Allen Greiner, MD, MPH
KUMC-Professor and Associate Chair for Research
Medical School: University of Kansas
Residency: University of Kansas, Family Medicine
Fellowships: Primary Care Research Fellowship, University of Kansas, Masters of Public Health degree; Clendening History of Medicine Fellowship, University of Kansas; Grant Generating Project, AAFP; Sunflower Clinical Scholars Program, University of Kansas.
Dr. Greiner serves as Medical Director / Health Officer for the Health Department of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, KS. He is a member for the Board of Directors of the Community Health Council of Wyandotte County, the Duschene Clinic, and Southwest Boulevard Family Care. He is faculty co-advisor for the JayDoc Free Clinic, and for the medical school's Community Leadership track. He directs the Rural Primary Care Practice and Research Program and linked Kansas Physicians Engaged in Prevention Research (KPEPR) Network, is a National Institutes of Health (NIH) Health Disparities Scholar, was a 2004 Kemper Fellowship Award winner and the 2010 Nason Family Award for Excellence in Family Medicine Education recipient.
(Published or in press)
- James TM, Greiner KA, Ellerbeck EF, Feng C, Ahluwalia JS. Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Screening: A Guideline-based Analysis of Adherence (in press, Ethnicity and Disease, MS #04-109).
- Moreland S, Engelman K, Greiner KA, Mayo MS. Papanicolaou testing among Native American and Hispanic populations. (In Press, Ethnicity and Disease, , MS #04-120).
- Greiner KA, James AS, Born W, Hall S, Engelman KK, Okuyemi KS, Ahluwalia JS. Predictors of Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT) Completion Among Low Income Adults. Preventive Medicine 2005;41:676-634.
- Engelman KK, Perpich DL, Peterson SL, Hall, MA, Ellerbeck, EF, Stanton AL, Greiner, KA. Cancer Information Needs in Rural Areas. Journal of Health Communication. 2005; 10(3): 199-208.
- Greiner KA, Born W, Nollen N, Ahluwalia JS. Knowledge and Perceptions of Colorectal Cancer Screening Among Urban African Americans. Journal of General Internal Medicine.2005;0:1525-1497.
- James AS, Greiner KA, Born W, Buckles D, Hall S, Ahluwalia JS. Socioeconomic Status and Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screening in Diverse Low-Income Adults. (Submitted, Cancer Detection and Prevention).
- Okuyemi KS, Nollen N, Hall S, Rhode P, Lee RE, Greiner KA, Ahluwalia JS. Cigarette Smoking, Diet, and Physical Activity in a Homeless Population. (submitted, Journal of Urban Health).
- Pulvers KM, Born W, Greiner KA, Nollen NL, Kaur H, Hall S, Fitzgibbon ML, Ahluwalia JS. Do you see what I see? Body image perceptions among obese rural primary care patients and their physicians. (Submitted, International Journal of Obesity)
- Pulvers, K. M., Born, W., Greiner, K. A., Nollen, N. L., Kaur, H., Hall, S., Fitzgibbon, M. L., & Ahluwalia, J. S. (2005, April). Do you see what I see? Body image perceptions among obese rural primary care patients and their physicians. Poster presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, Boston, MA
- James AS, Engelman K, Smith C, Greiner KA. (2005, March). Colorectal Cancer Screening in a Family Medicine Clinic. Poster presented at the American Society of Preventive Oncology Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Lee RE, Greiner KA, Kimminau K, Hall S, Allison A. "Ecologic Correlates of Obesity in Rural Obese Adults." Oral Presentation. Society of Behavioral Medicine, Annual Meeting. April 2005, Boston, MA. Selection was peer reviewed.
- Engelman KK, James AS, Smith C, Greiner KA. Feasibility and acceptance of primary care touchscreen kiosks. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, Boston, MA. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 2005; 29; S085.
- Hutcheson T, Greiner KA, Jeffries S, Li C, Nazir N, Ellerbeck E. "The Association of Motivation and Setting a Quit Date in Rural Smokers." Oral Presentation. Society of Behavioral Medicine, Annual Meeting. April 2005, Boston, MA. Received Meritorious Student Abstract Award.
Honors and Awards
- Rainbow Award Nominee, University of Kansas Medical Center, one of five nominees for student sponsored "Heroes in Medicine" award, 2005.
- Received 2010 Nason Family Award for Excellence in Family Medicine Education.
Academic and Administrative Positions
Medical Officer, Kansas City, Kansas Unified Government Health Department, Kansas City, Kansas
Interim Director, Rural Preceptorship Clerkship Program, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, Kansas
- KA Greiner, Principal Investigator, "Tailored Touchscreen Computers for Colorectal Cancer Prevention in Urban Core Clinics," R01 mechanism, National Institute of Health, National Cancer Institute. (under review) Co-Investigator, "Use of Novel Tailored reminders in Rural primary Care," K21, National Institutes of Health, AHRQ/NCI, Engelman (PI), 7/01/05 - 6/30/10. (Funding anticipated in Feb. 2006)
- Co-Investigator, "KUMC Clinical Research Curriculum Program" K30, National Institutes of Health, Ellerbeck (PI), 7/01/05 - 6/30/10.
- Co-Investigator, Primary Author, Program Director, "Patients in Diverse Communities," Health Resources and Service Administration, Academic Administrative Units in Primary Care (1D54HP00194-01), Freeman (PI), $510,000 total direct costs, 9/1/03 - 8/31/06.
- Co-Investigator, "Disease Management for Smokers in Rural Primary Care," National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, 1 R01 CA101963-01, Ellerbeck (PI), 7/01/03 - 6/30/08.
- Principal Investigator, "Colorectal Cancer Screening in Underserved Populations," American Cancer Society Cancer Control Career Development Award for Primary Care Physicians, $165,000 total direct costs, no cost extension to 6/30/06.
Feb 17, 2014