Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Overview
Are you considering going up for promotion this year? Here are a few questions to answer before deciding to move forward with this important decision.
- Do you know the requirements for your rank and track? Check the Tracks-Ranks-Levels Summary.
- Now you know what is needed for promotion, but what exactly does that mean? Check out the Domain Definitions-Examples-Levels Guide to find definitions and examples for each domain and each level.
- So you have an idea of the requirements for your track and rank, can you document your accomplishments according to the criteria? Is it enough to justify promotion/tenure? Keep reading.
- Seek advice and input from your Department Chair, Division Director, and/or your Departmental APT Committee Chair. Once you get the thumbs up....
- Submit a Registration Form by May 2, 2016. (Available starting March 1.)
- The first step is complete! Now Where Do I Start?
- If you are on the tenure track and started in 2011 (or received an extension), this is your mandatory year to apply for promotion and tenure. You will be notified by FAD or your Chair before March 1, 2016.
- The same as above for associate professors without tenure that started in 2011. You may apply for Tenure Only at your current rank OR for promotion and tenure.
- We recommend reviewing the Guidelines for Promotion and Tenure or the Manual for Volunteer Faculty, if you are not familiar with the full requirements.
- We are very happy to help with any questions you may have! Keep in mind that FAD in KC and FAPD in Wichita receive a LOT of questions from March to September. We apologize for any delays and would like to suggest two things to help you receive a quick answer. The website should have everything you need, including an FAQ, please check these pages first. And if you still have questions, emails will always be answered more quickly than phone messages. After all, we always have our cell phones (or laptops or iPads) to check and reply to email, but our office phones are more difficult to take with us when we leave our offices. Thanks for your consideration and patience!
Once your registration has been received, it will be reviewed and an email with the next steps will be sent. Or you can go here, if you cannot wait to get started!
2016-17 Quick Timeline
March 1 to May 2, 2016: Registration is open for those faculty members that intend to apply for promotion and/or tenure in Fall 2016.
May 2, 2016: Deadline for submitting a Registration Form.
August 1, 2016: Deadline for Departmental APT Committee to review applicants. The department letters should be sent to the Department Chair in plenty of time to write his/her review letter for each applicant.
September 1, 2016: Deadline for Chair and Departmental APT Letters.
September 1, 2016: Applicant's packets are due! Access will be removed from SharePoint at 5pm.
Start early and don't forget to add your references!
Office of Faculty Affairs and Development (FAD)
Dianne Durham, PhD, Associate Dean
Laura Jennemann, Director
Krista Wimberly, Assistant Director
Heather Williams, Administrator
Cari Zimmerman, Administrator
Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development (FAPD)
Anne Walling, MBChB, Associate Dean
Marianne Eyles, Senior Coordinator
Feb 10, 2016