Basic Science Faculty
Immediately upon receiving your appointment, you should begin the following steps that are required before you begin research:
Four to six months before your first day
Schedule your University of Kansas Research Institute (RI) Faculty Orientation:
- Contact Kelly Robertson, administrative officer, 913-588-5436 or email@example.com, to schedule your orientation. All grants are process through the Research Institute, which administers federally and privately funded research projects and clinical trials within the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Moving An Existing Research Program to KUMC:
- Moving your existing research lab or project, including moving animals: Immediately upon accepting your appointment, contact your chair for help with this process. For further assistance, contact the KUMC Research Institute Division of Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), 913-588-1251 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Hiring staff for your lab: Specific job descriptions are available for post-docs and research assistants. To advertise for newly created positions you must work through your department administrator with the Human Resources office. These are positions with the state of Kansas and rigid guidelines for hiring apply.
Four weeks before your first day, or sooner
Get your password
- Shortly after your offer letter is received by your department administrator, someone in your department will provide you with your KUMC network username and password and a list of training you must complete. You can then log in to myKUMC to complete the required CHALK training modules.
- Six required employment compliance training modules are explained on the KUMC New Employee Orientation website (for all state of Kansas employees).*
- Complete the University of Kansas Physicians Inc. (UKP) Compliance Training. For instructions, call 913-588-6629*
- Complete research compliance training modules: Prior to performing any research, all basic scientists and clinical researchers are required to complete additional compliance training related to:
Animal Researchers (only if your research will involve animals)
*These steps also can be completed within 30 days after your start date.
One to three weeks before your first day
University of Kansas HR Online Orientation
- Review and complete the KUMC New Employee Orientation website (state of Kansas employees) for any required paperwork that may be completed before your first day of work and to assist with expediting the payroll process.
Your first Monday of employment
Attend the New Employee Meet and Greet
- You will be scheduled by your department to attend the meeting from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., where you will complete insurance and retirement paperwork and learn about pay cycles, parking and other information. Review the KUMC New Employee Orientation website for documents you will need to bring with you.
I.D. Badges & Professional Portraits
- KUMC employee I.D. badge (for all state of Kansas employees) will be issued by the Employment Office. Your department must assign security access to restricted areas as well as after-hour access to campus buildings, via notification to University Police. Without this assignment from your hiring department, appropriate access credentials to restricted areas cannot be applied to your badge. Highly restricted areas include all research areas.
Plan Ahead: Your First Month
Plan Ahead: Your First Year
At any time you are welcome to contact me or the staff of the KU School of Medicine Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development office. Your success is important to us, both for your own job satisfaction as well as your role in the success of our institution.
Dianne Durham, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
School of Medicine
University of Kansas Medical Center
Dec 18, 2013