attitudes about family medicine among Brazilian medical students", paper presented at STFM Annual Conference, Denver, April 2009.
- Stucky, Nicholas, MS; Janell Jones; Ryan Smith; Claire Zeigler; Adam Obley; John May; Allen Greiner, MD; Joshua Freeman, MD, Utilizing a Strategic Planning Process to Guide the Function of a Student-run Free Clinic, STFM Predoctoral Education Conference, Savannah, January 2009.
- Delzell J, Chumley H, Moser S, Freeman J, Kennedy M "Increasing the number of students choosing family medicine: can we learn from a national leader?" STFM Annual Conference, Baltimore, April 2008.
- Dobbie A, Tysinger J, Freeman J, "Getting published-moving from curriculum development to educational research", STFM Predoctoral Education Conference, Portland OR, Jan, 2008.
- Freeman J, "Service Learning is no substitute for social justice", Family Medicine, Apr 2010; 42(4):235-6.
- Ferrer R, Freeman J, Comparing strategies to care for the underserved, Annals of Family Medicine "TRACK", Sept 25, 2008, http://www.annfammed.org/cgi/eletters/6/5/397.
- Freeman J, Massachusetts health plan and need for primary care, New York Times, Sept 17, 2008
- Freeman J, Response to abortion training, Family Medicine, May 2008
- Freeman J, Health care system needs more primary care physicians, Op-Ed "As I see it", Kansas City Star, Nov 8, 2008
Apr 05, 2012