Faculty Council Overview
Faculty Council meetings are held every other month in Sudler Auditorium from 4:30p to 5:30p. All faculty are welcome to attend. Dates for the 2013-14 meetings are September 23, 2013, November 19, 2013, January 27, 2014, March 24, 2014, May 5, 2014.
The School of Medicine's Faculty Council elected Wolfram Zueckert, PhD as the Faculty Council Chair-Elect and Stewart Babbott, MD as the Faculty Council Vice Chair-Elect, they will serve in the 2014-15 academic year. Dr. Zueckert is an Associate Professor in Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology and Dr. Babbott is a Professor and Division Director in Internal Medicine. They were elected from a very distinguished pool of candidates and will do fantastic jobs in their roles.
Congratulations Dr. Zueckert and Dr. Babbott!
Click the link for a list of the 2013-14 Faculty Council Members.
Please contact Laura Jennemann or email Faculty Council for more information.
The core of faculty governance is the Faculty Council and its five standing committees. The Faculty Council is a representative group empowered to conduct the most of the business of the faculty.
Delegates are elected by each department. The number of full-time faculty members determines the number of delegates from each department.
|Faculty Members (Full-Time) in a Department
||# of Delegates
|up to 20
|more than 60
In addition to the delegates, the Council includes:
- Chairs of each of the five standing committees: Academic and Professionalism Committee, Education Council, Elections Committee, Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Committee (both Kansas City and Wichita), and Research Committee.
- Student representatives (non-voting): two Phase I, three Phase II- one each from Kansas City and Wichita campuses, one student from Salina campus, one graduate student each from Kansas City and Wichita campuses.
- Four delegates at large, elected from the faculty: two must be from basic science and two from clinical departments, one must be from the Wichita campus.
- Four departmental chairs: one must be from a Kansas City basic science department, two from Kansas City clinical departments, and one from the Wichita campus.
- One faculty member, appointed from the Salina Campus.
- The Executive Dean, Dean of the Wichita campus, and Director of the Salina Campus (ex officio,
The Faculty Council is charged with conducting the business of the medical faculty including, but not limited to:
- To propose, review, and/or recommend actions relative to major academic programs of the School of Medicine; including:
- The review of recommendations from the Education Council relative to the details of revision in the curriculum and its organization that is consistent with, and necessary to attain, overall educational goals;
- The review of recommendations from the Academic and Professionalism Committee that require changes to prerequisite requirements or significant changes to admissions policy; and determining which recommendations from the Academic and Professionalism Committee shall go to the Medical Faculty for approval;
- To review and recommend discontinuation of School of Medicine programs to the Executive Committee in accordance with the Handbook for Faculty and Other Unclassified Staff.
- To receive reports of the Standing Committees via the Executive Committee and to review the actions taken.
- To forward recommendations to the Faculty and/or the Executive Committee.
- To appoint eligible members of the faculty to fill what otherwise would have been elected seats on the standing committees and at-large positions on faculty council that are vacated during the year, and which cannot be filled by the Spring elections in a timely manner. These appointments will be for the remainder of the term of the replaced faculty member.
- To formulate changes of the Bylaws of the School of Medicine and to bring these to the Medical Faculty for consideration and action.
- To call special meetings of the Medical Faculty (see II.3.2).
- To receive and consider any matters presented to it by any member of the Faculty Council, the Executive Committee, or the Executive Dean of the School of Medicine.
The Faculty Council meets at least quarterly. The Chair is responsible for the agenda in consultation with the Executive Dean.
Additional meetings may be called at the request of the Executive Committee, the Chair of Faculty Council, or the Executive Dean. Meetings may also be called by written petition of 10 Council members or 20 voting faculty members.
A quorum of 50 percent plus one of the voting members is required. Members with more than 50 percent unexcused absences in one year are replaced. Alternates are not permitted if a Council member is unable to attend a meeting.
Minutes of Faculty Council meetings must be made available to all SOM faculty members.
The Chair of the Faculty Council shall represent the Faculty Council on the Steering Committee of the Faculty Assembly.
Agendas and Minutes for Faculty Council Meetings
2013-14 Meeting Agendas:
2013-14 Meeting Minutes:
- September 23, 2013 - pending approval
- November 19, 2013
- January 27, 2014
- March 24, 2014
- May 5, 2014
2012-2013 Meeting Agendas:
2012-2013 Meeting Minutes:
Office of the Executive Dean
Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development
This page last updated October 2013.
Nov 27, 2013