Joshua Freeman, MD
KUMC-Professor and Department Chair
Medical School: Loyola-Stritch
Residency: Cook County Hospital, Chicago
Fellowship: Faculty Development, University of Arizona, Tucson
Dr. Freeman is the Alice M. Patterson, MD, and Harold L. Patterson, MD Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine and Chief of Family Medicine at the University of Kansas Hospital, and is also Professor of Preventive Medicine and Public Health and of Health Policy and Management. He serves nationally as the Secretary-Treasurer of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM), and as a member of the Board of Trustees of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He is Assistant Editor of the journal Family Medicine, is on the Board of Southwest Boulevard Family Care, and has previously served as Treasurer of the Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM), and on the Boards of the REACH Healthcare Foundation and Physicians for Reproductive Health and Choice. He is co-faculty advisor for the JayDoc Student-run Free Clinic, and for the Community Leadership track longitudinal elective. He served as Chair of the Steering Committee for Curricular Change (2003-05), and is a charter member of the School of Medicine's Academy of Medical Educators.
Dr. Freeman was a Fulbright Scholar in São Paulo, Brazil in 2003, and consults there frequently on establishment of family medicine in that country. In 2007-08, Dr. Freeman completed the joint American Council on Education fellowship to train leaders in higher education and the STFM Foundation Bishop Fellowship. His host institution was the University of New Mexico, where his mentor was Paul Roth, MD, Dean of the Medical School and Executive Vice President for Health Sciences. He received the STFM's highest honor, the Recognition Award, in 2006.
Dr. Freeman is a graduate of the Loyola-Stritch School of Medicine in Chicago, and completed his Family Medicine residency at Cook County Hospital, and a Faculty Development Fellowship and General Preventive Medicine residency at the University of Arizona. Prior to coming to KUMC in 2002, he previously served as Residency Program Director and Interim Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and at Cook County Hospital in Chicago where he was also on the faculty of the University of Illinois Schools of Medicine and Public Health. His research interests include medical education, faculty development and curricular innovation, and health care for underserved populations.
- Freeman J, "Assessment of Clinical Skills: Not just for interns anymore", editorial in Family Medicine, Jun2013;45(6);385-6.
- Iroku-Malize T, Matson C, Freeman J, McGrew M, David A, "Interprofessional Education", editorial, doi: 10.1370/afm.1523, Annals of Family Med March/April 2013 vol. 11 no. 2 188-189
- Freeman J., "Women in Family Medicine: Gender Diversity and Beyond", editorial in Family Medicine Mar 2011; 43(3):153-4.
- Freeman J, Delzell J, "Medical School Graduates Entering Family Medicine: Increasing the Overall Number", editorial in Family Medicine, Oct 2012; 44(9):613-4.
- Freeman J, McGrew M, "Producing family physicians: our medical schools must do a better job", editorial, Annals of Family Medicine 2012 Mar-Apr;10(2):178-9.
- Freeman, J, The American Academy of Family Physicians, Coca-Cola, and Ethics: A "Consumer Alliance" Serving the Public's Health?, Anthropology News, October 2010
- Freeman J, Kelly P, Gonzalez Blasco P, Levites M, "Attitudes about family medicine among Brazilian medical students", O Mundo da Saude, São Paulo, 2010Jul-Sep;34(3):327-35.
- *Freeman J. The Murder of George Tiller - Where is Family Medicine's Response? (editorial). Family Medicine. 2009 Sep;41(8):595-6.
- Dobbie A, Chumley H, Carter D, Freeman J. Integrating Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) into Family Medicine Clerkships: Addressing the Challenges. Education for Health. 2008.
- "Social determinants key to the future of Primary Care", Colorado Community Health Network, Denver, April 29, 2013.
- "Writing for Family Medicine", presented at University of North Texas Faculty Development Program, Fort Worth TX, March 23, 2013
- "The Big Picture: Social Justice and Health, and Health Care, in the US", Morris Goldberg Memorial Lecture, Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, IL, April 3, 2013.
- G. Gayle Stephens Lecturer, Primary Care Access Conference, sponsored by the Coast Research Group. San Francisco, CA, April 18, 2011.
- "Family Medicine: The Social Justice Specialty", Family Medicine Midwest Conference, Itasca, IL, November 10, 2012.
- "Health care reform and the primary care conundrum", with Cynthia Teel, Lee Norman and Diane Ebbert, Emerging Trends series, KUMC, November 19, 2012.
- "Health care challenges in Wyandotte County" Juntos event, KUMC, February 16, 2012
- "Social Justice and Health", the Henry A. Withers Memorial Lecture, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Department of Family and Community Medicine, Houston, TX, May 9 2012.
- White Coat Ceremony speaker, Ross University, Dominica, May 14 2010
- "The implications of recent health reform on the health of the public", Social Justice Interest Group, University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, April 15, 2010.
- "The consequences of federal health reform legislation: what just happened?" roundtable, 21st National Conference on Primary Care Health Access, Kauai, HI, April 12, 2010.
- "Transforming Primary care and community health through Healthcare Cooperative Extension Service", American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Multi-state conference, Dallas, Feb 27, 2010.
Presented Papers (refereed selection)
- Washington J, Davis-Smith M, Freeman J, Gonsalves W, "Empowering Minority Faculty to Inspire Future Family Physicians, STFM Annual Conference, Seattle, April 2012.
- Freeman J, Kaufman A, Pearce K, Fagnan L, Wellever A, Murray DA, "Health Extension Services: Development in four states and the creation of a 4-state collaborative model", STFM Annual Conference, Seattle, April 2012.
- Freeman J, "Health reform, the health of the public, and Family Medicine", Primary Care Access Conference, Carlsbad, CA, April 16, 2012.
- Freeman J, Kaufman A, Koukel S, Murray D, Nkouaga C, Rennekamp R, "Health extension: cooperative extension and medical extension creating a win-win collaboration", Priester National Health Extension Conference, Washington DC, April 12, 20-12.
- Delzell J, Freeman J, "The inter-professional teaching clinic", ADFM Winter Meeting, Rancho Mirage, CA, Feb 24, 2012.
- Washington, J, Davis-Smith M, Gonsalves W, Freeman J, "Encouraging minority medical students to enter family medicine", STFM Medical Student Education Conference, Long Beach, CA, Feb 3, 2012
- Perkins A, Freeman J, "'Professional' blogging: Experiences and Lessons From Academic Family Physicians", STFM Annual Conference, New Orleans, May 1, 2011.
- Saultz J, Freeman J, "Writing and reviewing papers for Family Medicine". STFM Annual Conference, New Orleans, April 30, 2011.
- Freeman J, "Working for Social Justice As a Physician: The Role of Family Medicine", 37th STFM Medical Student Education Conference, Houston, TX, January 23, 2011
- Greiner KA, Freeman J, "Say 'Yes' to the community: the KU Family Medicine research story", Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM) Annual Conference, Charleston SC, February 2011
- Mainous AG, Freeman J, "Strategies to improve the quality of medical education research and get it published", 37th STFM Medical Student Education Conference, Houston, TX, January 22, 2011.
- Freeman J, "Creating and maintaining student activists and physicians for rural areas", "Corporate contributions to medical organizations". Left Forum. Pace University, NY, NY, March 19-20, 2011.
- Freeman J, Candib L, Godfrey E, Gold M, Lesniewski R, Nothnagle M, Paladine H, "Teaching Advocacy: Lessons from the Family Medicine response to the murder of George Tiller", STFM Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, April 2010.
- Delzell J, Freeman J, "The 1, 5 and 10 Year Production of Family Physicians by US Medical Schools: How is your Primary Care Portfolio Performing?", Lecture-Discussion, STFM Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, April 2010
- González Blasco P, Aurelio Janaudis M, Roncoletta A, Moreto G,, Benedetto MA, García DS, Levites M, Freeman J, "Successful strategies for infiltrating family medicine into the university and incorporate family medicine core values in medical schools' Curricula: the Brazilian experience", WONCA Europe Conference, October 2010, Malaga, Spain
Feb 17, 2014